1997 BMW F650ST to F650R: Enduro Hellride Conversion

Re: 1997 BMW F650 El Diablo Hellride

Final step for the carbs- cable and filters...

878f4718cc8906a851d6eae2aa0720ea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Great looking bike man, and really impressive fabrication skills - very inspiring. I gotta get me more some more skills...

I love the look of the raw metal tank - I did the same on my Honda build and I'm thinking on doing the same on my KLR too. I prepped the CB tank to within an inch of its life and took every precaution I could against rust but after a few months little "hairs" of it appeared under the 2K clear. The only thing I didn't do was really heat the tank up before the clear to evaporate any moisture in the steel. Do you have any tips on how to prevent rust?

The Jimbonaut said:
Do you have any tips on how to prevent rust?
Give it a bath in a phosphoric acid and alcohol solution. You can spray it or seal the tank up and bath it. The acid produces sort of a protective layer that can last for months or even years until water hits it. If you're just trying to eliminate flash rusting before clear coat, that'll do it.

Thanks man, I'll try that. It's no so much flash rust however - when I cleared the CB tank it was absolutely rust free. It was only after several months that small "hairs" of rust started to appear under the clear. I've been told that's caused by moisture in the steel slowly rusting the metal from under the clear. It doesn't look bad by any means, but, you know - rust.

Yeah, I imagine the clear is not an impenetrable surface. I fully plan to paint this tank. The look of bare metal can be nice, but I don't expect it to be long standing.

irk miller said:
Yeah, I imagine the clear is not an impenetrable surface. I fully plan to paint this tank. The look of bare metal can be nice, but I don't expect it to be long standing.

Sounds about right. I did Eastwood Clear over my chop tins and they've held up pretty well over about 4 years but there is definitely a bit of oxidation under it these days. Looks good on the chop but I do think your 650 would look better with paint.

Yeah. Don't know where anyone got the idea I was going with a bare tank. This bike will be white with motorsport colors. That was always the plan.

irk miller said:
Yeah. Don't know where anyone got the idea I was going with a bare tank. This bike will get motorsport colors. That was always the plan.
Nope, we voted. Bare tank. Deal with it lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

irk miller said:
Yeah. Don't know where anyone got the idea I was going with a bare tank. This bike will be white with motorsport colors. That was always the plan.

BARE METAL WITH WHITE AND COLOURSTRIPES then clear coated and pure and sexy :)

irk miller said:

I threw that curveball man, sorry to derail things! It just looks so good as it is on your bike I guessed that was the styling you were going for.

irk miller said:
because this is Do The Ton, and "patina" is good. So are clown shoes, er, Firestone's.

The Jimbonaut said:
I threw that curveball man, sorry to derail things! It just looks so good as it is on your bike I guessed that was the styling you were going for.
It's all good. There's just some nipple pinching going on amongst friends. HAHA.

Somebody say nipples?

Attachments

• received_10159900027290174.jpeg
    received_10159900027290174.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 242
Back
Top Bottom