1982 CB750F...Better Devil

Re: 1982 CB750F Resto-mod. At least that's the current plan.

Things are on the up. Pulled the tank and checked all the hoses, possible that the vacuum hose was a bit pinched, I’m not sure. Everything else looked kosher, nothing binding but I gave everything a good check.

Drained float bowl in carb 1, took the bowl off - everything looked alright in there but I pulled the float and needle anyway and gave them both a good clean, also blasted carb cleaner up into the needle seat. As Irk suggested I also blew through the fuel line.

Hooked the tank up again, carb 1 leaked right away but once I fired up the engine it stopped and didn’t leak again. Bike’s idling better, revs aren’t going up by themselves like before - a little stuttery when I crack the throttle and release it (as the revs drop they don’t do so smoothly but a bit juddery). Here’s a vid -

https://youtu.be/oiVI40OEzDc

Definite improvement

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Awesome improvement. Still hanging a bit on decel from the rev, but maybe just an air mix adjustment.

1982 CB750F Resto-mod. At least that's the current plan.

Cheers Irk, is that something that a decent vacuum synch would take care of? Or pilot screw adjustment?

Wetter than an otter’s pocket here so at least the rain is drowning out my erratic engine somewhat. At least that what I like to think my neighbours are thinking.

You been busy my man. Good show! 8)

Thanks Trek, thankfully with the other CB in decent shape I can just borrow what I need from her (which is a lot!) as I try to get this beast in shape. Hopefully the carbs are in good enough shape (especially after a vacuum synch) to get this on the road soon - pass the safety inspection and then out with the power tools 8)

The Jimbonaut said:
on the road soon - pass the safety inspection and then out with the power tools 8)

11494-090818201506.png

1982 CB750F Resto-mod. At least that's the current plan.

Ha! Super powers or MEK-into-the-eyeball-significant-abilities...whichever comes first

The Jimbonaut said:
Ha! Super powers or MEK-into-the-eyeball-significant-abilities...whichever comes first

Had my fair share of acetone nd lacquer thinner in the eyes...Although Ive recently started using MEK, I havent tried it yet. :eek:

The stuff is b-r-u-t-a-l. Despite every best laid plan, most MEK adventures in my garage go south quite dramatically. I do however always dress for the occasion and that's a good thing - this stuff will eat your soul and laugh as it spits out the dark parts.

Will it ever melt through varnish though. Mamma mia.

Not much been doing but that may change soon. Still need to get the bike in shape enough to pass its safety exam, these'll help -

cqy1v8L.jpg

Avon Roadriders. They look good, the reviews are glowing and I like the width of them too. But it's the smell that's got me writing home - wonderful.

Also picked a new starter relay up from a friend which will definitely help no end too -

lwQkYix.jpg

Maritime said:
Nice, love roadriders.

+1. have them on my gt250 and one on the front of the airhead. The tires have more grip than I have guts lol

My choice was pretty limited in terms of sizes for this bike - came down to Metzeler Lasertecs and a few others but for the money and the reviews I read these things are the business. Good in rain, good on cracks and excellent on tar snakes. I went for a ride on the KLR up into the hills a while back, hit two snakes going round a corner and totally lost the front end. That's squeaky bum time right there, don't want to experience that again in a hurry.

Hurco550 said:
+1. have them on my gt250 and one on the front of the airhead. The tires have more grip than I have guts lol

Exactly, I could not get to the limits of traction on them with my 450 and they lasted 3 seasons before I sold it. Shinkos stick too but I only get 1 season out of them

Maritime said:
Exactly, I could not get to the limits of traction on them with my 450 and they lasted 3 seasons before I sold it. Shinkos stick too but I only get 1 season out of them

yep, I have a shinko 712 out back, grips good enough, but will likely need replaced at the end of the season (depending on how many miles I can hammer out before the baby gets here haha)

Once I got the roadrider broke in, I hit up my usual tire test curve in the back of the neighborhood. There are very few houses back there, and even less traffic, plus the lot on the corner is clear cut so you can see clear through it for on coming traffic. I try to hit it at 5 m.p.h. higher increments and see how the tires feel. I shouldn't admit to how fast I hit the curve (in a 35 mph residential zone) lol before I felt the rear shinko "going". It felt like it was just on the verge of starting to wash, but the front with the roadrider held tight. Either way, I hit that curve way harder than I ever would in normal daily, or even spirited riding on a lesser known road.

I know that curve. ;)

irk miller said:
I know that curve. ;)
One day when I went to work over the dr650 in that corner after changing fork oil weights, I rode down to find some gravel from the berm kicked out into the curve. I rode home, got a broom and was sweeping it off. I got a few funny looks from the few cars that did pass by while I was out there sweeping off the road by hand haha.

sorry for the thread jack jimbo. Here in ohio, we basically have like 3 curves in the entire state, so I have to talk about it ya know lol

back to your regularly scheduled programming ;)

Ha! I hear you mate - here in Montreal we have 2 roads with no pot holes in. They get talked about a lot too ;D

Interestingly, I'm thinking of adding some longer spacers to the KLR forks - the front end seems a little plunge-y. I thought about changing the oil weight but think I'll try the spacers first, see if I can stiffen things up a bit.

There. Jacked my own thread. *mic drop

Progress may be geologically slow (think glacier-moving-down-a-mountain slow) but progress nonetheless. Wheels came off yesterday, hoping to get the new rubber on today. Got myself a part-time job at a local motorcycle repair and custom shop so if I get in an hour or two earlier I can sling my own Avons on.

Pvoo4Vf.jpg

What a difference a year makes. This '82 CB (albeit an F) has a few noticeable upgrades to the '81 K, none more apparent (so far at least) than the brakes. Not just dual discs up front and a disc out back, but sturdier caliper brackets too. Guess I shouldn't be surprised (it's Honda Progress after all) but good to see all the same.

Back
Top Bottom