YZF750/1000R - The Fly 5

Sonreir said:
Carbon fiber always finds a way to push the budget limits...

I've been talking with a guy in the UK who will likely be shipping me his carbon fiber rear hugger.

Sonreir said:
Please post pics. Ernie's thread isn't what it once was...

He is sending pics tomorrow. I'll post it up if I get it. His is used but in supposedly nice shape. I can find new ones as well so I'll wait and see.

Mmmm....carbon fiber....
yzfCFhugger.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Kelly, would you be interested in a set of NOS 94 FZR1000 fairing lowers?

Time to fire this thread up again. I'm taking one of my parts bikes and attempting to get it running. I want a track bike. I took my ZRX to the local track this past weekend and it lit up my brain like a Christmas tree. A YZF would be better at the track and I have a few so ..... (Clem predicted this....lol)

I brought this back from the boonies of New Mexico on a snowy day at Bluewater lake a few years ago. It's the one I call the brown weirdo bike or #4. It's in rough shape but the motor looks more likely to be a runner than the others. It's been "tinkered" with by the PO's (dad and son) so I've been un-tinkering what they did and doing some cleanup. They had messed with the harness, used the front brake master as a clutch master, lamp cord with no fuse for the fuel pump, etc.... I'm pretty sure they had a Ronco home piercing kit and practiced on each other by the looks too. They were nice folks, as they kept telling me, which was odd but should not have been tinkering with motorcycles. Luckily I have plenty of spare parts and a set of race fairings from Airtech.
yzf4_cleanup.jpg

Last edited:
Left to right, my survivor 94', the 94' brown weirdo bike and the 97' parts bike (with a cracked neck). I wanted to fire up the 97' as it only had 4100 miles on it when somebody ran it into something but the intakes look too crusty from wherever it sat. My guess is water got in the heads, dammit. The brown bike is a good roller and had about 16k on it's odometer. Still more to do before I can try to fire it up but I'm hoping like hell it's a runner. [edit] I call it the brown (weirdo) bike because the PO's had used an adobe colored latex house paint on the bodywork.
3yzfs.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in.....again. The track is addictive. I've been considering selling my RD350 to buy a small bore dedicated track bike. I'd rather focus on coner speed and consistency from lap to lap vs having a screaming 600cc trying to destroy me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

clem said:
I'm in.....again. The track is addictive. I've been considering selling my RD350 to buy a small bore dedicated track bike. I'd rather focus on coner speed and consistency from lap to lap vs having a screaming 600cc trying to destroy me.

My goal is skills improvement too but I want to do it on a screaming 750 that is trying to destroy me. Man vs Beast.

You would rather do it on a 1000cc bike that revs almost as high? I can respect that approach.

My reflexes are not good enough to arrive at corners at warp speed anymore. That's where a CB160 comes in handy. Lots of time to think and meditate and contemplate the next corner which will arrive any minute now. :)

The only suggestion I would make is to stock up on consumables like bars and levers and footpegs and get case covers/savers because gravity will kick in at the most inconvenient times. Having a spares kit, allows you to kick it straight, replace necessary parts and get back to the fun.

teazer said:
You would rather do it on a 1000cc bike that revs almost as high? I can respect that approach.
The track was setup for their short course so I literally ran the whole track in only 2nd gear. The ZRX is easy like that with wide a torque range but it also a bit less nimble than I'd like. It's my baby, I've owned it since it came off the showroom floor and I know how I'll feel if I drop it.

teazer said:
My reflexes are not good enough to arrive at corners at warp speed anymore. That's where a CB160 comes in handy. Lots of time to think and meditate and contemplate the next corner which will arrive any minute now. :)

Lol. I am not fast. I'm faster than a CB160 but probably only in the straights....

teazer said:
The only suggestion I would make is to stock up on consumables like bars and levers and footpegs and get case covers/savers because gravity will kick in at the most inconvenient times. Having a spares kit, allows you to kick it straight, replace necessary parts and get back to the fun.

Yep, I've got enough for a slide or two and then some. I'm a fan of the nylon bobbin style frame, wheel and swingarm sliders. I'll order up a load of stuff once I see if this engine is a go. I've ordered the minimum amount of stuff necessary so far but I'm waiting on a few small consumables like o-rings and exhaust gaskets. This bike seems to have been a CA model. The thermostat manifold is different on this one vs. the others. The stock exhaust collector is slightly different too.

Does it still have the EXUP system in place? IIRC that was supposed to help low to mid range but reportedly lost some top end. If it's still there might be good for that short track.

teazer said:
Does it still have the EXUP system in place? IIRC that was supposed to help low to mid range but reportedly lost some top end. If it's still there might be good for that short track.

Yep, EXUP is staying. It will be an essentially stock bike for now. Our track has a longer setup that they alternate, next month is the larger course. I may still end up on the ZRX for this next one if I can make it.

Did you buy leathers? I've been eyeing up a set of RST. Their kangaroo hide gloves feel great and are set at a really good price.

clem said:
Did you buy leathers? I've been eyeing up a set of RST. Their kangaroo hide gloves feel great and are set at a really good price.

Not yet but I'm watching ebay. The club out here has stuff to lend until I find a set. I'll take a look at RST.

That's what I've been doing also instead it's rentals. RST is a UK brand and the track day coordinator here sells it. He also wears it too so that says a lot.
I have a CB160 for sale if either of you need one.

Back
Top Bottom