Wider Tire Widths

crazypj said:
There is a major difference between nice and fawning sycophant.
Why cant I tell it like it is?
Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean I'm not right. ;) :D

PJ

Again, I don't think anyone doubts your knowledge but it gets old when someone asks a question or posts something and gets rewarded with someone's recreational turrets...

Wow PJ, after reading that about you I can understand why you are so brash. A co-worker of mine is also an EMT and won't even try to ride a motorcycle after seeing some of the messes they make. I tried to tell him it's the rider, not the ride. Everybody has decisions to make though

yep, thats the truth.
BTW
Nice bike, I like the sloper 175.
I beat the hell out of my 1967 CD

PJ

crazypj said:
Why cant I tell it like it is?

I think someone HAS to tell it like it is. If not for the sake of the original poster, for the sake of the next newbie who comes along and sees someone putting a 6" tyre on a 2" rim and thinks "Hey - I'm gonna do that!"....and wraps himself around a tree.

I know everyone here is (mostly) adult and responsible for their own actions, but I've worked in the industry too, and I've seen all manner of stupidity being performed on bikes under the guise of "I saw a pic on the internet like this, I thought it was OK". Well, sometimes it ain't.....and you need to be told.

I agree with the usefulness of providing good solid information to those who need it.
Just not acting like PJ has been. There's no need except if you get off on it, then there's a need for therapy. As well, you're much more likely to be taken seriously if your wisdom is offered in a constructive manner. At least you run higher odds of being taken seriously.....I mean hell. For all we know PJ is some fat 14 year old with a pile of old books parroting crap that's totally out dated whilst sitting in a pile of HoHo wrappers, surrounded by Spicegirl posters in his mom's basement.

Swagger said:
I agree with the usefulness of providing good solid information to those who need it.
Just not acting like PJ has been. There's no need except if you get off on it, then there's a need for therapy. As well, you're much more likely to be taken seriously if your wisdom is offered in a constructive manner. At least you run higher odds of being taken seriously.....I mean hell. For all we know PJ is some fat 14 year old with a pile of old books parroting crap that's totally out dated whilst sitting in a pile of HoHo wrappers, surrounded by Spicegirl posters in his mom's basement.

I guess you could have a point?
I'm just upfront with everyone, unlike some (many) who hide behind a screen name putting themselves forward as arrogant asshats with a profile dreamed up to compensate for inadequacies
There is no need for you to be everyones 'protector', I think most are adult enough to accept or reject whats on offer.
Are you a knight in plastic armour?
I've done political correctness courses, been involved with local government, done a boatload of different things, studied psychology at degree level and know a bit about therapy and know I don't need it (Freud was never psychoanalysed, but, he invented it)
I don't have to justify any of the things I do, but, I CAN :eek:
Here's page one of my Honda 'passport' although it could be anyones
Hondapassportinside.jpg

I wish I was 14 again, as long as I could keep the knowledge I have now.
I think Rocan is one of youngest on here and he's recently had a birthday (16 according to profile)
BTW, I have my own 'basement', my mother died several years ago.

PJ

the board seems to have eaten my response.

Franky I don't know why it pisses me off that someone who could provide info in a constructive manner needs to act like you do to feel cool. Whatever, have fun with it. Maybe you need a hug?

For the record, my armor is made of duct tape. It's shiny.

How about we start a thread of things NOT to do. Kind of like the opposite of the $50 mod thread. We can put a disclaimer at the top that warns people that all responses will be rude so they should not get offended. We can start off with the fat tires. I can go next with the square holes in the brake disc.

Honda750008.jpg

Then, when someone asks about doing something stupid, we can just point to that thread.

Ohhhh, I remember the conversation about the square holes.

I think I'd need to start a whole new board hosted on a flame-retardant server with liquid cooling to handle the sorts of posts we'll start seeing.

Maybe I'll open up a free-for all ranting thread for those who like to let loose. I've been known to hurl a few good ones in my time.

I'd like to throw a question into the mix if I could. Advice stated earlier in this thread was that if we go up one tire size we will probably kill ourselves. I think that is about how it was put before the post was removed. Anyhow, I'm wondering how does one guarantee they are replacing the same tire size since most manufactures measure that same size tire differently?
My disclaimer is the same as stated before; I really don't claim to know wtf I'm talking about. So take it for what its worth.

Hey Troy, good point. The way you tell is read the manufactures spec on what rim they say the tire fits. They all have those specs, just sometimes they are not easy for the regular joe to get, the dealers all have access. Some of the same size tires, stamped on the sidewall, will fit slightly different ranges of rim widths.
This is true for all tires for all vehicles. The same size from one manufacturer, even within models of the same manufacturer can actually measure very different. That being said, you can get the info on the measurements and decide if it is close enough or not.

PJ's point was valid for safety reasons, if you cram fat tires on skinny rims or vice versa you are changing the dynamics of the design. It may not change it enough to kill yourself, but then again, it may... He is just blunt about it ;D

Like anything in life, take it with a grain of salt and make your own decision, just educate yourself first. I have a wider rear tire than factory on my 450, becuase the recomended honda size is no longer made by anybody but Dunlop and I didn't like that tire, but the one I chose was designed to fit my rim width, so I can do the ton and shouldn't have a tire related issue. But some people would say I shouldn't be runnig that tire becuse it is different from factory spec. Just like putting a directional tire on against the arrow, Some tires just won't handle as well and that's it, but some can completely come apart because the stress is applied opposite to the design. Mostly bad if you do "sustained" high speed runs like track or freeway. 50 MPH on back roads and you would never have an issue. Just be aware and be safe. My roadriders have an arrow and the guys installed it wrong the first time, I checked with the local avon rep and he said make the turn it around because the tire was designed to shed water outward when running the proper direction, if I left it, the tire would never fail but every time it rained the water would go inwards instead and be forced into my back tire causing really bad things. I went back to the shop, said hey this tire was put on backwards and they fixed it no charge, so that was good, but I could have been in serious trouble the first time I got caught in the rain. Not even a week after I was on a ride from my house to my in-laws, 1.5 hour trip and hit a thunder storm that dumped 40mm of rain on the roads in 1 hour, the tires were great, I could ride a whole 20 MPH with water up to my footpegs and stay on the road ;D, when the golf ball size hail started falling I found the first place to get off the road. ;D

And remeber I am not a tire expert!

Cheers,

Maritime

Funny little story about when I bought my bike - when I went to talk to the seller he went through the normal BS. Doesn't burn any oil, runs like a champ, said it was never dropped it just "fell over" a couple times, blah blah blah. But the one thing that had me kinda scared was that his son was on it a week earlier going about 60 mph down the windy road around the corner. Now my Honda is made to run a 3.00 by 18 in the rear and this guy has a 3.50-18 super knobby tire with DRY ROT all around on it. Hopefully! the guy was lying (pretty sure he was) and wouldn't let his boy take it out of the yard. Needless to say, I trailered it back to my house.

Hey Maritime Biker,
Thank you so very much. Sensible information I can understand and use. I just learned something! Thank you!

No problem, I am a buyer by profession so I have to do my homework on things a lot. I bought tires for fleet cars for a few years. I found a few good articles, written by tire industry experts in trade papers/magazines that add a lot to the info.

Back
Top Bottom