Need wiring supplies and maybe some advice in Toronto

Tim

Administrator
Staff member
Looking to start the process of wiring up the 650 ;D I'm starting from scratch, so I need wire, connectors etc.

Anywhere in the GTA to buy this sort of stuff? Any recommendations on gauge of wire etc?

Well, there is a section of road east of Dixie on Matheson that has a bunch of electrical shops where you can get wire, connectors, etc. As for wire gauge, I'd use 16 on most stuff, with 14 gauge for power lines.

Just a guess. but based on looking at what i have lying around

I was going to do all new wiring for my XS400. Is that what you're doing? Or are you using/modifying the wiring harness?

Going from scratch - all new and minimal.

Headlight with on/off/hi
Tail light
Brake light switched on front lever and rear foot control
Horn
Turn signals front and rear
Starter button (just in case I end up with the electric starter)
Kill switch

Think that should cover it. Going to run a newer AGM motorcycle battery under the hump of my seat - making a tray for it this week. Will likely run just turn signal switch on the left handlebar and horn / kill switch on the right for safety. Start switch will likely be under the seating area.

I haven't found much in the way of simple clean handlebar switches. Might go with some like the ones on this site:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/motorcycle/switches.php

after Laying out the harness you can buy a special tape that chemically bonds to itself to seal the wiring loom. My friend made one up for his Morgan ....let me know .....if you want I can find out where he bought it.

Steve

That would be great! The loom is also on my list of 'what do I do?'.

You can buy the tape at Quickcable...6395 Kestrel in Miss. ph. (905) 362-1606 .....bout $8 a roll.

It is non adhesive and bonds to itself......you may want to wrap twice for strength.

Here's a link..... http://www.quickcable.com/

Steve

Have you bought stuff there before? I just called, and they seemed to suggest they aren't open for walk-in business - they pointed me to one of their distributors.

My friend walked in and got it over the counter.....but that was last year....if you get stuck let me know and I might be able to pick some up for you.

No problem - I was looking at all their other stuff - they have everything I think I'd need to do the entire harness, except the connectors for the headlight bulb and stator. Wire, solderless connectors, loom etc.

I might swing by as I'm going to be in the area today.

you should be able to find a used harness pretty cheap to use as a donor for the headlight connector and the stator.I got mine for $5 shipped. I also used a later harness on my 73 tx so I could get blade type fuses to eliminate the old style.

Wow Tim, sounds like you're dialed in and ready to rock! You should be ready to spark it up by the weekend! ;)

I dream of doing something like that, but I take one look at this wiring harness for the KZ900 and I start to twitch and break out in a cold sweat! :eek: :eek:

I wanna hear all the gory details of this, o'k? ;D

One trick that someone once mentioned to me was to use a pegboard and an old loom as a template.

You arrange the hooks as per the stock loom (ie, where they are bunched, where the wires separate from the loom, etc) and then retrace using your new wires.

This may not work for you, but it's a hella idea for doing a stock loom replacement.

Back
Top Bottom