Titling a bike that has already been signed in "buyer" section

Madmaxx

Been Around the Block
Ok... I got one for ya.
This sounds screwy.... and it is!
BUT! it might be possible....

My buddy was saying that if you buy a bike that the previous owner already signed the buyer section, you might be able to go to a smaller town/county (not your own) and say you are the person on the title and have it titled in that name.... then you go to your county and sign it in your name.
He said they don't check your I.D. (as long as you pay cash).

And if they do ask, just say, "I think I left it in my truck".... walk out.... walk back in.. "I musta left it at home, I will have to come back another day...."
Then you get the title back and try the next town.

Thoughts? Theories? Questions? Comments? Concerns?
:-\

This is all based upon experiences in Nebraska, not sure if other states are the same or not, but when we were having this conversation it seemed completely logical and that it'd work. I've never had to show ID when getting a title issued anyway.

Hmmmm. I have a title that is like that now, but now that I think about it, it is an Iowa title.
I would have to go to the Sheriff's office to have it inspected.
Ain't no foolin around there!

If it were a Nebraska title, I would be more willing to try it!!!!

What about the option of a bill of sale from the registered owner selling to you, but then saying they lost the original title? What's involved then?

Frankly if you have a written signed bill of sale from the current owner, and his title says its been signed over to a third party, unless that third party has actually registered the bike, the guy you bought it from is going to be in the system as the owner. Just tell them he was going to sell it to someone else but they backed out.

I just had a fairly good experience with the same thing... Bought a 750 last may, redoing it this winter and there was no title. Basically it was a running parts bike. I called the police and had them run the vin to make sure it wasn't reported stolen, then called its-title, www.its-title.com and talked to them about what to do. I had a friend of mine "sell" me the bike, since I didn't get a b.o.s. when buying it. We drew up a bill of sale for $50, got it notorized at the bank, filled out the paperwork for i.t.s., and sent it out. Haven't gotten it back yet, but what I'm getting is an NYS registration, NV title that has my name on it. So for $140 it makes sense. Just make sure if you do buy a parts bike like that, call the police and run the vin FIRST! I realized if it was stolen, i would have been screwed.

Back
Top Bottom