CB550f 1976 back from the dead project.

Hey Ringo, thanks! In my first post, 4 pages back, is a link to my build when i came to this forum. I made a new topic. dunno why actually :p Here:

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=26406.0

Seat made from 18mm waterproof multiplex:
I've asked ALOT of times on the forum how to do seats, not that much responses so i just started. turned out ok i guess. gonna fit it tomorrow and we'll see from there.

I first made a rough model with scrap wood and painter-tape. Wrote down some measurements and used that to make a solid underpan from the multiplex. Planning on using hard foam to make the seat give it's final shape and then some softer foam for covering. Already have a fabric to go on top. Salvaged and old chair and using the seat-fabric. Has lines and everything already sewn in! Using wood because it's easy to work with and because i can nail the seat to it, wich Impossible with sheetmetal.

Weapons of mass destruction:
18022012709.jpg

18022012710.jpg

18022012711.jpg

18022012713.jpg

18022012712.jpg

Will flatten the 2 little pieces in the first bend. They're primarily there to help the contraption dry in the right angle. Plan is to mount some heavy steel bar (5mmx50mm) across the length of the seat with bolts, and touching the wood everywhere. That will give it enough strength to ride 2-up and i'll have something to attach my hinge on.
There are little pieces of round-wood at the angles, they're called "duvels" in Dutch. They help a lot to for strength too.

Also using some water-hose cut in half lengthwise across the edges of the seatpan to protect the foam and fabric from the hard and sharp edges. Guess it will be a little more comfortable as well.

Did a shitload today.

Bleeded brakes
Installed new clutch hose and bleeded that aswell
checked my wiring and such
cleaned carbs

and

GOT HER RUNNING AGAIN!
http://youtu.be/taRXgniY77s

Made a bracket for licence plate, and made a taillight from a home-decoration stainless thing (eggholder?), and old LED ceiling spot (12v) and some electronics. No pics from that, you can see it in first pic a bit...

My GF sewed the lines in, and we upholstered the wooden seat yesterday-evening. She said she liked it better than hanging on the couch watching stupid tv shows all night. DAMN RIGHT IT IS! hahaha she's starting to get the virus, sweet :)

24022012730.jpg

24022012731.jpg

Came out great, but doesn't fit the way i want it to. So, change of plans...

23022012724.jpg

23022012725.jpg

23022012726.jpg

23022012728.jpg

23022012729.jpg

[darth vader]"Luke.....I'm your.... aaargghh!! Screw that Luke, Paint and chrome won't take ya home!"[/darth vader]
23022012727.jpg

24022012732.jpg

24022012733.jpg

bracket:
24022012734.jpg

24022012735.jpg

Drilled the holes in the rear bracket on the frame so the bolts fit thru. Will use some washers and locknuts on the underside to mount the seat. Question ( posted in seats&tanks aswell..) but how do i attach the final seatfabric to the polyester? Glue won't do and staples don't go in far enough and if they do, they'll fall out just as easy. Wood in the polyester in no-go, not enough space between frame and pan. HELP!
Going to buy more polyester tomorrow and finish the seat. Cover the metal bracket in resin, fix all the edges and use the other meaterial to make the pan stronger here and there. Getting the hang of it, thinking about covering the rearfender in resin also. Has some serious rust holes in plain sight. Resin would cure that instantly. Sanding and paint would make it as new :) first time ever with resin, but i like resin already. Crazy awesome "create bizarre shapes and strong shit out of nothing" stuff. Me likey!
Dreamweaving material :)

Hey DesmoBro,

Buttons would work if i wanted a sloppy cafe sea i guess... But i want a very tight cover, and the buttons are near impossible to mount in the right location before final tensioning of the fabric. Good idea though, thanks for the think-input!

are there even any more options besides glue, staples and buttons? I have a feeling there's a very logical, good and easy way to do this...

pop rivets. I have a fiberglass pan on my GL. Came with a huge King and Queen ass cup seat. Cover was riveted on. I tore that cover off, drilled out old rivets, cut the foam down and replaced the cover with Leather. I just had a punch and as I stretched the leather over the pan to the underside when I got it where I wanted it, I punched the leather and put a rivet in and popped it to hold the cover. took about 20 rivets all the way around and I just re-used the existing rivet holes. I think I drilled 1-2 new holes in the pan to make a tight fit. Looks good and 2 seasons of riding so far.

Cheers,

NP, you may, depending on the type fo fabric want to use those little washers under the head to help.

Cheers

Maritime

Yeah i came to that idea also. The washer distributes the force from the tension more over the fabric then a rivet would do on it's own.

Pfew.. that took a while to translate in my head from Dutch to US haha

Hey Bert Jan,
On the Dutch Motor-Forum there is a guy, he calls himself HawkGT, he's really good with fabric on seats.
I've got his mailaddress if you want to have it I can send it to you.

Remember the "old" frontbrake ?
Foto-KSLTHYNE-D.jpg

This was the first picture after mounting it over half a year ago.

hey Tetter! Haha ben jij degene die m'n vork gekocht heeft?

I know hawk does good seats, but hey, if i wanted other people to do my work, i would have bought a new bike. I mean, the money i have in it so far would buy me a damn fine "off the shelf" bike ;)

He's a good guy, I think he will give you some free advise if you ask nice :)

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=33182.0

Ja heb diezelfde dag de poten nog gemonteerd :)
Ondertussen nieuwe keerringen en iets dikkere olie erin, geeft een betere feedback bij het remmen.
Denk nog wel aan een brace oid, hij tordeert veel zo zonder spatbord

Nice! Totally missed your topic.. I've already sorted out the seat problem. Going to use rivets and shims to make it work.

(for the Dutchies ;))

Oke dan! Tof om je hier te zien en fijn dat de rem gebruikt word!
Ben ook bezig met mn vriendin's cb200. wellicht vind je dat ook leuk om even te checken?

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=32298.0

Dat de motor beroerd loopt komt denk ik echt van de niet -originele luchtfilter. Mijne had precies hetzelfde zonder filters. Met ori filter was alles precies goed.

Picture update! Few more days before first ride in 2012:) Headlight, taillight and soldering everything up. She fires, runs, brakes are good, clutch is good. Everything is good:)

Headlight brackets. Made them because they're not around in 52mm. Think they came out awesome :)
29022012745.jpg

29022012746.jpg

01032012751.jpg

01032012750.jpg

Used some exhaust clamps for mounting:
01032012755.jpg

01032012754.jpg

Seat. what a pain to get it like this. Not entirely like i wanted it. Going to chop the frame in near future with hoop welded and such. Seat will be re-done then. this is just to keep my butt dry and warm.

29022012747.jpg

01032012756.jpg

01032012758.jpg

01032012757.jpg

Back
Top Bottom