Title woes

Bouncer

Here goes:

What states title the bike by the engine rather then the frame? I have a bike that the number is totally different then the frame number and the title looks like it is for the motor opposed to the frame. I bought the bike in Wisconsin. I also noticed the title is one number off of the motor as well. I am at my wits end with this bike. I have put alot of money into it already. Now I am concerned about all this title b.s.

Am I screwed?

Bouncer said:
Here goes:

What states title the bike by the engine rather then the frame? I have a bike that the number is totally different then the frame number and the title looks like it is for the motor opposed to the frame. I bought the bike in Wisconsin. I also noticed the title is one number off of the motor as well. I am at my wits end with this bike. I have put alot of money into it already. Now I am concerned about all this title b.s.

Am I screwed?

You have a title, the dmv has never looked at my bike when registering... go with it

rockcitycafe said:
You have a title, the dmv has never looked at my bike when registering... go with it

Exactly! In fact i have a friend who's title does not match his bike at. They don't ask to see your bike when you register, and should you ever get pulled over, i highly doubt they'll look to match VIN's, i've never seen it....don't sweat it dude.

I'm a cop in Texas, and unless I think you're ride is stolen I'm not gonna match VIN's. The fact that the motor doesn't match isn't an issue, at least down here. We only go by the frame to see if all is clear.

Hope it helps...

CresentSon said:
I'm a cop in Texas, and unless I think you're ride is stolen I'm not gonna match VIN's. The fact that the motor doesn't match isn't an issue, at least down here. We only go by the frame to see if all is clear.

Hope it helps...

If it wouldn't be to much trouble would you mind running the vin for me? I have the title but the one number on the engine being different is stressing me out. I have a feeling the DMV is not going to take my side on this one. I just don't understand why wisconsin titles bikes based off of the engine vin. If it was the frame I would have noticed the one number being off. Let me know and I will get you the vin.

I don't mind, but anything I run is TX specific and is going to be by frame. Unless there is a national wanted notice issued it wont show up on TLETS or in the TX-DOT database. Shoot me a PM and I'll see if a fed buddy can track anything.

Titles are supposed to go with the frame. Some bikes came with engine numbers that match and some dont. Moto Guzzi's typically do not. They grab an engine and stick it in a frame and off it goes. There is also the chance that an engine may have been replaced at some point. So long as the title VIN matches the frame you should have no problems...

bouncer, as a fellow 'sconsinite i assure you will be fine... just roll with it. i had some title probs too, but you will never get hassled too much, unless your trying to sell it. just register it like you would even if the numbers match.

Back
Top Bottom