Genny

D

Dwayne

Nothing fancy like most bikes here. Just my first attempt at a bike build on a limited budget. 1980 Suzuki GN400.

Frame, wheels and fuel tank stripped using Rust-oleum aircraft remover.

You would be better to reassemble your swing arm, 1 shock and new tire/wheel before welding anything. The new wheel is 2" taller and you need to be sure you have proper clearance to the hoop when the shock bottoms. Use a ratchet strap from the swing arm to the frame to compress the shock.

You might want to check how raising the rear 3" is going to affect the steering geometry.

Dwayne said:
<sigh> I've been trying to figure out how to set up my own gallery to get away from having to use an outside photo sharing host but no luck in figuring it out. Preferably it would be nice to simply upload a photo to my own thread but again, haven't been able to figure how to do so.

personally I like the tapatalk app. straight from phone to forum. Takes a bit of getting used to navigating the site that way, but much simpler in the end.

digging the bike btw

The latest ninja 250 forks are assembled that way. Total pain in the butt. They do make preload adjusters for them so maybe you can Google those to get your answer. Oh and that does not change the spring rate only spring preload which correlates to ride height also referred to as sag. Only new Springs can change spring rate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app

The Ninja 500 forks I'm using are like those. I used my floor standing drill press to press that center puck down down enough to get that keeper ring out. It's not too easy to get it out the first time, probably a very fine screwdriver is the best way. Once it's out let up on the puck slowly and carefully so it and the spring don't fly out and hit you. Before you put the little clip back in take a pair of pliers and put a 90 degree inward bend on one end of it so it's easier to get out next time.

Dwayne said:
I'm posting from my PC. I'm an old dog and don't have data on my phone. My phone... well... it's used as a phone.

I'm in the same boat!

When you post a reply click on Attachments and other options and load your photos there.

Attachments

• attachment1.jpg
    attachment1.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 240
  • attachment2.jpg
    attachment2.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 246
Nicely done! Great idea w/ the puller. I didn't have one when I did my forks. Have one now, though. Don't forget to put a little bend in the end of that retaining clip so it's easier to get apart next time.

Have you worked out what your new frame geometry is going to be? Much higher in the back, lower in the front, and now no front axle offset. Any one of these would be quite significant.

Dats nasty, keeping an eye on this build.

Sent from my phone at a place via an app

really shaping up! the fibreglass looks awesome, especially for a first try. did you hollow out the foam or leave it in there?

Back
Top Bottom