CB tree fiddy: godspeed

arsey

Been Around the Block
This place seems to be awash in CB350's, figured I might as well start one up too.

I bought this bike some time round last thanksgiving. First bike, and first substantial project of any kind, really. bought this thing with the plan to cafe it up on the cheap, although I've since decided I want to keep the ability to ride two-up, and after seeing some of the bratstyle bikes I think that's what I'm going to lean towards.
bike.jpg

This is one of the only shots I have of it before I started taking her apart. More than a bit rusty, and the seat is far from pristine. The other side cover doesn't look like that; the PO worked in a shop and was going to paint the whole thing that mitsubishi color but didn't have time. Good thing since I was just going to flat black it anyhow.
Engine ran fine when I bought it, but idled a bit rough I think, and the front brake was stuck.

P1090058.jpg

Slowly taking things off.

P1090159.jpg

Cleaning/rebuilding carbs. Got a carb kit off ebay. Also got a master cylinder kit from my local honda dealer. Hopefully those will sort out the mechanical issues.

P1090154.jpg

P1090156.jpg

I'm thinking I might have to ditch these fork covers entirely; that one looks bad. Though I'm not sure how I'd mount the lights. Hoping there's no damage to the actual fork.

P1090161.jpg

Box o' parts. Rusty spokes are killin me.

Next up is to drop the engine, probably going to paint it black. Also working on the seat and tank.

Re: CB tree fiddy

Hey good luck with your project.. For the headlight mount you can go with something like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Headlight-Brackets-Motorcycle-headlamp-ears-26-40mm-Uni_W0QQitemZ120378279879QQihZ002QQcategoryZ35621QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I got some like that for my bike. Just put in headlight ears on ebay and there are some different styles to choose from. One of my ears was bent up and I wanted something different anyway from the start.

Thanks for the mount advice CThor, bought a set off of ebay. I've taken a wire wheel to the spokes already, but will have to try Kleen Strip too, thanks.
The bike is at my parents' place and I'm headed there this weekend, hopefully I'll get a lot done.

Been working on some parts I took away from there in the meantime.

This here is the tore up seat the bike came with.
P1090158.jpg

Scored this one off ebay for pretty cheap.
P1090157.jpg

I'd like to lower the handlebars, clubmans maybe, so the stock seat probably won't cut it. Might as well tear into the old one.
P1090164.jpg

Ugh.
P1090165.jpg

Trying out the electrolysis method.
P1090169.jpg

Here it is after a few anodes and a lot of time.
P1090195.jpg

P1090197.jpg

I'd like to think it isn't a complete lost cause. I mean, it seems sturdy enough even though that one edge of the pan is hellacious.
Still gotta shave the foam down and get some vinyl to cover it with.

Arsey, keep up the work. I can't tell you how much fun it is when you finally turn the key, and she comes to life. You'll never want to drive again.

loudest143

Yah Join the 350 club, Im in the process of getting mine running solid before anything else. Good luck, If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM...

Here's how she sits now.
P1090221.jpg

I'm having a hell of a time getting the forks off. I figure I'm doing something very wrong, just not sure what.
P1090220.jpg

I took the front bolts off from the steering stem, the shop manual tells me the cushion assembly should slide out the bottom.
Not happening, though. Are the forks just being stubborn or am I overlooking something?

Spray the beejesus out of it with WD40 and let it sit over night, then take a block of wood and a Big Fuckin' Hammer and give it a good shot!!! the dman stem is probably stuck to the steering head bearings. Gotta replace those at this point.

Terry
J'ville, Fl

well I've got the steering bridge off from the stem, but I'm still trying to get the forks separated. They do come apart from the lower bridge somehow, right? Are the fork covers the first things to come off?
I'd gladly hit something with a Big Fucking Hammer, just not entirely sure what.

They should slide down through the fork ears and bottom tree. You could screw the tops back on the shocks, then take the block of wood and tap the top of them to break them free.

use a flat blade screw driver to wedge open the bottom tree b4 you start banging.

Oh yeah. Motorcycle.

Have not worked on this as much as I should have. But with the warm weather here now, I want this thing built. So full speed ahead.
I'm taking the MSF course this weekend. Should be good.

Fork woes out of the way; got them free after much hassle. Things are super pitted.
P1090224.jpg

P1090462.jpg

Might have to paint the fork tops. Rockcitycafe's clip-ons look really nice; not sure how they'd look paired with these forks however.

Strippin'.
P1090221.jpg

The frame after too long with a 3m wheel. I figure I don't need it down to bare metal all the way, especially not if this epoxy paint is as robust as everyone says. Will paint the frame tomorrow morning.
P1090461.jpg

Gonna hit the engine with a wire wheel and clean it up a bit. Will start painting it tomorrow too, if I have time.
P1090463.jpg

paintttss.
P1090464.jpg

still on the fence about a few things. clip ons vs. stock bars, mostly. maybe I'll flip a coin.

such burly knotwork
P1090467.jpg

annd painted.
looks a bit different under the flash than in normal light.
P1090491.jpg

got some orangepeel in some spots. might sand it down some in a week and shoot another coat or two. or might not, since I so badly would like this thing together.

Trust me with the frame, you only want to do it once.

I need to sign up for an MSF course soon too! How long did it take for you to actually start after signing up?

goodfornothing said:
Trust me with the frame, you only want to do it once.

I need to sign up for an MSF course soon too! How long did it take for you to actually start after signing up?
I think I signed up two weeks before the actual course. I opted for the weekend course; three days of lame videos, bookwork, and putting around got me my license.

I've finally started putting this thing back together.

A comparison:
P1090214.jpg

P1090494.jpg

And my stock seat is making its way across the country to get reupholstered and caffeinated.

a friend of mine works at a place that makes motorcycle seats, so I sent him my stock seat to get customized.
I sent these pictures along with it, sorta the look I'd like to go for
0023.JPG
83718763-M.jpg

Got a picture sent to me today:
seat.jpg

pretty exciting.
They've all types of things to cover it with and I couldn't decide. told my friend that I trust him to make it look good. probably a bad idea since it will more than likely come back to me with butterflies and/or unicorns on it.

I've also decided to ditch the all-black thing. going to paint the engine a dark gray and probably keep the tank bare metal.

Do they usually build from scratch, or do they often resurrect seat pans from the dead? Cause I got a seat pan that needs some life. I was thinking more Care Bears or My Little Ponies for my ride. Seriously though, any info you can offer up would be appreciated.

Later,

Ryan

Mach-5(50) said:
Do they usually build from scratch, or do they often resurrect seat pans from the dead? Cause I got a seat pan that needs some life. I was thinking more Care Bears or My Little Ponies for my ride. Seriously though, any info you can offer up would be appreciated.

Later,

Ryan
The place doing my seat is Saddlemen, and they mostly make touring seats and luggage. Though if you've got a seat pan I'm sure they could care bear the shit out of it for you ;D I'll try and get some more info like prices and whatnot from my friend

Back
Top Bottom