CB360's-from build to blog - 2013, MDS (Mo Dumb Shit)

Re: CB360's - 1974 & 1975 - Hear No Evil & Speak No Evil- yep, there's two of them

Failed to get bike done for Mods & Rockers so had to take the 'mostly stock' one.
over 130mile round trip, I think I did something nasty to it on way back as it's smoking pretty bad on left cyl.
Anyway, I was going to post some pics but for some reason I cant?

Re: CB360's - 1974 & 1975 - Hear No Evil & Speak No Evil- yep, there's two of them

OK, this is part of the reason bike didn't get finished on time, spent too long making and modifying stuff

11mm bore dirtbike master cyl

Made a banjo bolt from Stainless steel Allen, drilled some cross holes for lockwire and tapered top (and I made braided line)
CB378frontbrake.jpg

'New' ignition switch, LED neutral and High beam warning, LED left/right indicator lights
CB378newdash.jpg

Expensive April! this is 4 of the 5 bikes, didn;t have to do truck as we did a 2 yr tag last year (next year will be VERY expensive) :eek:
ExpensiveApril-2011.jpg

Fitted LED rear indicator and made 3 different speedo mounts (so far. :eek: )
Not happy with any of them so I'm on 4th
here's pic of new mount I made for indicators as I really wasn't happy with the look of nuts and washers ::) (original for comparison)
Fitted into original Honda mountings.
Don't like the look of 8mm head bolts but haven't had chance to get some stainless coach bolts to modify so I'l have low profile dome head
CB360rearindicator.jpg

I was speaking with Jason from Dime City on Saturday at Mods & Rockers, going to try and get 2 or 3 bikes out the 'Grand Opening' next month, even as WIP (work in progress ;D 8) )

Looks pretty good, coach = carriage? I dunno where I get carriage from. ;D

Re: CB360's - 1974 & 1975 - Hear No Evil & Speak No Evil- yep, there's two of

all good things. looks like youve been working on these bikes a lot.

frogman said:
Looks pretty good, coach = carriage? I dunno where I get carriage from. ;D

Coach bolts, carriage bolts, same thing, I bought some 6mm and some 1/4" stainless ones ;D
Been trying to find a way to mount instruments, going with just a speedo for now, making all sorts of stuff that looks like it's going to work, until I actually fit it :mad:
I have come up with something that doesn't look too 'shite' will post pic when its done. (different, as far as I know ;) )
Eventually going to mount rev counter where it's fully visible, probably central, with speedo offset to right
Bought four different colour thirty foot lengths of wire to finish off wiring (enough for at least 2 bikes) $15.00 plus tax :)
Hopefully I'll be able to take it out by Sunday as a fully functioning runner although I'm already planning different rearsets
Got 2 motors to rebuild now ::)
I'll have to stop breaking them :eek:

Speedo is mounted and working, had to fabricate a multi-piece bracket (amazing how difficult it is to spin wheel more than 10MPH ;D )
Footrests on, had to make various spacers.
Made a new brake pedal, don't like it but I'll keep it for now (made a second one, liked it even less :eek: )
Cut down original brake pedal, removed foot lever part and kept pivot/operating arm/rod then welded 'pull' piece to bottom.
I was going to make a completely new section but it's taking too long and I want it running.
still need to make linkage for brake and gearchange.
Swapped wires on 'dash' LED's for thinner ones
Doing everybodies 'favorite' job - wiring it up
It would be a lot easier if I hadn't fitted LEDs all over the place and didn't want to try to stick close to 'stock' wiring colours (indicators are 'correct', live, switched live, ignition and ground leads, correct colours)
Cat thinks it's great though, all that stuff to play with ;)
Shock is off so it's easy to compress suspension and get bolts through passenger footrest mounting holes
So far,every time I touch anything, I HAVE to modify it ::)
Almost forgot, I painted a few pieces as well 8)
Anyway, here's a pic.
Stuff you need.
Butane soldering iron, two different crimping pliers, solder, heat shrink tubing, lots of different wires
CB360-everybodiesfavouritejob2.jpg

Wow.... thanks for the pic, PJ. Now I'm looking forward to my wiring even less... :p

Omg this wiring pic makes me want to die! Not looking forward to rewiring.....at all!

PJ- I love following your builds...so many creative and well thought out ideas. Just wondering if you have had a chance to try running the engine that has the drilled out cam? Do you plan on running an external oil line to feed through the center of the cam? If you have any more info. on this modification, I am really interested.

Thank you!

Been working on various bits, about 98% finished
Modified an extra long gearchange link and re-threaded end, gearchange works good
Made linkage for rear brake, straightened out stop plate to put it at 'correct' angle, it works. :)
Bled front brakes, seem real spongy, but, on closer inspection, the caliper is twisting because I have mismatched pads (need to find a matched pair until I can get new ones)
Wiring is finished but I managed to break green LED for neutral :( (I've got a spare, just have to solder jumpers onto it)
Couldn't find LED flasher relay for last few days, found it last night and fitted it so all blinkers 'blink' (I didn't know I had so many relays lying around ) ???
swapped rear wheel for one with a new tyre and better chrome
Fitted 'Red' shocks until I can make new bases for the Black/Gold ones.
Made new 'cool' exhaust hanger bracket
Found drive chain and fitted it.
Still need to make front indicator hangers and some sort of seat cover/base unit/shape foam
Pics to follow (when I take some ;D )

Pics! Pics!!

