JULY 2014 - DO THE TON BIKE OF THE MONTH - VOTE!

Vote for the one you like :)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tim

Administrator
Staff member
Vote! If anyone wants their voting pic changed just let me know. Post up your pics and stories!

A while back i bought 2 cl450 and for 500 bucks two Viragos for $400. Then i called a friend and struck a deal fixed the better of the two up to unload the runner for 500 bucks and sold it for a grand. My attentions turned to the more original nonrunner heap of junk that had been "rewired" with a spool of red 12ga wire. I took a que cue from the honda guys on DTT. I decided to strip all the paint and build a "brat" throw spare parts at it until it looked better. First i stole a seat from a junk 70's honda dirt bike made a seat out of a camping mat, some 16ga steel, and a chair in my attic, and cut threw the fenders down away. A few phone calls and a ebay DTT for sale listing later i was 700 bucks to the good ha abd the 450 never started still in the hole. So with both bikes one Virago gone i turned my attention to the extra parts that came with the 450's leftover stuff sitting around my garage. I sold the fined covers to some hipster and some carb and clutch parts to a dtt member ect ect... mocked some stuff up in cardboard all the while i was building a war chest and hatching a plain.

The front end came from Brad, as you may recall from his tale about my having poisoned a stableful of racehorses; Dreadrock sat on them for a couple of months, too. VonYinzer made a couple license plate brackets; somebody sent me a Ninja handlebar riser. Several people here put parts into this thing, paid for or given away, and I think it's probably fair to say that my work on this thing was what eventually got me a part-time job at Checkered Past, getting to work on real motorcycles. And the Viragostrosity has been discussed in not one, but two episodes of the ClevelandMoto podcast (2013 and 2014).

So you're not voting on my efforts, you're voting on a family of like-minded guys that would drop everything to help a friend. Sleep on that before you make a choice. There is no store or ebay listing that sells the stuff that built this bike.

The bonds of friends holds this Yamaha together.

4uda6uhu.jpg

uba8arar.jpg

mynege8u.jpg

ysy3u5ah.jpg

Rich Ard said:
A while back i bought 2 cl450 and for 500 bucks two Viragos for $400. Then i called a friend and struck a deal fixed the better of the two up to unload the runner for 500 bucks and sold it for a grand. My attentions turned to the more original nonrunner heap of junk that had been "rewired" with a spool of red 12ga wire. I took a que cue from the honda guys on DTT. I decided to strip all the paint and build a "brat" throw spare parts at it until it looked better. First i stole a seat from a junk 70's honda dirt bike made a seat out of a camping mat, some 16ga steel, and a chair in my attic, and cut threw the fenders down away. A few phone calls and a ebay DTT for sale listing later i was 700 bucks to the good ha abd the 450 never started still in the hole. So with both bikes one Virago gone i turned my attention to the extra parts that came with the 450's leftover stuff sitting around my garage. I sold the fined covers to some hipster and some carb and clutch parts to a dtt member ect ect... mocked some stuff up in cardboard all the while i was building a war chest and hatching a plain.

The front end came from Brad, as you may recall from his tale about my having poisoned a stableful of racehorses; Dreadrock sat on them for a couple of months, too. VonYinzer made a couple license plate brackets; somebody sent me a Ninja handlebar riser. Several people here put parts into this thing, paid for or given away, and I think it's probably fair to say that my work on this thing was what eventually got me a part-time job at Checkered Past, getting to work on real motorcycles. And the Viragostrosity has been discussed in not one, but two episodes of the ClevelandMoto podcast (2013 and 2014).

So you're not voting on my efforts, you're voting on a family of like-minded guys that would drop everything to help a friend. Sleep on that before you make a choice. There is no store or ebay listing that sells the stuff that built this bike.

The bonds of friends holds this Yamaha together.
HA

I built the SR for my youngest son's grad gift. It's been a long process pulling together all the parts from different motorcycles or fabbing them myself but it was all worth it to see how stoked he was to receive it a couple of days ago, and even more of a pleasure to ride with him again. We drove over 1400 miles to deliver it to him and ride with him.

10459919_10152455038040791_2904284596928237692_n.jpg

10354739_10152485090000791_4610852825652043247_n.jpg

I posted it on reddit and now the entire universe has seen it, yes.

Terry wants to sway us with stories about his kid, eh? Well here's a picture of one of my kids with the Virago.

YOUR MOVE.

Attachments

• brad.jpg
    brad.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,917
It's missing a mohawk. C'mon man. Let's throw normalcy out the window here. We're pushing a Virago, not Hershey kisses.

"and I think it's probably fair to say that my work on this thing was what eventually got me a part-time job at Checkered Past, getting to work on real motorcycles. "

Dam straight it did. When we saw what you were doing to that poor thing, we immediately knew two things.......you could at least turn a wrench but more importantly, you had a sense of humor. Knew you'd fit right in at the shop. Up until that point it was kinda of iffy after your 450 engine rebuild dowsed anyone following it in a spray of oil.

Quoth POCPhil: "That Virago...sounds like a skeleton jerkin' off into a coffee can."

Anyone who has heard a Virago start up will know what he means. I have the pilot circuit dialed in well enough that it's managing to start without the skeleton noises at this point, though.

It's a Virago, though, so it's inevitable that the first time I'm in front of a large group of people it'll do it. :)

Great bikes! Tough choice! :eek:

Done & done! :D

deviant said:
It's missing a mohawk. C'mon man. Let's throw normalcy out the window here. We're pushing a Virago, not Hershey kisses.

y3ene4aj.jpg

No problem.

Back
Top Bottom