CB360 - restore, maintain, ride

Quick update. With the new brake pads (and the grease and nylon washer and deglazed disk) no more squeaks.

The bike is running sooo much better with the uni filters in place. I checked one of the new plugs and it is still fouled with black soot. I noticed one new behaviour with the uni filters is the once the engine is warmed up it hesitates or even stalls from a stop when rolling on the throttle slowly.

The carbs are synced with my handy dandy manometer.

Whats left on my list:
- check coils and condensor
- check how good spark is
- find the source of a new rattle that has shown up at about 5k, not related to clutch. I think it may just be the new rod I put in that holds the air filters in place, the one that goes through both filers.
- re check timing

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

stalling on take off is a lean condition. did you tune the A/F mix to suit the fresh filters?

trek97 said:
stalling on take off is a lean condition. did you tune the A/F mix to suit the fresh filters?

hmmm I don't think I did, thanks. Top of the list for that one.

I was considering pulling the carbs and checking the float level. I think I set them to 18.5 but after reading a lot of the threads here I may try 20.

Yup every time you make a change in the intake system you throw off adjustments. Re-tune the hot idle and idle A/F screws and see what you get, would leave the floats alone if that solves the issue.

I re-adjusted the a/f mixture and it seems to be running better, less stumble off the start.

Bad news is I think I figured out where the rattle was coming from. The muffler on the right side had broken off right at the connection to the pipe. So now I'm looking for a new set of mufflers, any recommendations would be appreciated. I'm trying to keep the bike stock(ish).

I also set the float height to about 20.5 mm to try and lean it out, but no chance to ride yet, partially due to muffler and rain today.

I checked the points gap and noticed both were too small. Not sure what the side effects of that is, but I'm going to reset and time it.

So on my list to do:
- check tappit gaps
- reset point gap and timing
- verify with new timing strobe (new garage toy :)

Also heading to Paris Ontario this Sat. For the CVMG rallly and swap meet. If I'm lucky I'll find a set of mufflers.

Setting the point gap to the narrower end of the spec increases the amount of time with the coils charging, was actually suggested for a bit more performance. Keep in mind they still need to stay in that spec.

Quick update. I finished resetting the timing and points gap, checked with the strobe light and it was pretty close. I may tweak it to get it bang on later. Also patched the muffler, ill attach pictures tomorrow.

Took it out for a spin and it is like a new bike! So much more power off the start and it even feels and sounds a lot smoother. Took a quick look at the plugs, which were fouled to begin with but I cleaned them quickly, and the look the same as they were before the ride. I picked up a new set and will try those next to make sure its not running super rich anymore. I hope having the floats at 20.5mm fixed that.

So on my todo list:
1. Replace mufflers. Looking at set from Sirius, very similar to the ones from CMC.
2. Find out why its backfiring slightly when I pull to a stop and a little on idle.
3. Shine her up and smile

Just wanted to also give a big thanks to all those on this site who have provided extremely helpful feedback and answers to my endless questions. I really do appreciate your expertise and patience.

Picture of patched muffler attached. Going to order a set of these which are supposed to be in early July: http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-detail.php?pid=&product_id=215

Cheers,
Peter

Attachments

• patched-muffler.jpg
    patched-muffler.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 632
Popping on Decel and at idle can be just that muffler leaking or it can be you have your pilot mixture just slightly lean. Might try enriching up the idle mixture just a hair on both sides. Can also be the carb sync if they are way out. New muffler will probably fix that.

Mine pops on decel, but its just that I have shorter louder mufflers and I can hear it I think lol.

Back
Top Bottom