does this look like frame rot to you?

Basement rat said:
My best advice is for a first project, don't buy a project. A daily driver you can drive from day one and wrench on the weekends is a best. As stuff brakes/ needs fixing and expect it will you can learn along the way.

Does it run right now or can the owner get it going for you?

Will you have someone there to help you and teach you all about this stuff? Someone to call when it brakes down for help?

There are no dash issues, just because you can see the wiring doesn't mean it's bad, that just means someones worked with it. Mine looks like that right now and it's all brand new electrics that have been built from the ground up by me, I just haven't finished out the interior and don't yet want to commit to mounting it all.

My rancheros floor looks just like charles' and I drive it.

looks better then my datsun did, but 5k is pricey I'd say 3500 at most, maybe 4500 on a good day.

I hear that.

So I went to see a 1969 firebird the other day. I feel like they are both contenders:

firebird has 35,ooo miles and is numbers matching. It has a great undercarriage a rebuilt tranny, is a driver all day long. Problem is, the body panels are rusted and lumpy just about all over the place. The interior is decent and I have a line on used seats for cheap so not worried about that.

The El camino has a nice body, though it has a couple small holes from a huge mirror mounting once, and a few dents here and there. As you saw, its the undercarriage and questionable engine and tranny, empty interior that make it really sketchy.

Here are some pics of the Firebird

DSCN0121.jpg

DSCN0120.jpg

DSCN0117.jpg

DSCN0116.jpg

DSCN0112.jpg

DSCN0109.jpg

DSCN0113.jpg

So like Mysta said, the firebird qualifies as a driver project, but it needs new doors, probably new fenders or at least new sheet metal in the lowers, and who knows about the rear quarters overall. The camino is solid, chrome is great shape and no rust on the body at all, but yet the undercarriage is a bit questionable, and since it has no exhaust, i cant even drive it before buying it. Wiring is an issue on it too, as no lights work, etc. Here are newer shots of the undercarriage with the rotting exhaust off the car

66chev005.jpg

66chev004.jpg

66chev001.jpg

Firebird for 6k or El camino for 4k? (he wants 5 but i think i would pay 4 or nothin at all) THanks for all the help guys, i am a complete newb with these old cars. Though I am really good at spending too much money buying parts ;D

lol i am ashamed to say i havent stepped foot anywhere between Van and T.o. ...I will do some searchin in your province for cars :)

Back
Top Bottom