Seriously, I wanna see how this is coming along.

Just went out and took a pic.
Here's the rear end with quite a few modifications.
Front end isn't exactly a secret, but I wont post a pic until it's finished
CB360-newrearend.jpg

Haha! Got called on that one.......

I like it PJ! Are you keeping the rear fender? Seems everybody gets rid of them but they do make the ride much more enjoyable. And can I offer a suggestion? The muffler hanger seems a little out of place with the muffler itself.

Pardon me if there were plans mentioned earlier that I missed. I'm still trying to wrap my head around your rear brake linkage as well......no doubt it works, but the maybe it's the angle of your pic that is throwing me off.

Keep up the good work man! A lot of people are learning from this.

Big Rich said:
Haha! Got called on that one.......

I like it PJ! Are you keeping the rear fender? Seems everybody gets rid of them but they do make the ride much more enjoyable. And can I offer a suggestion? The muffler hanger seems a little out of place with the muffler itself.

Pardon me if there were plans mentioned earlier that I missed. I'm still trying to wrap my head around your rear brake linkage as well......no doubt it works, but the maybe it's the angle of your pic that is throwing me off.

Keep up the good work man! A lot of people are learning from this.

Hi Rich,
Yeah, I'm not happy with the way the exhaust hanger looks either, will probably go with a steel tube when I get time.
Brake linkage pulls bottom to push stock top piece. (like a see-saw ;) )
I'm going to make a new lever to connect to pedal and change leverage ratio slightly (when I get time ::) )
It has an increasing leverage ratio and the link plate is just a sawed off piece to check proof of concept, it will look lot nicer when it's carved into shape.
I'm keeping the rear fender, although I am going to mould a fiberglass one and mount it further forward so it looks shorter (when I get time ;D )
I really don't like the extra short rear end when fender is totally removed and 75% of wheel is exposed, just looks stupid in my opinion.
Main problem at present, I want to ride it to Meet-Up meeting tomorrow afternoon so I'm rushing a few things.
The front end is more or less finished though, just needs wiring tidied up a bit.
I'll post up a pic later
After Dime City grand opening it's all coming apart for paint

Re: CB360's - Hear No Evil & Speak No Evil - New Pictures-sorta finished

Finished wiring and tied it into position with some zip ties.
Started about 4th kick, sounds pretty damn good.
Rear-set gets in the way so I'm going to make something to hold footrest up while kick starting :(
Have to put some air in rear tyre, find the little blocks that fit into swing arm for chain adjustment and velcro the seat pad to base
Not sure how new jetting and modified carb is going to work, haven't run it on 378 motor yet ::)
Seat is mounted, clamped down pretty tight made a pad, it's pretty nasty but better than sitting on fiberglass ;)
CB360-May7th2011-3.jpg

Front end is done (sort of ;D )
speedo mounted on fork leg, and working 8)
CB360-May7th2011-4.jpg

Drive side, gearchange and modified clutch operating cover. still need to adjust chain
If it doesn't give me any problems tomorrow I'm going to do another one (or two ;D )
CB360-May7th2011-2.jpg

Made an indicator mount to bolt onto fork, didn't like any of the 'standard' fittings, bored a piece of square tube at an angle to get lights horizontal without any nuts and washers showing
CB360-May7th2011-5.jpg

Wired up running lights on front, the running light goes out when flasher operates which I thought was pretty cool.
As I said yesterday, never had a bike with running lights ???
CB360-May7th2011-1.jpg

Re: CB360 Hear No Evil & Speak No Evil- New pics -sorta finished one

Good stuff PJ. My phone cuts off the right side of all pictures (and it's a tiny screen) but I definitely want to double check this in the morning. I do like that speedo idea too!

PJ, very cool my friend! All this custom fab work has me envious of your skills. And let me say, ANYTHING is better than sitting on fiberglass. I still haven't worked out a seat pad for mine, and putting around 100 miles on the bike in the last two days has left my rear unbelievably sore. :eek:

Congrats on finishing one up!

Ringo said:
putting around 100 miles on the bike in the last two days has left my rear unbelievably sore. :eek:

+1

Looking great PJ. Nice front end, I like the relocated speedo. I've toyed with the idea of trying to relocate my tacho, what's the SP on shortening the drive cable?

'Speedo' cable is tach cable ;D
Seat pad is 3 layers of carpet underlay stuck together with spray contact adhesive.
Seat base is 20gauge aluminium sheet and the cover is an old seat cover.
If I had had more time I would have done it 'properly' and stitched sections together so it fitted nicer and, I would have used some fine foam over underlay to smooth things out. As is, I roughed foam out with a pair of scissors and glued everything together ::)
All glued down last night (got finished 'early', around 3:20 am :eek: )
I found my industrial grade Velcro this morning and 'stuck pad to fiberglass base.
It doesn't need anything more than the 20gauge as fiberglass does all the actual support.
Found the little chain adjuster blocks for swing arm and fitted them (forgot you have to remove axle :( )
Chain is adjusted and lubed, tyres inflated.
The only thing I'm waiting for is tank to drain so I can swap petrol tap from blue one to red one ???
I'm going to have to find the other 3 I have or buy a new one, it's getting old swapping tanks and taps ;)
I'm going riding this afternoon ;D 8) 8)

Back
Top Bottom