My 1981 Honda CB750 Custom

J-Rod10 said:
Glad the rearsets laced up nicely for you. And, nice bike!

Thanks :) After a 30 mile or so ride with a few adjustments, I think they are going to work out well.

I'm in the process of building an 82. I may go with a short lever like yours on my brake side. Regular length tucks up in to the case pretty tight, even with a larger than normal offset.

20150403_104828_zpsz5n5ruhy.jpg

Holy modification. Honestly I was a bit skeptical about how it would look, but it looks great and is perfectly functional. It would give you more room if you need to work on the motor and you wouldn't lose any brake function while riding. Actually, you might get more function from the brake because your foot wouldn't be so close to the clutch cover.

That's what I'm thinking. Not like I have to get the toes underneath it for any reason.

Those rear sets look nice, I've got an '82 750 custom, decent ride right now, but planning a bit of a transformation. Maybe I missed it, but where did you get the rear sets? and what did it take to mount them? Did you use the stock rear peg mount? Do you have a better side shot of the bike with them on? maybe so I can see linkage and positioning of everything? Your bike looks pretty nice.

Freb_mc said:
Those rear sets look nice, I've got an '82 750 custom, decent ride right now, but planning a bit of a transformation. Maybe I missed it, but where did you get the rear sets? and what did it take to mount them? Did you use the stock rear peg mount? Do you have a better side shot of the bike with them on? maybe so I can see linkage and positioning of everything? Your bike looks pretty nice.
JRod-10 made them for me. If you look at his pic in this thread you can see he has the same for his bike. I am happy with how they turned out. I designed and my Brother welded together plates for me to mount my rearsets. There are two close up pics above showing the plates. They are higher and further back than stock but not near as far as the passenger peg mounts. Back there is too far imo for drag bars. Let me a see if I can find a further away pic with them mounted.

Ok, I see after looking at the pics a little closer. I assume you're still running mechanical rear brake? I guess I was thrown off from JRod-10's picture, I saw the custom swing arm and hydraulic rear brake. Any way its looking good, seems really close to the stock exhaust, I think I read you were planning to go to a 4-1 pipe, let me know how that works out.

Freb_mc said:
Ok, I see after looking at the pics a little closer. I assume you're still running mechanical rear brake? I guess I was thrown off from JRod-10's picture, I saw the custom swing arm and hydraulic rear brake. Any way its looking good, seems really close to the stock exhaust, I think I read you were planning to go to a 4-1 pipe, let me know how that works out.
They are indexable 360 degrees. You can run them with a master, like my set up, or with a drum, like Yogi's.

Freb_mc said:
Yes, it's the stock rear drum. Thanks, There will be pics in here for sure :)

I added a new headlight ring, which was a bit of tight fit so we'll see how that holds up in the future and also added a new spin on oil filter adapter without the oil cooler option that I had sitting on the shelf for a while. I am happy with it's looks but I may try to find a chrome filter the next time I change the oil.

Attachments

• spin on 1.jpg
    spin on 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 354
  • spin on 2.jpg
    spin on 2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 329
I love the spin-on filter mod, but it's too tight a fit behind my Wolf 4-1 exhaust, so what I'm THINKING, is to either run some lines directly off the case to a remote filter housing under the seat, OR - a large truck-type short-bodied wide diameter spin-on filter, using a direct reducer bushing without any alloy plate between the filter and the crank-case. Years ago I dug through a catalogue of oil filters & found something with the right diameter, which I've lost all records of. But I know it DOES exist. Trick is, whether or not there's something short enough to tuck behind the pipe. A third option, probably the most expensive but preferable anywhichway, would be to alter the pipe with spring-hooks & breaks between the head itself & the collector - I picture 'em mid-way up the vertical section that way I could use different stubby bits off a MAC pipe or some such, and this would create some extension both forward from the cases ('cause the MAC pipe would have that extra distance) and an extension dropping the collector further from the sump pan, so that I could do the DEEP-SUMP mods I cooked up for my 750 but never got to put into practice. ('Cause the bike was lost in a fire.)

On the one hand, I really don't wanna deal with removing my damn pipe each and every time I change the oil & filter, and on the other hand there'd be the bonus of returning the finned clamps to the exhaust outlets (rather than the flat flanges they weld onto aftermarket pipes, which are FUGLY as all get out, IMHO) The finned exhaust clamp rings are one of the beautiful parts of an air-cooled motor, it sucks not having 'em. I saved a couple sets of the alloy ones from my old 750 motors, 'cause I knew the 900 would have the steel ones which wouldn't polish up....

