Wife Bike - CB100

TurdFurguson

Weird Indy Kid
DTT BOTM WINNER
Well, those that went to Barber saw that I bought a CB100 in pretty rough shape. Wife has been flip flopping on getting a motorcycle for awhile but always backs out when I get serious about it. For $100 I decided i'de test my luck and see what happens.

The plan is to Cafe it out, and give her something nice. At this point she doesn't know its for her so hopefully I can get the position correct without having her sit on it. Going through the barber museum there was so much inspiration around that I should have 50-60 good ideas for body/paint/etc to get it moving along. The plan at this point is to get it to fire and start then tare the fucker completely apart and go nuts. I'm going to try to do a better job at documentation on this one since its going to be my first 'crazy' build.

Here's the pic of the bute at the DTT swap area.

WP_000450.jpg

Stock or superbike bars will be the most comfortable for her....unless she is a midget....
Dont try and stick her on something she will hate.
Paint it and leave the rest stock. let her figure out whats comfortable

surffly said:
Stock or superbike bars will be the most comfortable for her....unless she is a midget....
Dont try and stick her on something she will hate.
Paint it and leave the rest stock. let her figure out whats comfortable

I had planned to run some superbike bars to start, and a cafe race seat. She's not a midget but she is small. Can just touch with her tip toes on my 350. I had wanted to put the rearset brackets on as well just so it can all be together for paint/powder but your right I should probably just wait until she sits on the seat/bars and see what she needs/if she needs.

Can't wait to work on this thing and see how it unfolds! She wasn't pissed when you told her as I was opening the trailer, so that's a good sign!

Finally got a 6v batter today so I started messing around with the bike.

First things first, has anyone ever changed the handle bars on a 100? or on an internal throttle? Im assuming its going to be easiest to just go with an entirly different throttle but looking around im not 100% sure what I should end up with. Here is what the bars look like on the 100.

WP_000481.jpg

I really dont have a way to cut a slot that precise in a set of bars. In the part ive always just used a grinder for holes for the wires and thats just not going to cut it.

Second Issue I found is that the ignition switch was bad. Power was going in and not going out. Checked for continuity and it wasn't there. Decided I would take it apart to see what could be wrong.. it cant be that complicated... Well its not but a spring shot across my garage so its not going back together. I did fix the issue however.. the contacts just had gew all over then and it couldn't make a connection. I jumped the switch and all the lights came on. I flicked from high to low a few times (nothing happened) and then I blew a fuse so ive got a short somewhere. Here is what the inside of a switch looks like if anyone cares.

WP_000484.jpg

Signed up!

Dime City sells ignition switches for like $10 or something. And I would go with different bars with a normal throttle housing personally.

Does the cb350 stator swap work on the cb100? If so, it would convert it to 12v. Just need a new coil.

From what I have heard, the 350 stator is a direct swap for the 100. Someone chime in here if I am wrong.

I looked at the dime city ignition, the issue with it is that its a 4 wire 3 position switch and the 100 is only wires for 2 wires 2 position. It seriously just completes the circuit.

I know nothing about swapping from 6v to 12v, this if the first 6v anything ive ever screwed with. wouldn't I need a different coil, and rectifier as well as the stator? I have a 71 cb350 sitting right next to the 100. I could see if it would fit on there but the 350 but its all original in really nice shape so I dont want to start ripping stuff off of it.

As for the throttle, im assuming it should just be able to swap it out with any old single cable throttle assym right? My only concern is getting the correct cable. http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-handlebar-parts-chrome-single-cable-aluminum-throttle-assembly-28-0033.html

You could just jump our leave out a couple wires on the ignition switch. Look at the writing diagram for a 350 and a 100 to spot the differences.

Thats what I forgot: the rectifier. Might want to add a regulator if it doesn't have one as well. Only reason I brought it up is because it's easier to find 12v bulbs and stuff- plus they do tend to be brighter.

