WANTED: Inexpensive Exhaust Wrap

MBS

Live, breath, sleep HONDA!
Hey all, I am wrapping one pipe on my CB125CR single. Ebay sells non-black wrap for $65 bucks plus shipping which would put my exhaust cost over $160.00 - more than it should cost in my opinion. Plus a roll of the stuff may be more than I need for the one pipe. So I am looking for some wrap on the cheap. Anyone have any sources or some unused wrap hanging around?? PM me. Thanks, -MBS

Represto said:

Yeah I just searched again and found some better deals. I don't know why but last time I searched on Ebay all I got was the pricey stuff. Thanks for the heads up. Any pointers on wrapping exhaust? I have never done it before. Do you just wrap and clamp it or so you wet it first? I seem to have the idea in my head that its a ceramic type stuff that needs to be moist prior to application. But like I said I don't have a clue.

Soaking it in water makes it more pliable and wraps around the curves better and shrinks while drying. I didn't use clamps, I used bare wire to tie off the ends for a cleaner look.

I just bought some myself...it's in the mail. Until it gets here, I'll do some flange polishing...

IMG_9282.jpg

Top is almost done, bottom is how they started.

Might as polish up some other stuff too...
IMG_9283.jpg

Nice! i will do the same if I go with a finned clamp. Let me know how your wrap works out since you will have yours before I get mine. ;D

DrJ said:
Soaking it in water makes it more pliable and wraps around the curves better and shrinks while drying. I didn't use clamps, I used bare wire to tie off the ends for a cleaner look.

Yeah I like the bare wire look too. I think I am going to use these nice stainless steel zip straps I got from the power company (guy I know had some extra on his truck). They are really nice flat metal straps. I used them on my 750 cafe for holding the wire harness to the frame in visible spots. In the picture they are on the frame right in front of the oil tank. They look great but once they are on there, your cutting them off there is not undoing them.

0817081427_01.jpg

DrJ I forgot to ask in that last reply how long did you soak it in water and did you keep it flat? Did you wrap it soaking wet or damp? (this is potentially a dumb question sorry). I also remember reading something about a smoke issue you or someone else had with heat heat wrap, what was the cuase of that? Like I said I never used the stuff before. -MBS

Are you going to spray the wrap as well? I didn't buy any and I'm not even entirely sure what it does. Anyone?

Now that I've wire wheeled the shit outta my flanges, should I put some kind of clear coat on them?

dr j has a review of heat wrap in, believe it or not, the review section of this board.
from memory it details the installation procedure. the smoking was actually due to an oil leak dripping onto the exhaust.
the wrap can be painted with silicon paint, i believe it is to prevent water ingress, the pipes may rust away under the wrap otherwise?

Well first of all, the wire wheeled flanges should be cleared in my opinion since they are steel based and could rust. If they are aluminum then don't worry about it. I bought some wrap and plan to check out that thread. Thanks for the heads up, I know I saw it before but did not know where on the forum it was. Thanks again!

I use DEI to wrap and soak it in a large pan while I wrap the pipes. No smoke or smell after I did it.

MBS said:
DrJ I forgot to ask in that last reply how long did you soak it in water and did you keep it flat? Did you wrap it soaking wet or damp? (this is potentially a dumb question sorry). I also remember reading something about a smoke issue you or someone else had with heat heat wrap, what was the cuase of that? Like I said I never used the stuff before. -MBS

Only need to soak it for a few minutes until it gets soggy. And to keep it tight around the pipe you just hold it tight with your thumb each time the wrap goes around. I've taped lots of bicycle handlebars so I've had a bit of practice. The wrap will smoke and stink for the first several hours after you run the motor but will go away. Yes, I did a review on wrap: http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=4032.0

Back
Top Bottom