1980 Honda CX500D Street Tracker Finished

Ride/Hike

After purchasing this former Cafe project from another builder, made several modifications & test ran before dis-assembly. Did not keep some of the modifications on the bike like HD mufflers seen in the following photo. Going with bar end mirrors. Have different turn signals than seen in the photo, too.

Using Hotwings Glass front fender and (modified) GL1000 Darkwing seat pan. Installed progressive fork springs. Installed Igni Tec ignition and water pump mechanical seal. Will try 90/120 jets. Purchased a set of 1978 wheels with 18" rear. Using Bikemaster European handlebars. Rebuilt the front brake caliper after powder coating. Purchased all new cables. Installed Ducati electric radiator fan.

Used the space where the air box was located for the battery and voltage regulator mounted on a easy to remove tray. Installing K&N pod filters. Also made a set of flat plastic UHMW side panels to replace the original side panels. Have done other work not mentioned, too.

Trading Paint, Carthage NC, painted the tank, seat pan, front fender, radiator guard, and side panels. Americoat, Denver NC, coated many pieces including the frame & ceramic coated the Mac 2 into 1 exhaust system. I painted the engine & various parts with 500F primer/paint.

Currently assembling the bike. Last work completed mounted engine & installed All Balls tapered bearings in steering head. Next job will be installing swing arm with new bearings bearings.

Re: CX500D Tracker Project

Nice work so far. I'm interested to see how the color scheme ends up looking when it's done.

May end up either polishing or powder coating the valve covers.

Will see how it looks when put together.

Thanks,

Installed front forks today and replaced OEM turn signals with Speedmetal Micro Arrow turn signals. Will install rear swing arm & bearngs next to keep the bike balanced on the jack.

Here's a shot of the 1978 Honda CX500 Comstar wheels that will be installed. The rear is 18" and front is 19".

Edit:

Got the swing arm installed:

Lucky score to get a cx500 with an 18" rear wheel. Nice work, looking forward to the end result.

This one had 1980 Comstar wheels (16" rear & 19" front) when I bought it. Found 1978 front & rear wheels on the CX500 forum for good prices and they were straight wheels, too.

Thanks!

Thanks,

The paint is white base & red painted pin stripes, coated with pearl & clear coat. Did not paint the wheels except rear brake drum & front hub. The badges were powder coated chrome color. The Mac 2 into 1 exhaust is ceramic coated flat black. Extended the side stand 3/4" with the 18" rear wheel. Stock rear wheel was 16".

The coolant tube o-ring leaked when I put anti-freeze in it, while replacing the o-ring I stripped the paint & polished the tube.

I'm glad you decided to polish the coolant tube. Gives the engine some needed contrast. Nice work on the wheels too.

Thanks, will probably do something to the valve covers for more contrast, too.

Have some family visiting, not much progress this weekend, but installed the differential, yesterday. Will install wheels & side stand, next.

Able to get some assembly done this afternoon :) :

Extended the side stand 3/4" and raised the rear 1" with the installation of the 18" rear wheel. All 1978 CX500s came stock
with the 18" rear wheel. This 1980 CX500 came stock with 16" rear wheel. Took this shot without a 2X4 under the side stand:

One more project done this afternoon.

Mac 2 into 1:

Set the tank and seat pan on the bike for a few minutes tonight. Other painted parts not installed are side panels and front fender.
Seat height came in at 33". Still have plenty of work to do, but wanted to see how the colors work together.

Modified the shifter since the 2 into 1 exhaust is routed on the right side. Also showing fit of the brake pedal & 2 into 1 exhaust. Taking the exhaust off next to help it fit better:

Rear brake linkage:

Think I'll be watching this build, even if I think the CX500 represents the ugliest thing Honda has ever done...oh wait. I have a 78...redone that seat mount yet, Bill?

Farmer_John said:
Think I'll be watching this build, even if I think the CX500 represents the ugliest thing Honda has ever done...oh wait. I have a 78...redone that seat mount yet, Bill?

:)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!!!!!!!

Working on the seat mounts, electrical, and cables tonight. Going to use my original seat brackets, but with reinforcement where needed. Will send you photos when complete. Going to rain here tomorrow, so will be working on the CX.

They sure have some nice bikes on this forum!

Made some progress today.

Still need to install front fender, handle bars, gauges, connect control cables, connect wiring on front/rear lights
and install battery.

Thanks,

Working on installing front fender, gauges, headlamp, and handle bars. Will post progress photos.

Back
Top Bottom