Registering a non-titled bike in Georgia

Flugtechnik

My bike is not transportation, it is a respite
I recently bought my 72 CL450 and I am attempting to register it in Georgia. In Georgia, a vehicle does not require a title if it is a 1985 or older. Because of this, we can get some pretty good deals from neighboring states that require titles. So, a little background.

I bought my bike from a guy in Atlanta and we wrote a bill of sale. He had bought it from a guy in SC a year ago. The next week, I went to the registration office, waited in line for 30 minutes and they said that I had to have a police officer come and physically verify the VIN on the bike and fill out a form (T22b). I went home, let down, and called the police station. They sent an officer out and he arrived within 15 minutes. He was really nice and didn't even mention the box of large illegal fireworks sitting next to the bike in the garage (DOH!). I went back and waited for 45 minutes. They had to call in to some place (the NCIC ?) to verify it was not stolen. There was no answer....for 30 more minutes! They finally came back and said that it hadn't been reported stolen, but the last owner was someone else in SC so I would have to get a bill of sale from him, or the bill of sale from when the guy I bought it from, bought it. Appently this happened because the previous owner never registered the bike. Put out again, I went home.

I emailed the guy I bought it from. He wrote back, saying he had just found his bill of sale and the Ebay ad from when he bought it. Sweet! He sent them to me in the mail. This past Friday I tried again. Got to the registration office at 3:30 and waited in line until 4. The lady said she would have to call it in to the NCIC again, but they closed at 4. What!?!

So, I get to try again tomorrow. Fourth time is a charm right? Right? I'll let you know if I ever get to ride this thing....outside of my neighborhood. ;)

Success! I finally got a license plate, well, a temporary one. They didn't have any of the antique motorcycle plates at the office so they will have to send me one. Instead they gave me an 8.5X11 paper one that I guess I am supposed to tape to my back or something. The lady said I could just keep it in my glove box! :)

Now all I need is my new petcock so the gas will get to my carbs and I am ready to ride!

hd.jpg

in michigan all you need to do is have a bill of sale. if they cant find anything in a few min they just give you a new title.
i did it with my 73 cb500 and a buddy did it with a 98 ninja. one good thing about living in the michigan i guess.

Back
Top Bottom