Yamaha TR1 "Voyager"

danielnordin

-"I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.”

So I picked up a Yamaha TR1 last summer after my first year at college with Pippi Longstocking's famous quote echoing in the back of my head. I had decided to throw my first bike right into a major rebuild with no previous experience whatsoever with bikes or machine work. You might think I'm naive but I argue there's great power in searching the web for information and coming to the realization that some things you can't do on your own. My name is Daniel, currently a cognitive science student and professional retoucher in Gothenburg, Sweden.

This is how I found her, full of birdshit and engine in pieces. Paid the man and home I went after three hours of listening to everything from how to repair the seat and which keys go to which packboxes, I didn't have heart to tell him I would keep none of it. Now is probably a good time to warn the purists, I wouldn't touch an original classic bike in mint condition, but this lady won't look like the TR1 when it released in 1981. Sorry.

A8uvJ09.jpg

Back home I stripped off everything I didn't want, which wound up being pretty much everything except frame and engine with related parts. Let me know if you need something, I might still have it.

vgPaTz9.jpg

Got some new parts, new gas tank because the lines of the original tank didn't really fly with what I had in mind. Also new shorter forks from a R1 -04 because...shorter forks.

nW1mmSD.jpg

tKjzKyM.jpg

Now fast forward a couple of weeks, forks fitted thanks to a friend machining a whole new stem for me. Can't thank him enough. Tank also modified for a rough fit.

lxvUKfZ.jpg

CX9qRgv.jpg

Fast forward another couple of weeks, new rear wheel came in from the US. Earlier on I had a short dialogue with Danik at Classified Moto over instagram that had found a good alternative (Nighthawk 750) to the stock wheel that matched the front somewhat and was a fairly easy fit.

Px6mPdk.jpg

With new shims, spacers and axle work from the amazing Daniel at Fogell Customs the rear wheel was now in place. Also new headlight, Motogadget and Antigravity goodies.

LBlfAHV.jpg

SkPWOxA.jpg

hDtlG8X.jpg

T7n9iUk.jpg

f2oCuIr.jpg

After a long post we're now up to speed. I'm currently mocking up the new subframe and getting some parts done for a slight front sprocket offset. There's still big challenges ahead though, biggest being a new exhaust. I am now turning to you fine folks lurking in the forums: Any advice or citicism, would it be subjective, objective or any sort in between I welcome it with open arms.

Why Voyager? First space probe to leave the solar system and first bike to leave my garage. Also great Daft Punk song.

All the best,
Daniel

Thank you! Now, making it look cool doesn't take me very far so I'm getting down to the performance aspect with carb and exhaust setup. To say I'm a rookie around engines is a biiig understatement so my general solution to things I don't have a good understanding about is to ask someone or steal ideas from people I believe know what they're doing. Schlachtwerk's TR1 got a pair of dellorto phm 40 carbs paired with an exhaust with 45mm primary pipes and 55mm secondary pipe, though recommended 40/50 for the stock carbs. My three options:

1. Stick with the stock carbs and fab a smaller exhaust (40/50)
2. Get the dellortos and go for the bigger exhaust (45/55)
3. Fab a 45/55 exhaust and stick with the stock carbs til' I want more juice

Can I go with the second option with an otherwise stock engine for street use?

What do you think?

Skickat från min Nexus 6P via Tapatalk

Awesome so far man! Saw it on instagram, exciting to see the build here :) My father has a xv1000 wich i'm just waitinf to get my hands on... But it NEVER turns on him..

Love the beemer tank! How much work was needed to make it fit?

Following:)

Looks great, but I cant help but notice you only seem to have a couple of inches ground clearance below the sump, wont this be a problem on the road?

Re: Yamaha TR1 "Voyager"

Thank you both. I'm very much a fan of the beemer tank as well, it's still only widened (which was quite some work for a newbie) so I'll have to settle on mounting points before proceeding. You should get your hands on some barn find instead of messing up your fathers bike, there seems to be quite a few here in Sweden laying around.

Bevelheadmhr - it might, but since I haven't really heard of anyone having practical trouble with the shorter USD forks on this bike I will have to test it before I make final configurations for something that works. Suspension is also stiffer than stock, back and front. So I think I'm good. I THINK.

Skickat från min Nexus 6P via Tapatalk

I see, maybe i need to browse blocket a bit more!

As my fathers bike goes, it's far from a beauty, we have a deal when he buys a new one. I love the thought of a barn find, but engine work is not my strongest suit yet... So a tr1 with a great working engine and lots of external potentials seems like the perfect build for me. Already have a finished cb350 and a Cx500 in the works though.

Anyways your Voyager's gonna be something special! Really inspiring so far, looking forward to the next update. :) How are you planning to make the seat/tail section? I feel that's a thing that really can make or brake the XV-builds..!

Looking good, the tank is definetily going to make it look sweet.

If you want power from the sluggish engine I would recommend lighter pistons and a steeper cams, both available here:
https://www.bigtwins.co/

My TR-1 runs quite "differently" with BT-C05 cams and high compression pistons, even with the stock carbs, I do have a 2-1 exhaust and a free flow yoshi muffler, Dellortos are probably my next step.
(12,99s 1/4 mile)

See .............. ........ it doesn't have to be another fargin Mojave tank :mad: !! Well done for some original thinking - and looks the bollox ;D

Dellortos get my vote, that's what was going on my Vindicator project.

I have cams and valve springs left over from my project. Also roller cam bearing conversions and gauges.

Thanks all! New cams and pistons sure sounds nice but with my conservative budget (and knowledge) I'll have to stick with stock till I have a complete bike... or more cash. ;) My process involves a lot of photoshop sketches initially so I'm free to try out different designs before I begin. There's lots of great looking tanks out there, the mojave included but it's certainly not the only one.

2016_10_22_03_47_16_1.jpg

Got some new stuff from the UK the other day. You'll be surprised how hard it is to find affordable 1,5" bends in Sweden. In there also a 180 degree bend for the subframe, going for a shorter seat very much like the last image in original post but a lil bit longer and thicker tubing. Been playing around with a proper tail section but it doesn't really fit in with the bulldog-ish theme I got going on. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom