CB550f 1976 back from the dead project.

Some updates. Carbs were leaking madly. Cleaned them on the bike couple of times but kept leaking. Decided to take em off the bike and clean really good. use new orings and such and hope for the best:

lemon juice and citric acid FTW!
10032012780.jpg

funky funky! (smell that is)
10032012781.jpg

Schermafbeelding2012-03-11om234611.png

found out all floats were off like mad. Adjusted them the right way:

Not touching needle:
Schermafbeelding2012-03-11om234548.png

Tilt carb until float touching needle:
Schermafbeelding2012-03-11om234540.png

This should be 22mm when carb is held in angle from above photo.
Schermafbeelding2012-03-11om234533.png

Hmmm pretty!
Schermafbeelding2012-03-11om234556.png

More blue to come...
Schermafbeelding2012-03-11om234524.png

yeah i know my bowls are the wrong way on. don't care, those brass bolts don't come off evah again ;)

Yeah, sure was considering it took 3 shots to get the carbs mounted on the rack. fuel-T's, venthoses, little knob for returnspring between #2 & #3 and not to forget those irritating ball-hinges. But its dry and clean, so no complaining!

30 days shit again hehe..Im sorry it;s not been updated lately. Im working like a madman to get school done. 1 more week and then it's done!

updates, not that big but whatever...

got myself a new workshop. 800m2 and starting a bike-shop in it after school. Custom fabbing, engine overhaul, wheel building, that kind of stuff.
IMG_0452.jpg

made the hoop
IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

the hoop is now black, as is the fender.

and made the anti-tankslap knob thingy. basicly welded a piece of metal to the existing one. done deal.
IMG_0491.jpg

lemon juice and citric acid?

I need to do the same to my CB550 carbs.. interesting method. Was going to buy a sonic kit from Princess Auto. But this looks like a more affordable alternative.

how long did you boil the parts for?
citric acid.. feel dumb asking.. where do you get that from?
are you happy with the out come?

any pointers are greatly appreciated. thanks

RustyOlive said:
lemon juice and citric acid?

I need to do the same to my CB550 carbs.. interesting method. Was going to buy a sonic kit from Princess Auto. But this looks like a more affordable alternative.

how long did you boil the parts for?
citric acid.. feel dumb asking.. where do you get that from?
are you happy with the out come?

any pointers are greatly appreciated. thanks

Pretty sure that's from lemon or lime juice you can buy at the store. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Hey RustyOlive,

The lemon juice can be found in every food-store. (Well, in the netherlands anyway..) It's sold in small yellow bottles. (pic 1). The acid is the exact same stuff, but solid, not fluid. I bought 20 grams of it in a indonesian toko and it costs 2 bucks. Lookss like sugar. It burns like hell on your tongue, really bad hehehe

Make sure to dissolve the stuff in boiling water completely before the carbs go swimming, rinse 'em like there's no tomorrow and use an old pan ;) you can throw it away when you're done. What i've heard, (not done) you can even put a cathode in it and use the same method as anodizing, sans colour. That will make it even cleaner.
But for me, this is a-ok. it looked really good, and still does by the way. I did the proces twice, as there was a lot of debris coming in the acid.
You'll have to eyeball the amount of acid/water. I threw in 5 bottles of the lemon juice and 10 grams acid at a time. used 10 bottles and 20 grams as i did it twice. I really advice you to do it twice, as the acid only works for a short amount of time. Second time around the carbs were really clean!

Bert Jan said:
got myself a new workshop. 800m2

may I ask how much you'll pay for it?
I'm going to rent a 70m2 garage and that will cost me half of my wage. Situation is crazy over here :(

Well, dunno if you're a Dutchie, if so (het is anti-kraak met wederzijdse 2 weken opzegtermijn..)
and if you're not, i rent the place from an organisation that makes sure empty warehouses keep their value (no bum's and crackheads in it) i pay 140 euro's a month YEAH! only thing is they can kick me out anytime with a two week break. If they decide i gotta go, i have 2 weeks to pack my stuff. But since the warehousing is at an historical downpont here in holland i'm not so worried :)

Hey Bruno,

I'm at the same point as the last post i did. Changed to another shop last month because the place i had got rented for real (car-garage). Im working on a few assignments, a cb500, a cb650 and a 750. Im working on my own 550 race project as well.

For the cb550 in this topic i bought myself an XT600 disc fork. Just because i felt the USD race thing did not fit the picture tracker-wise. Hub was a straight swap (both 15mm axles) and i had a disc laying around with the right pattern and diameter. Im now lacing a 18' rim up front and she'll be ready again.

happy holidays everybody!

Good news! Get those pics up when you are done, I'm still plugging away on mine, it may change out of a tracker and into something else, not sure at the moment.

Woooow soo now for some updates. Long time no see ;)

Lots happended last weeks. Changed my workshop to a smaller, but closer to home buiding with heaters and such. Better deal imo.

Pics;
IMG_1434_zps02e581d3.jpg

my girl and my mate;
IMG_1436_zpsbabe5cb3.jpg

IMG_1440_zps26d1b43b.jpg

and now for some bike related stuff ;)

bought a lathe, (BEST BUY EVER) They should have called that 'the sanitykeeper'.. and put it to work;
IMG_1416_zps6934a965.jpg

IMG_1415_zps8c2fad25.jpg
\

i know, bearing is toast..

Scored spokes and laced the 18" rim to the stock cb hub using 40x190mm spokes.

The T-piece had the same OD (lucky lucky) as the cb, 30mm and 26mm so it went in without a problem.
The fork was modded before i bought i, so im not sure a stock XT600 fork will fit in a cb!

drilled holes and made fork stoppers out of m5 inbus bolts.
IMG_1518_zpsd67fb798.jpg

IMG_1451_zps3d0124d8.jpg

IMG_1513_zps4433285c.jpg

made a number plate and a bracket for the new headlight (between the fork legs)
IMG_1514_zpsa2321e84.jpg

put on 360mm shocks also, and there she is;

IMG_1520_zps2374a863.jpg

Bled the brake and clutch, all works fine. Wiring comes tomorrow and then i'm back to work on customers bikes.

Yesterday i needed to go to my old workshop to get some last bits n pieces.. I took the 200 out for a cold spin. White walls look cool too eh ;)
IMG_1524_zpsf286eb1f.jpg

As its snowing pretty hardcore here, i decided not to go to work but play in the snow with the GF. Good times :)

IMG_1528_zps371c5280.jpg

This evening i went to the shop and worked on the seatpan/electrics;

IMG_1542_zps4cf3f9be.jpg

Back
Top Bottom