"the Mooch"

Attachments

• lies.JPG
    lies.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 398
J-Rod10 said:
China isn't dumb enough to start a war with us.

Agreed. Unlike our moron in chief, the Chinese are a little more aware of the consequences of their actions - and words.

Re: "the Mooch"

I wonder what percentage of pork exported to china is “frozen” vs “chilled”.
Very careful wording there, will be interesting to see what the actual outcomes of these actions are.

Serious question.

China has been stealing out tech for years and years, and selling it back to the consumers at a fraction of the cost. What do you do about that? Just let them, in fear of a "trade war?" Or, do something to combat it? How can you combat it?

The general consumer doesn't really care. They like going to Wal-Mart and saving money.

J-Rod10 said:
Serious question.

China has been stealing out tech for years and years, and selling it back to the consumers at a fraction of the cost. What do you do about that? Just let them, in fear of a "trade war?" Or, do something to combat it? How can you combat it?

The general consumer doesn't really care. They like going to Wal-Mart and saving money.

Online shopping makes this a logistics nightmare, unless you screen every shipment entering from said country. There really isn’t a way unless you have some real powerful bargaining chips to get their government to crack down on it themselves.
But that’s never going to happen.
This isn’t a new problem, there’s a reason that patents exist. Unfortunately they’re only worth what you are willing to spend to defend them.

farmer92 said:
Online shopping makes this a logistics nightmare, unless you screen every shipment entering from said country. There really isn’t a way unless you have some real powerful bargaining chips to get their government to crack down on it themselves.
But that’s never going to happen.
This isn’t a new problem, there’s a reason that patents exist. Unfortunately they’re only worth what you are willing to spend to defend them.
You really can't defend them, against a company operating in China, selling direct to consumer.

But, if you put a tariff on the goods, and it makes them more expensive than those bought domestically, you might see people buying those instead.

Reminds me of a story I once saw. The guy that created, and patented the selfie stick was at a trade show, as a spectator. There was a booth selling "The Original" selfie stick. The company was from China, and had made deals with so many retailers, that the guy couldn't go after them all. Essentially, he got the big boom when he released them, and a month later, China flooded the market.

J-Rod10 said:
You really can't defend them, against a company operating in China, selling direct to consumer.

But, if you put a tariff on the goods, and it makes them more expensive than those bought domestically, you might see people buying those instead.

Reminds me of a story I once saw. The guy that created, and patented the selfie stick was at a trade show, as a spectator. There was a booth selling "The Original" selfie stick. The company was from China, and had made deals with so many retailers, that the guy couldn't go after them all. Essentially, he got the big boom when he released them, and a month later, China flooded the market.

exactly, patents are useless really.

i suppose you could put tariffs on them, but how to narrow it to the ones that fit the patent infringement category?
I doubt it's logistically viable, but the Donald sure is trying i will give him that.

How has the Al/steel tariff worked out? have you seen much of a cost increase?
How has the 20% on Canadian lumber affected construction businesses i wonder?

It's all a trade off, you can't protect everyone unfortunately.

Last batch of 6061 I bought was from $0.35 to $1 a foot, depending on size, more than the batch before. In the normal range of fluctuation. I've only ever bought Kaiser though, made in the US. I've seen a lot of guys bitching about prices going up considerably on steel, but they're buying import. So that makes sense.

Far as wood goes, everything is higher this time of the year. Spring time rolls around, homebuilding supplies go up like clockwork.

J-Rod10 said:
Last batch of 6061 I bought was from $0.35 to $1 a foot, depending on size, more than the batch before. In the normal range of fluctuation. I've only ever bought Kaiser though, made in the US. I've seen a lot of guys bitching about prices going up considerably on steel, but they're buying import. So that makes sense.

Far as wood goes, everything is higher this time of the year. Spring time rolls around, homebuilding supplies go up like clockwork.

We buy a lot of american steel and it's gone up 20% simply because they can. It's infuriating. Everyone's expecting a price increase so why not give it to them. Steel went up across the board, so basically everyone is paying more regardless of what they buy. Backfire if you ask me. The whole point was to increase the chinese stuff's price so the american companies can compete. Instead the american companies just took it as an opportunity to price gouge and are still higher than the chinese stuff.

Not only that, but now all of us american manufacturers that use steel are getting raped, and the chinese knock off of our products are not any higher (they are using their cheap steel without tariffs after all) so if it wasn't already impossible to compete it certainly is now since the american manufacturer is being double fucked.

The way I see it these tariffs helped 130 steel mills and fucked over millions of manufacturing businesses. This is not the way to get business back in America.
I now have to seriously consider buying my products from a chinese company that literally stole our designs because I can almost no longer compete with them if I make them in the states.
They have every advantage and we as a manufacturer have none. The only saving grace is I get to put a "Made in America" sticker on the product, but realistically a minuscule percentage of people actually give a shit where it's made as long as it does what it's supposed to do. It would be cheaper and more profitable for me to import my own knockoffs than to continue to manufacture here, the only reason we still do it is because of the investment we have in machinery and the people we employ.

Way to make america great again.

SONIC. said:
The way I see it these tariffs helped 130 steel mills and fucked over millions of manufacturing businesses. This is not the way to get business back in America.

This is exactly what is going on. This administration is about "optics" but they are frequently more like "optical illusions" that sound good to the people who don't think much about the consequences or know much about how economies work.

Jimmy Kimmel had a 2nd grader make a 2-minute presentation to explain trade deficits for the president. I imagine if he watched it he'd learn something. Kimmel's not on Fox, however, so the chances of that are slim.

Be interesting to see what it looks like in the long(er) term.

Price bump makes sense if they are gearing up to expand. If not, they're just assholes.

J-Rod10 said:
Be interesting to see what it looks like in the long(er) term.

Price bump makes sense if they are gearing up to expand. If not, they're just assholes.

A price bump is the sole purpose of a tariff.

farmer92 said:
A price bump is the sole purpose of a tariff.

No it's not.
It should bump the import prices only, not the american steel prices.

Jarrod, they should be seeing a huge bump in revenue anyway, no need to raise prices other than to be assholes.
if they are still in business at the current prices, a huge increase in volume should be welcome, they shouldn't need to raise their prices.

SONIC. said:
No it's not.
It should bump the import prices only, not the american steel prices.

Jarrod, they should be seeing a huge bump in revenue anyway, no need to raise prices other than to be assholes.
if they are still in business at the current prices, a huge increase in volume should be welcome, they shouldn't need to raise their prices.

Exactly!
I raises the price of imported steel.
The raised cost of import steel lowers the demand for import steel. But the steel is still needed so domestic steel sees increased demand.
With increased demand comes increased prices. That’s just the way the cookie crumbles.

Back
Top Bottom