So yeah I'm jealous as hell of your spin-on filter adapter, or more to the point I'm jealous as hell of the wide open space between your header pipes.

I guess what I'm getting at, is that there's a lot to be said for the four-into-two and four-into-four exhaust systems. The parallel pipes running down the sides of the cases leave open a WORLD of possibilities to play with the oiling system, as well as just leaving the damn pipes on the bike during routine maintenance! If folks are looking at a 4-1 pipe,

(((Well first of all I recommend "Cycle Exchange" 'cause they've got a cheap (on par with MAC in price but possibly better quality) in a 4-2-1 type with the proper cross-over or pairing of the pipes, so as to make greater overall power and stronger mid-range from what I've heard. Ah, but they're not exactly a SCHULE pipe which is where the reputation of 4-2-1 comes from, so maybe they've pulled it off maybe not - but it's the "correct" way to plumb the exhaust in any case!)))

Ahem - yes. IF people are considering a 4-1 pipe, take a good look at how it's gonna affect your maintenance routine - and weigh that against a proper estimate of how much weight it's really gonna save you. 'Cause there have gotta be some half-way compromise exhausts out there, either using longer headers & a collector behind the sump where the cross-over equalizer pipe normally goes - OR maybe even some "shotgun" pipes, four-into-four, with some alternate muffler work on the ends which might save a bit of weight also. Guess it comes down to the NOISE ordinance where you live, whether it's enforced or not! Ha-ha. 'Cause I doubt there's an effective miniature end-can that's gonna tune each pipe properly, without taking up a bunch of space or adding a crap load of weight to the bike. MAYBE there's some cheap Titanium straight pipes & traditional exhausts which give the same look as the Sand-Cast 4-4 or the DOHC CB750KZ-LTD also had a 4-4 pipe on it (pretty rare stuff to get a hold of, sadly enough - though allegedly the 750 SOHC pipes will work with the 750 DOHC - not the 900, sadly enough....) No question of it, the 4-4 systems are gonna add plenty of weight to the bike, unless they're totally illegal shotgun type of stuff. Still, a lot of the 4-1 pipes are still pretty heavy, I guess that's the thing to look out for: a pipe that gives up the good features yet gives no advantage in return. Yep - the OEM exhaust HEADER at least, is lookin' pretty good IMHO.....

Just thought I'd offer my two-bits on the subject, given that you're considering changing your exhaust!

-Sigh.

A week or so ago I installed a new exhaust on the bike. It is a Ceramic coated Kerker header with a Cone Engineering reverse megaphone muffler. I was really curious to see what it sounded like and it didn't disappoint. I am so happy I went with the cone engineering muffler. It is loud but it's tone is incredible. It's music to my ears running through the rpm range. Below I have attached a before and after pic as well as a stand alone pic of the exhaust. I still have to make a rear hanger for it but I was surprised by the weight difference between the two exhausts.

Attachments

• DSCN6475.JPG
    DSCN6475.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 301
  • DSCN6480.JPG
    DSCN6480.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 303
  • DSCN6487.JPG
    DSCN6487.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 334
YogiBear said:
A week or so ago I installed a new exhaust on the bike. It is a Ceramic coated Kerker header with a Cone Engineering reverse megaphone muffler. I was really curious to see what it sounded like and it didn't disappoint. I am so happy I went with the cone engineering muffler. It is loud but it's tone is incredible. It's music to my ears running through the rpm range. Below I have attached a before and after pic as well as a stand alone pic of the exhaust. I still have to make a rear hanger for it but I was surprised by the weight difference between the two exhausts.

any videos yet? that's the same setup i'm running next week.

Not yet. It has been raining here the last week so I have only had brief breaks to try it out. What bike are you putting yours on?

JimmyD750 said:
@YogiBear good to see you still working on it!!!!

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
Thanks Jimmy :) I have to get back to that original mirage paint job one of these days ;)

I finished up bobbing the front fender and painted it to match the body work. I have to say, I really like the look of it bobbed. Much slimmer and better.

Attachments

• DSCN7626.JPG
    DSCN7626.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 276
  • DSCN7628.JPG
    DSCN7628.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 287
Back
Top Bottom