Do i have to register a bike within 6 days of purchase?

chimbo

I read on the ministry website that this must be done. I am wondering if anyone didn't do it within 6 days and what happened. The reason I am asking is because the bike i wanna buy needs some work and I need time to do it to get it safety'd. This might not make any sense, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Could i get the seller to post date the bill of sale?

No - you don't need to. I've gone a full year between purchase and transferring ownership.

Leave the date off the bill of sale if you're concerned. You will still need the UVIP - order it online or you might be able to get it at the MOT when you go to transfer title.

If you're planning to do everything in one trip, make sure you have:

Old ownership with seller's signature on it and your info filled in
Used Vehicle Info Package
Bill of sale showing whatever you paid for the bike (don't forget you pay tax on this amount)
Insurance papers showing the bike is insured
Safety certificate

With this info and a handful of money, you'll get the new ownership, plates and your sticker for the year pro-rated to your next birthday.

If you go without the safety, you can buy a 10 day temp permit to allow you to ride the bike on the street. Still need everything else. The idea is to let you get it ready for safety and take it to where you want to get it certified. Means 2 trips though.

chimbo said:
thanks so much, very helpful.

You can also transfer the title of the bike to your name without ins., safety, etc. It will be a "Non-plated" title. You'll pay the tax and transfer. I've run into a few sellers who want it out of their name right away. There may be situations when you might want the transfer done right away for your own peace of mind too.

It's no biggie, but it means 2 trips to the DMV as well!

Drewski said:
You can also transfer the title of the bike to your name without ins., safety, etc. It will be a "Non-plated" title. You'll pay the tax and transfer. I've run into a few sellers who want it out of their name right away. There may be situations when you might want the transfer done right away for your own peace of mind too.

It's no biggie, but it means 2 trips to the DMV as well!

this sounds a little more like what i need. how do i do this?

It depends how nit-picky your lovely ministry folk are. At the office I go to, they're pretty relaxed about things as long as you don't seem like you're actually trying to get away with anything. I had to transfer a bike into my name that I had for 5 months so that I could sign the title over to my uncle and I just walked in with the ownership and my license, no bill of sale, and asked them to transfer it into my name with an unfit title. They didn't have a problem with it at all, except when they asked how much I paid and I went, "uhhhhh $200..." :-\

Back
Top Bottom