Copycat 1981 GL1100 Goldwing

downtown809

Trying to keep out of trouble
So as I threw in the towel on the 78 GL1000 I am starting a new thread on this 81. This will be a ongoing project as I have in mind to ride this in the summer and tear into it as winter sets in. It does run, yea and has had some upgrades that I would have done to it as time permitted.

Well we made it home safe and sound, man this girl needs to go on a diet soon. Oh he listed it incorrectly, it is in fact an 82.

Well I spent 20 minutes this morning getting the bags off, feeling better already. Next will be the fairing and swap on a set of superbike bars.

Nice, superbike bars are the best bars I feel for these old girls. Way better control and feel/handling/leaverage but still enough comfort to do 1000 mile days if you want. Take care re-routing your cables, the throttle needs a different route through the frame to keep the bends smooth and not bind but it can be done with a little fussing. Shorter cables would look better but I am cheap and kept mine cause they were new, when time comes to change them out I may go shorter to clean up the front a bit.

Man, She's a beauty.... NICE SCORE!
Without muddying the waters too much, and going by the wheels only, I think it is an '83. Last year for the 1100 and the only year with those wheels...
That said, I am sure they could have been swapped at some point in her life.
Eager to see where this one goes.

I will check vin when I get home as the title states 82 so a wheel swap out is a big maybe. The cx's are a blast to build and ride but this one will be as comfortable as I can make a naked as my brother wants to go on some long rides. I plan on keeping this build as the market seems to be very soft in Spokane for goldwings.

its a 82 and early one at that

forks are early style single pot early style rotors to

83 had twin pot calipers and trac antidive forks

Looking more like a bike every day. It runs out fine, I haven't opened it up yet as the tires are shot, Spitfires on the way. What to do about the front fender, will a CB900 fit on?

cxman said:
its a 82 and early one at that

forks are early style single pot early style rotors to

83 had twin pot calipers and trac antidive forks
True statement on the calipers downtown, sorry I missed that...so now I am thinking after your PM that said it has a digital insturment cluster that was first on 83 Aspencade's you bike has parts from a mix of years. Not a bad thing, just might make picking up parts a trick.
So tell me this, your Insturments should have a gear indicator on it. Does it work for all gears? The neutral switch was became a "Change switch" and if I remember right on the 83 Aspy shows 1 N 2 3 4 5 on the display. On an 82 or older with this cluster, I don't think this would work properly unless the neutral change switch was swapped out as well.

hey downtown dont laugh but i took a cx500 fender and 2 minutes of hole stretching with a burr

and it fit nice on my 83

cxman said:
hey downtown dont laugh but i took a cx500 fender and 2 minutes of hole stretching with a burr and it fit nice on my 83

I love that fender and I might just use that, thanks...

Hoosier Daddy said:
True statement on the calipers downtown, sorry I missed that...so now I am thinking after your PM that said it has a digital insturment cluster that was first on 83 Aspencade's you bike has parts from a mix of years. Not a bad thing, just might make picking up parts a trick.
So tell me this, your Insturments should have a gear indicator on it. Does it work for all gears? The neutral switch was became a "Change switch" and if I remember right on the 83 Aspy shows 1 N 2 3 4 5 on the display. On an 82 or older with this cluster, I don't think this would work properly unless the neutral change switch was swapped out as well.

You were quoting Murray but he won't mind. The cluster shows all gears and it does work.

Chicagomike said:
Is there a link to the original build?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

There is a link to a 78 build but it never went anywhere as I couldn't get it running so I took a step back and realized it needed to be with someone else.

Maybe this will help... from http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/337618-engine-serial-number-codes.html

1980 The frame serial number began SC02-2000040 and the engine serial number began SC02E-2000047.

1981 The frame serial number began with the new style used throughout the motorcycle industry and common to the automotive industry: 1HFSC0207BA100001 and the engine serial number began SC02E-2100002.

1982 The frame serial number began with 1HFSC0205CA200101 and the engine serial number began SC02E-2200028.

1983 The frame serial number began with 1HFSC020XDA300101 and the engine serial number began SC02E-2300012.

downtown809 said:
There is a link to a 78 build but it never went anywhere as I couldn't get it running so I took a step back and realized it needed to be with someone else.

I guess I ment is there a build thread to the bike you're copying?

Chicagomike said:
I guess I ment is there a build thread to the bike you're copying?

Not that I have found, it is overseas by the plate.

Back
Top Bottom