1979 Honda cb650z cafe build

Reassembly has started. Parts all laid out on a table. Little teaser on the bike colors in there, can anyone guess?? hint, its not the blue taped on the tank

Attachments

• parts layout 2.JPG
    parts layout 2.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 914
  • parts layout.JPG
    parts layout.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 956
i was just thinking about this bike the other day, hoping something was still happening with it. cant wait to see it done man, beautiful work so far!

hurco550 said:
i was just thinking about this bike the other day, hoping something was still happening with it. cant wait to see it done man, beautiful work so far!

ya life has been busy, 14 month old boy now running around. Zero sleep some nights, tired all the time etc. hahaha

Shooting for bike to be on the road for this spring. Bike will be fully assembled soon with just the wiring to tackle over the winter.

Assembly has been a slooooow go, waiting for parts to come in and little bits to be powder coated. Frame was powder coated in a black texture finish, similar to wrinkle but not quite, more like an OEM finish. Might be hard to tell in these pics. I just wanted something a little different than the go to shinny black. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Attachments

• assembly 3.JPG
    assembly 3.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 912
  • assembly 2.JPG
    assembly 2.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 944
rear set brackets are from Cognito Moto but halfway thru I decided to do the rear disc conversion so had to take Devin's bracket for the right side and modify it to hold the rear master cylinder, had to mess with this one anyway to make it fit my bike. Speed holes are my design to make it go faster, LoL Brackets are in for powder coating now to match the frame.

Attachments

• fabbed rear set 2.JPG
    fabbed rear set 2.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 906
  • fabbed rear set.JPG
    fabbed rear set.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 1,035
Still haven't ordered rear shocks yet, wanted the Fox Podium RC1 but can't seem to get them right now, Cognito Moto is out of stock??. Progressive has a new shock out, the 490 Series, blacked out. Available for Harley Dyna's, some Triumph models but only eye to eye mount. They look kick ass and aesthetically would look great on my bike but they have to work right for my bike first. I called them but they have no plans yet in changing that bottom mount for other models. Was thinking of fabbing up an adapter for the bottom mount but that would raise the shock. I'm looking for a 14.5" height anyway & these come in 13.5". Of course I would have to have the shocks set up for me & bike, preload etc These shocks are adjustable.

Any thoughts???

Attachments

• 490-progressive shocks.jpg
    490-progressive shocks.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 912
  • 490 Progressive 3.jpg
    490 Progressive 3.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 971
  • 490-progressive shocks 3.jpg
    490-progressive shocks 3.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 878
Looking good! Has a lot of parts that I have on my CB550. If you want more Honda specific input take a gander at: http://www.sohc4.net

more assembly happening!!

Engine meet frame

I'm finding my pictures are not the best, going to try and get some better ones with my wife's camera.

Attachments

• assembly 7.JPG
    assembly 7.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 878
  • assembly 6.JPG
    assembly 6.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 926
  • assembly 5.JPG
    assembly 5.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 942
  • assembly 4.JPG
    assembly 4.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 869
Now I can move this thing along and get the seat pan and tank finally painted. Needed to get the engine in the frame and this weekend I will get the carbs (CR29) installed. There might be an issue with the petcock hitting the carbs so that may have to be relocated. That's why I have been held up with paint.

Have to thank my wife; last night (at around 11pm) I unlisted her help lowering the frame down onto the engine. She looked at me like I had two heads but did not complain. Laid the engine on its side and slipped the frame on down, went really well.

I'm hoping someone can offer some advice regarding the exhaust crush washers?? How tight do I need to go with the nuts?, does the copper washer actually need to flatten out in there?? do I have to use any other type of gasket sealer in there?

I replaced all the studs with stainless. Had trouble getting a couple of the old ones out so I had to weld a nut on and heat up the block while turning the stud. Used a small propane plumbers torch to control the heat. Worked well. The previous owner really bungled up one of the holes, threads were pretty much gone so had to install an M6 Heli coil, went ok but boy was I nervous drilling into the head. Hope this will hold up. Used silver anti seize on all the new studs so they won't be a problem down the road.

Attachments

• stainless exhaust studs.JPG
    stainless exhaust studs.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 1,158
  • stainless exhaust studs 2.JPG
    stainless exhaust studs 2.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,122
before you use the factory torque spec check the spec of the stainless fastener it may be the weak link

the helicoil will take more than stock but the stud may not they can be brittle so check if you need to reduce it slightly

cxman said:
before you use the factory torque spec check the spec of the stainless fastener it may be the weak link

the helicoil will take more than stock but the stud may not they can be brittle so check if you need to reduce it slightly

thank you for the heads up on the stainless, I'll check my manual tonight for the torque rating. Having never worked with these crush washers before (its my first bike build) I just wasn't sure if the washer actually crushed in there or there was a torque setting. Glad I asked, I would have likely broken a stud.

if they are genuine honda or compatible they will deform as you torque them

they become thinner and more crushed out with repeated re use

we are "supposed" to change them each time

it would be good to do due diligence and check the torque values but the factory bolts are pretty damn weak. I would think that pretty much anything else would be stronger. this could be a a load of crap but maybe why so many of these studs get stripped is when installing people will try and tighten one nut down all the way first and this puts a lot more stress on it than snugging up both nuts and then incrementally tightening them a little at a time going back and forth as you crush the washer.

little bit more done this weekend. Have to order up a new fuel bung to get welded in. Fuel petcock is hitting the carbs so have to move it towards the front slightly, bout an 1". sucks but oh well.

Attachments

• assembly 11.JPG
    assembly 11.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 894
  • assembly 8.JPG
    assembly 8.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 922
  • assembly 10.JPG
    assembly 10.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 961
  • assembly 9.JPG
    assembly 9.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 912
Also picked up this little 2 stroker for a future project. Yamaha GT80, got it for nothing. Needs some TLC. Once my 650 is on the road I will tear this apart and clean it up. Likely sell it. Its a little big for a starter bike for my little guy. I should be able to make a few bucks on it though.

Anyone know where I can find a seat pan for this bike??

Attachments

• GT80.JPG
    GT80.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 911
could you give me the measurments because im not sure if my cb650 frame is the same as your, I was gonna order the 550 and your is a 750 but my frame might be a lil different. thanks

Attachments

• cb650 rear sets 3.JPG
    cb650 rear sets 3.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 1,023
creasian said:
could you give me the measurments because im not sure if my cb650 frame is the same as your, I was gonna order the 550 and your is a 750 but my frame might be a lil different. thanks

Here ya go

If your frame has the removable piece you'll have to notch out the bolt locations like I did. Also radius out the back side of those notches.

Attachments

• IMG_0119.JPG
    IMG_0119.JPG
    872.1 KB · Views: 228
Back
Top Bottom