Copycat 1981 GL1100 Goldwing

One step forward one step back, sorry no pictures. I ordered tires as they are shot but I failed to look at what was on the bike. The rims are 83 and I looked up 82, apparently they are different 16"& 18" vs 17"& 19". While I have the rims off I figured I would paint them as it is my intention to powder coat them eventually just not now as my guy is two weeks out (a geographical anomaly). I removed the gauge package and have another triple tree top on the way as they are different. Funny thing is without the gauges the bike won't turn over, one step back.

Well the correct tires got here today so I shipped the wrong ones back, cost me $40 to learn that lesson. How can the tire store ship them overnight for free and I get hit $40 for ground?

yeah but this copycat goldwing has turned into a cx500

that is a lot of shrinkage!!

cxman said:
yeah but this copycat goldwing has turned into a cx500

that is a lot of shrinkage!!

That's what happens when you go swimming in cold water. :eek:

cxman said:
hey downtown dont laugh but i took a cx500 fender and 2 minutes of hole stretching with a burr

and it fit nice on my 83

What year is that seat from? That is what I need until I can get the correct one, I hate these seats. Thinking of taking the knife to it but that will cost big money to get a seat recovered that is temporary.

either a 75 or 76 not sure which this is they are very close to the same

so is a 77 or 78 which ever one yu can find you have to fiddle a bit with the mounts

I got the tires and wheels back today and they mounted up just fine. I painted the pumpkin while it was apart. Sorry bbut the seat will have to do for the summer.

I did get it to start by turning the key and jumping across the solenoid, it might just need a new start switch as it was acting up when I got it.

The triple tree arrived so I rough mounted the super bike bars and I do like them. I will need to do some work with the cables but they are on.

i dont like the riding position they force me into

do you have the slider kit for that allow s you to move the seat back and forth a bit with a lock??

if not i got one off my 1100 in the junk pile

The comment on the seat was tongue in cheek, I hate it but it will do as I just want to get it roadworthy with a little style.

Riding impressions: it is a big bike that is for sure. I am going to like the bars just fine as all I am used to are the cx' with clubmans and this is a vast improvement.

Nice. I just road mine after the new head gaskets in the pitch black pouring rain. But I rode her ;D I like the cx but the gl is just so much faster.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Removed the rear grab bar, contoured the rear fender and put a regular tail light on. Going to instal rear turn signals tomorrow.

Maritime said:
Huge improvement.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, I am wondering what the seat would look like after some work with a carving knife or if it's hopeless.

Back
Top Bottom