Speedo and Tach Graphics

Sonreir said:
Yes, we can do transparency, but not in combination with white. It's an either/or situation.

I essentially want the background transparent and the numbers white with the red zone obviously red.

This is the look of it now. Its from a 74 KZ400. I'll be removing the high beam and oil lamp. And would like to see the 9-10 as yellow and 10-11 as red.

http://grimcyclesalvage.com/catalog/images/p/1092/109222_01_xl.jpg

Sonreir said:
Can't do white and transparent on the same decal, sorry. :(

Well damnit then lol.

Ok then it will have to be created with 3m di noc carbon fibre weave. Or since that material IS vinyl could it printed onto that?

If i sent you a broken moped speedo could you change the face to ridiculous pictures and put a clock hand since the original broke off? How much would that run me if i provide the clock hand?

OK, these are awesome. When i figure out what gauges i am going to use, i am definitely going to get a hold of you to get some new backings made to match the rest of the frame up build.

bringing back a thread from the dead and a bump for a great guy.

now to my question, those that have done this, would you recommend wet sanding with a very fine grit paper, the backside of the gauge to get better light penetration? Along with hitting the inside of the cup with some white paint. I am afraid due to the design i went with, i may not be able to see the numbers well enough.

A little sanding to help remove dirt from the surface is a good idea, but it probably won't do much for the light issue. Painting the inside of the gauge white helps quite a bit and a swap to an LED backlight is a huge improvement over stock, too.

Sonreir said:
A little sanding to help remove dirt from the surface is a good idea, but it probably won't do much for the light issue. Painting the inside of the gauge white helps quite a bit and a swap to an LED backlight is a huge improvement over stock, too.

Cool. Thanks man. And are they 194 bulbs in the cb360? I don't recognize the socket base.

BA9S, I think? I have a spare somewhere. If I can find it I'll send it along with the decal.

Are you still offering this service?
I started a project with some very faded/oxidized $15 Suzuki GS400 gauges, but was going to try & repaint the faces & screen print on them with plastisol ink, but even with the help of my professional screen printing friend, that route seemed like a LOT of work. I ran outta time & snagged 2 stock sets of gauges to get me by for the season, but would like to pursue this again if you are still doing these.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I moved the Suzuki "S" on the speedo so that I could add a 5mm or 10mm red jeweled LED indicator for an oil pressure warning light, & I added 10mph to the top & bottom of the scale since they are for a 920cc GS750 & not a GS400) & moved all the numbers around to the new shifted positions & added 120 & 130mph to the new top speed increments. Changed the tach redline to 10k as well. Never finished cleaning up all the speckles/oxidation spots/faded graphics, as I must've spent several hours to get that far even. The originals looked far worse in person & scanned/enlarged than in the photo here.

Here is what a similar European model small 1970's Suzuki twin (sp125?) tach looks like brand new unfaded NOS with jeweled lenses still in place. I'd like to match the background color to the original Suzuki/Nippon antique dark brown as well, works excellent at night with the orange paint on the insides of the pod housings, produces a very pleasing warm glow. The redline areas I had not converted to red yet in between the increment lines.

Also, is a jpg file fine, or do you prefer the unpixellated vector image file format? My screen printing buddy said that's all he uses now, produces cleaner images. With the high resolution scan I did, I didn't think the pixelated file would appear any different to the naked eye.

Lastly, do you think it may be wise to try & run a bead of 2 part clear epoxy around the hidden outside edge to potentially prevent the vinyl overlay from peeling up in the long term future from heat/humidity/sunlight?

Thanks!

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 281
Chuck78 said:
Are you still offering this service?
I started a project with some very faded/oxidized $15 Suzuki GS400 gauges, but was going to try & repaint the faces & screen print on them with plastisol ink, but even with the help of my professional screen printing friend, that route seemed like a LOT of work. I ran outta time & snagged 2 stock sets of gauges to get me by for the season, but would like to pursue this again if you are still doing these.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I moved the Suzuki "S" on the speedo so that I could add a 5mm or 10mm red jeweled LED indicator for an oil pressure warning light, & I added 10mph to the top & bottom of the scale since they are for a 920cc GS750 & not a GS400) & moved all the numbers around to the new shifted positions & added 120 & 130mph to the new top speed increments. Changed the tach redline to 10k as well. Never finished cleaning up all the speckles/oxidation spots/faded graphics, as I must've spent several hours to get that far even. The originals looked far worse in person & scanned/enlarged than in the photo here.

Yes. This service is still available. Email me at info@sparckmoto.com and we'll discuss the details.

Good afternoon.

I've been working over the winter in a cafe racer cb360 project, and was going to splash out on a Motogadget speedometer but seeing this thread have decided to keep the standard one but with a new face.

Here in the uk the cafe racer scene centred on the Ace Cafe where the locals would try to join the 'ton up' club ....... This gives me an idea for a speedo!

I'm thinking of having the markings rotated so that the 100 / Ton is at the top of the face is 12. 0 would be somewhere around 4 on the clock face.

Attached is a photo of the speedo from my bike.

Sonreir, would my idea work, could you make me an overlay with black background, white letters, and Ton at 12 o'clock?

Steve

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 327
Back
Top Bottom