DECEMBER 2013 - DO THE TON BIKE OF THE MONTH - VOTING!

Vote for the one you like :)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well the story on mine is that it started out as a non running pile of crap. I had a vision in my head of what i wanted to build and set to work at it. Over 4 years of putting it together and this is what i came up with.
CB550
Bored to 592cc
Ported head
Hot street Cam
Performance coated rockers
CR750 Yoshimura Replica Exhaust

Excel 18" aluminum Wheels w/ Stainless spokes
Dual Disk conversion
Thinned and lightened Rotors

Norton Sprint Alloy Tank
Matching Cafe seat
SR500 Alloy fairing from Japan
Acewell speedo
Smoothed and filled triple tree
Raask Rearsets
Steering damper
Progressive shocks

100% new wire harness
Modern Reg/rec
Dyna mini coils
Dyan 2000 Ignition
Key start

My T500 started off as a 1971 frame with a 1975 GT500 engine. I love air cooled two strokes so I decided I would like one with modern handling. I thought about building my own frame initially but lack of time and certain equipment dashed that plan. However I did cut off a good chunk off of the frame including the rear engine mounting point and the swing arm pivot area, I fabricated new frame tubes and the swing arm pivot mount to get it closer to the counter shaft centerline. I also used a swing arm from a YZF600 but I cut it and made it 30mm narrower also modified to be a linkless mono shock. The biggest challenge on the bike was to get the chainline correct, for this I had to make my own offset counter sprocket (probably the part that gave me the most satisfaction knowing I made it myself) and machine the rear sprockect carrier from the EX650 wheel that I used.

The forks are from a ZX636 Kawi with a modified steering stem and top clamp. I made a custom adapter to suit the KTM bars and clamps. Rear shock is EX650, I made an adjustable mounting so the ride height can be changed. Rear brake is a modified KTM Brembo unit. Rearsets are modified Triumph Daytona units.

The tank and seat I made from scratch from 3003 aluminum, all done using hand tools and oxy/acetylene welding (I don't have tig). I also made my own expansion chambers which was a lot of work but I got them exactly how I wanted tehm to look.

The engine has been ported (eric kalamaja, sundial motorsports) and I am running 34mm mikunis with it.

The bike came out exactly as I imagined it would. Now I look forward to giving it a good thrashing on the street and track.

Thanks again to all of you for your support while I have been building this bike.

Cheers,

John.

Attachments

• Finish 2 small.jpg
    Finish 2 small.jpg
    601.5 KB · Views: 333
  • Finish 3 small.jpg
    Finish 3 small.jpg
    586.2 KB · Views: 1,000
  • Finish 4 small.jpg
    Finish 4 small.jpg
    546.5 KB · Views: 325
  • Finish 8 small.jpg
    Finish 8 small.jpg
    563.5 KB · Views: 429
Bought the bike in March for $700, couldn't pass up a titled 750 for that, had no plans for it at the time other than to make it something fun to ride. While looking on craigslist I found the zzr1200 front end, rear wheel and brakes for $300, with almost new tires, turned out to be about as much as new tires for the 750 so I jumped. Took quite a while and a lot of machining to fit the zzr forks to the 750, then the rear wheel required a whole new swingarm to fit it, then required modifying the sprocket carrier, replacing the oil tank. Decided I wanted a more ergonomic tank and seat, so made those, of course, they wouldn't work with stock pegs or bars, so on went those... gave it a quick fairing because I wanted to see if it would make it faster. While it was in the shop I used some stainless tube I had to sandbend the exhaust, nothing pretty but works pretty well, on went the O2 sensor for tuning, and the flatslide carbs and airbox just to make things frustrating. Next will be finishing up the kz piston 750 motor which was also made with basically scrounged parts... so yeah, essentially it's a never really totally done scrounged parts race bike that isn't pretty at all :)

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg

And remember people - this bike will be "December" in the upcoming DO THE TON Bike of the Month 2014 Calendar!

Details to follow - big thanks to Logan / Rust Revival for setting this up.

Zee Photos...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 9.15.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 9.15.05 PM.png
    808.5 KB · Views: 283
  • Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 8.17.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 8.17.21 PM.png
    818.8 KB · Views: 308
  • Screen Shot 2013-11-17 at 10.55.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-17 at 10.55.43 PM.png
    841.6 KB · Views: 281
  • Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 9.15.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 9.15.22 PM.png
    825.1 KB · Views: 270
Really tough choice this month! Was hard picking just one, so good luck to you all! I wouldn't be mad seeing any of these bikes on the banner next month.

Damn! All great bikes this month. Look forward to the calendar. As always I voted for the one I wanna ride first.

Congrats to the Flying J CB550! :D

Super tough to judge this month!! 8) All are banner-worthy to be sure!! 8)

WOW! Thanks to all who voted. I am truly honored. What beautiful bike we had this month.

Back
Top Bottom