'75 Yamaha XS500 Cafe Project - Open Throttle

Re: 1975 Yamaha XS500B Cafe Project (TX500) - Thoughts, Comments, Suggestions

on my pipes i have torque cones in there

2q0rsc6.jpg

then baffels, the pipe is expanded to fit the baffle and work. so i have the pressure i need
2j2jevb.jpg

2960lrq.jpg

Yup, if you're dead-set on running CV carbs then you really do need the stock airbox. You can tinker with them and get them to run ok but only ok.

If you swap to mechanical slide carbs like the VM Mikunis, and FRS series etc.....then you can easily tune for pods and/or velocity stacks.

ahhh looks like i need to look for some carbs! i cut all my stock mounts off for the air box so that is a no go... we are going to try with the pods and take it from there. sucks i want to ride this sucker and it looks awesome but has never really run on point!

Re: 1975 Yamaha XS500B Cafe Project (TX500) - Mach-Ups

Okay now I am really going to need everyone's opinion on this. I got two mach ups going in photoshop. red/black, red/silver. I hate the side cover but it is needed to hide the junk. Oh I should probably mention the top view will include a racing strip or two that match.

What color scheme woos you? and... is there anything missing you would suggest...for example the side cover, which i think is kinda dull right now.

The second image has the reverse cone exhaust I was thinking about. Like, dislike?

Red/Black:
MACK-UP-BLACK.jpg

Red/Silver
MACK-UP-SILVER.jpg

Bear, that bikes looking awesome - credit to ya.

Red and White gets my nod [ Off White / Old English White / Cream ???]

BTW - you could always use an oval race plate on the side panel - or make something up?

This is the second bike I bought last week - as you can see, the PO had already started to go down the Flat Tracker route.

Bwfh1QB2kKGrHqIOKjwEvoNJi1bJBMKjBIL.jpg

I found a picture of this guy's 76 Yamaha XS500 and I had to share.

Just remember, when your XS gives you problems don't worry, because you could be riding this.
wowxs500.jpg

Re: 1975 Yamaha XS500B Cafe Project (TX500)

My new project shown above is on pods and shortie meggas and runs OK. It's been stood for a year, so could benefit from stripping and cleaning the carbs no doubt.
However, I don't poarticularly like the look of the CD carbs. and was looking at alternatives, Mikuni, Amal, Dellorto.
Does anyone have experience with such a swap?

great built on the way! I like the way you did the engine, super clean and that extra chrome bling make some accents on bike as a whole.

I'd do the black and red as well, as it will compliment the black hubs...

twinrider said:
great built on the way! I like the way you did the engine, super clean and that extra chrome bling make some accents on bike as a whole.

I'd do the black and red as well, as it will compliment the black hubs...

Thanks, the paint has been such a hard decision. I agree on the black complimenting the hubs, but I had my eyes set on one of Carpy paint scheme for the longest times. Here's the pic below. My picture drawing didn't do justice. I am unoriginal by stealing this but whatever. What do you think about this paint job?

4.jpg

Still red and black?

Wow engine looks amazing man. I was going to say Red/Silver before the pic, but DEFINITELY after. That looks amazing.

well, I have to say that Candy red/silver metallic combo looks awesome!

But you really have to go with the candy red I think and not a simple solid red, you need the deep shine of the candy with the silver!
dont know much about car paint, but it may very well be the same silver used as a basecoat and simply masked and shot over for candy effect...
would be a lot faster to spray for you!

yeah. def going to get it professionally done. I want it to look immaculate!

And if the wheels don't match I'll just redo them after. Can't redo chrome. :-O

Re: 1975 Yamaha XS500B Cafe Project (TX500) - Top End Work

Hey, just a quick update. Lots of top end work this last weekend and lots of small parts. Headlight, signals, gauges, switches, ignition coils, wire harness, carb seals, rebuild caliper and bleed brake. Wahoo I now have a functioning brake. Btw, the wiring harness still looks like spaghetti. That will keep me busy next weekend.

Anyways here is some pictures. Ignore the beat up tank.
IMG_1627.JPG

IMG_1628.JPG

IMG_1629.JPG

Re: 1975 Yamaha XS500B Cafe Project (TX500) - 8/9 - Quick Update

Looks good man! It's cool how you can tell what you have and haven't worked on yet.

Is that front tire mounted backwards?

Big Rich said:
Looks good man! It's cool how you can tell what you have and haven't worked on yet.

Is that front tire mounted backwards?

haha. thanks. yea that front time messes with your head. It apparently mounted correctly but when i first got it i had to check. And the arrow on the side points the right directions. It's that stupid "V" tred. Looks correct against pavement and incorrect when it's staring you in the face.

I bought the bike with some semi fresh tires on it. Could be incorrect but ehh not a big deal as long as it functions properly. I'll just be that guy who is different. lol

i thnk we have the same tires on our scoots mine look just the same!

JRK5892 said:
i thnk we have the same tires on our scoots mine look just the same!

lol. i think our bikes are gonna end up looking the same too. Quick question, how hard was it to install the eye lid on your headlight. Did you get it off ebay and how did it fit?

it was a snap! just tear out the lamp and it goes on the trim ring... i think it was sent to me from a memeber on here if i can recall

No new pictures, but I got 98% of my electrical components hooked up. Lots of soldering my MikesXS gauges to the existing wire harness. Lots of ridiculous lights on the old dash panel. For example, a 4 different back lights, a brake light ( like i need to see when im hitting the brake..like i didn't know), also there was a brake lining light. I was very impressed that a 1975 motorcycle even had such a warning light for the rear drum, but the new tach and speedo didn't have a light for it so i let them go.

After hooking everything I discovered two problems, 1 is fixable, the other isn't.

The major problem was my starting motor. It spun but didn't sound pretty. It didn't engage the engine which make me believe it needs lubrication on the internal gears.. or the starting motor gears are grinded down. I checked the engine sprocket and chain and they were in good shape. Will take a look at it next week.

The second problem is bearable but kinda annoying. On of my MikesXS gauges one is brighter then the other. Voltage is the same on both. Gauges are same manufacture. Tach light is brighter cause it only has 1 light in the housing. Speedo has tons plus there is a mileage and trip meter which i believe are the guilty suspects for why its dimmer. I think they are just in the way of the back lighting.

Back
Top Bottom