'80 CB400T - Taka

Tuner Automotive said:
Nice . I have always liked the Hawks ! Coming along just like I would ahve done it . Bars and bar end mirrors as well.

Thanks! Waiting on the wife to get home so I can break in the new brakes. No more spongy lever!!!

I grabbed them from DCC. They have quick shipping and great customer service, I try to use them whenever I need something.

calebacm said:
What EBC Brake rotor is that? I have a '78 Hawk TII and I'm going to need new brake parts soon.

http://www.bikebandit.com/ebc-pro-lite-brake-rotor?m=151810

Here you go. Check and make sure it fits, I looked up the '78 Hawk TII and it didn't list the rotor.

Front brake is 5000 times better than before! Bad news is the left exhaust silencer has cracked all the way through and is hanging by the mount. Getting ready to order the Motad 2-1 system.
http://www.davidsilverspares.com/CB400T-1980-HAWK-USA/part_175357/

Hoping to get some more work done this weekend but not sure if I will be able to pickup the chain tool on Friday or not.

Motad exhaust is en route, the left side silencer has detached from the collector after the join... Need to pb blaster the old exhaust studs more regularly so that hopefully they will thread out of the head when I go to detach the old unit.

Well Honda snuck one over on me... I ordered the gambit of 10mm socket allen bolts to replace the current hardware and shortly found out that Honda didn't use the standard thread pitch. Only place I have found that carries 10mm x 1.25 wants $7 a bolt.

Exhaust is here minus the mounting hardware, have an email out to DSS to find out what happened...

Update: this dummy put them next to my helmet on top of the filing cabinet... Found when I went to leave for the gym.

HandMeDownHawk said:
Well Honda snuck one over on me... I ordered the gambit of 10mm socket allen bolts to replace the current hardware and shortly found out that Honda didn't use the standard thread pitch. Only place I have found that carries 10mm x 1.25 wants $7 a bolt.

Did you look here?

www.stainlesscycle.com

Flugtechnik said:
Did you look here?

www.stainlesscycle.com

That is where I order all my hardware from. I need to look better to see if he has 10mm w/ 1.25 pitch. I ordered the 10mm 1.5 pitch without knowing.

I found a place that has stainless 10mm 1.25 pitch! Worked on getting the Motad exhaust installed last night and it is turning into a 3 person job it seems. I have the left collector attached but the right is giving me grief.

I was pleasantly surprised that 3 of the old exhaust studs threaded right out, no double nut required. One did take the double nut but it came out without issue.

Exhaust is on!!! Center stand is off! Have a couple snaps and a video of it running.
http://youtu.be/Atty01XwGJU

Geez, that makes the bike sound completely different. I had a 400T a few years back and it certainly never sounded anything like that. :) Looks great too. Idle seems pretty high though.

HerrDeacon said:
Geez, that makes the bike sound completely different. I had a 400T a few years back and it certainly never sounded anything like that. :) Looks great too. Idle seems pretty high though.

Had it choked to get it to start. Once it was warm it was idling at 12-1300. Thanks for the compliments as well!

Well, plans fell through to replace the sprockets and the chain. I wasn't able to borrow my friend's chain rivet tool. I have been contemplating a way to hang passenger pegs rather than using the current location. I have seen sportbikes with a similar setup and then I could move the controls back a bit. Just something I am mulling over. I need to come up with a permanent mount for the exhaust as well, the supplied bracket didn't want to line up and the stock one I used is only attached with one bolt. Thinking something to where I can use both bolts to attach and possibly pivot to allow for adjustment on where the silencer hangs.

Sprockets and chain have been replaced, new gauge with all needed functions is ordered. Hopefully will be scoring an additional seat when I get home off the good ole ebay.

I ended up going with the SP-2 from Dan-Moto, I decided I would rather have the classic round look.

So I finally got the Danmoto installed, wired except for the tach signal, had to use the old hacksaw and file method to compose some bracketry. Clutch springs have been replaced as well and the slip in the clutch is gone. Scored a second seat and swapped it on to use until I get around to recovering the original. I will get some pics up as soon as the weather clears, I finished after dark and I work outside on the bike.

Everything is installed and the new gauge is working, still need to run the tach wire.

Should I raise the headlight??? I feel like too much gap between gauge and the light. That or I could make a spacer to drop the gauge down.

Last one is the bracket I made to hold the Hall sensor.

Working on making a mini cafe fairing ala Triumph Thruxton. Plan is to make it out of carbon fiber with aramid reinforcements at the mounting points.
Going to move the headlight up and see how that looks as well. (See below)
Going to try the induction method for signalling the tach and if that doesn't work a splice is the next option. (This didn't work... Haven't tried a splice yet.)

Back
Top Bottom