Comply to Ontario Standards

Saqibm7575

Hello everyone!

I just recently picked up a Kawasaki ninja 250 And was thinking of doing some custom bodywork! I came across 31 BLK body kit and fell in love with It!

Link:https://blklabmotorcycles.com/collections/shop/products/31blk-ii-for-the-ninja-250-single-seat

However, I have been to told that Ontario, Canada has very strict safety inspections laws. That said i was hoping if anyone knows if this body kit passes the safety laws here in Ontario.

Thanks for reading everyone!!

Hi there saqibm and welcome to DTT.

That kit doesn't seem to radically alter the structure of the bike in any way, as well the description on the producer's website says it's a bolt-on. This shouldn't affect the inspection of your bike.

That said, if you're concerned about it, then get the bike saftied, insured and plated before you install the body kit. Our inspections here are pretty rigorous, but not terrible. There are literally hundreds of heavily-modified bikes on our roads; a simple body kit won't be noticed at all.

Where in ON are you located?

***edit***

Upon closer inspection, that kit appears to eliminate the headlight. You will absolutely need one of those for safety. I'd ask the kit producer, just to verify.

Safety standards generally are not affected by bodywork that is properly installed. Where people run into problems is modifying the frame structure. As Cookie has said you can get your bike certified and then make your modifications, just remember that the MTO can pull your plates and force re certification if they see the bike and feel there is something about it that won't certify (and I know of at least one bobber case where that scenario played out...VERY EXPENSIVE!) The are a couple of other problems with questionable modifications. One is resale value, if the bike frame has been modified it may be considered damaged and therefore can't be certified. The second thing to remember is that if you certify a standard configuration and then modify, your insurance company has a wide open door to escape any claim payment and you can be sure they will be looking for anyway possible to avoid paying. "False pretenses", I think, is the term they use.

You can find an overview of the safety requirements here. https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900611#BK11

Cookie said:
Hi there saqibm and welcome to DTT.

***edit***

Upon closer inspection, that kit appears to eliminate the headlight. You will absolutely need one of those for safety. I'd ask the kit producer, just to verify.

INCLUDED IN THE KIT
Gullwing headlights w/H3 Halogen bulbs

Back
Top Bottom