Hassled for non-DOT lighting?

souperman

Have any of you guys been pulled over and hassled for non-DOT approved taillights or turn signals? I'm looking at these pimp vintage Ford taillights but they are pretty much all not DOT approved. I specially like the ones with the blue dot lenses.

i am never concerned with DOT approval. i just accept the consequences. ive run straight pipes on cars, roll cages, race only rims with that stamped in them etc.

go find your state's inspection requirements for motorcycles, it really doesn't matter if something is "dot" approved, as long as it fits the requirements, lighting for example, usually the brake has to be red, has to have a reflector, needs to be visible at 300', turn signals need to be there and be amber or red on the rear and amber on the front, nothing too complex really

souperman said:
Have any of you guys been pulled over and hassled for non-DOT approved taillights or turn signals? I'm looking at these pimp vintage Ford taillights but they are pretty much all not DOT approved. I specially like the ones with the blue dot lenses.

never... shit, I made my own tail lights :)

Thats a real slippery slop the DOT or NON DOT approved parts. I myself since the early 70`s have run a lot of parts that were not approved. Lights, tires, pipes and have only 1 time been told to put a silencer on my bike. Some inspectors do a quick once over and some check everything. I get inspected with the stock parts and just change what I want to run till next inspection time. But its a big chance to take. I read an article once on just this thing. a guy got into an accident, his insurance co. found out he had a lot of un approved parts, which did not have anything to do with the accident, failed to pay his claim on his injury and the damaged to him and the other guy. Insurance companies are looking for anything not to pay on a claim. In the right circumstances those non apptoved parts could cost you a fortune to run. Some of the laws are fu**ed up. On one of these forums they are talking about the enduros bikes that come with plastic gas tanks .this is a real gray area, you get them inspected, but run across a prick highway patrolman he can give you a ticket. guys say it cheaper to pay the ticket. You want to fight it, an issue like this , you have to get a lawyer, guys say just pay the ticket. thats what I say. Run what the f**k you want and keep riding.

Back
Top Bottom