As far as the ignition switch goes, for now just replace it with a toggle switch, or while you are working on it just twist the two wires together.

Was doing some research this morning on the 12v conversion. I believe that the 100 and the 125 are the same bike for the most part.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/CB125/message/3271

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=26871.10

http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2011/2/22/deus-cb100-the-prospect.html

That second thread scares me a little, I dont really want to mess with putting resisters all over the place (nor do I feel i'm qualified to do so).

However, it looks like at a min I should get the following parts

stator - cb350 (need to test fitment)
rectifier - cb350, some posts mention going with something newer, maybe aftermarket
coil - not sure about this one
bulbs
blinker relay

looking good man! I agree that the 12v swap would be the way to go.

Is Ash still in the dark about this? Melissa keep asking me if she knows yet.

only thing that you really gain with the 12V swap is use of 12v bulbs....i never bothered
what bars are you planing on running?
controls are already very small on the 100, some didnt even have a kill switch on the top and look great polished. might not be worth the time and money to swap

Yeah she's still in the dark. She wont know its for her until Christmas when I give it to her as a present. That is also then my deadline to have it running like a champ.. though she wont be able to ride it for about 4 months after that.

My reasoning behind going 12v is 2 fold. 1 it allows for a brighter headlight and being this is for my wife I want her to be able to see. second is because running 12v cuts the required draw through your wiring by half. When you start to get corrosion on connectors it makes a 6v bike's electrical run even harder. For now, I do believe that im going to go ahead and put it together as 6v and then once its all running swap it over to 12. I want to make sure that I dont introduce issues by the conversion when I dont even know what works.

Ok, i skimmed your thread. The internal throttle is neat but you need to carve that slot into whatever bars you are going to use. I just did it to a set of clipons for my bike using a mill. The internal throttle does not work as well as a normal one but if you decide not to use it i could use the housing.

Dont go with low bars. I built my second 125 for my wife and it has clip ons. She likes higher bars so i get to ride it mostly and now i have to build a 3rd bike with higher bars for her. Win win. Surffy hates clipons and clubmans on these bike, I like em but they are not comfortable for long rides.

Rearsets are a pain to mount on these bikes there are a few ways to do it but i have not found it necessary yet. Check out these guys they have built a few with rearsets and should give a little inspiration.
http://thekatros.blogspot.com/

As for 12 volts. I have done it and its not that hard. My biggest issue was finding a CB350 regulator that worked. Next time im going to use a reg/rec from oregon motorcycle parts just because i know it will be functioning.
VRRPM2-HCB.JPG

I did not change out my coils for 12v ones, i am running reistors on them and the bike has been running and charging great. The only reason i did it was so i could run different blinkers on the bike.

My cafe racer 125 is almost done, im just waiting on custom cables to show up from motion pro.

ffjmore

I had not seen that build before, turned out really nice and is similar to the direction that I want to go with mine. Im either going to go with superbike bars or drag bars. I wouldn't put her through clipons or clubmans, i'll save that pain for me.

I didn't see anyplace in your thread where you talk about the reistors you use before the coil. How did you determine what you needed there? Ive stayed away from electrical work in the past (rebuilding cars) so im still figuring out all the tricks (and sometimes the basics)

Here is a quote from the document i loosely used to do my conversion.

Ignition Resistors
The original 6V system uses an ignition coil that
has 1.8 Ohm resistance. This limits the current
through the ignition to approximately 3.3 Amp.
Doubling the voltage to 12V would double the
current. Now, this might at first seem like a good
idea: a very hot spark would result. But the downside
of it is twofold: the ignition points would
have sharply accelerated wear (probably last only
25% as long as the old system), and the current
drain from the system will be excessive and the
new alternator probably could not supply it along
with an H-4 headlamp (one of the primary goals
of the project). As a result, it is necessary to add
resistance to the ignition circuit to keep the ignition
current the same as before. Since the voltage
is being doubled, keeping the ignition current the
same requires approximately doubling the resistance. In this case nearly ideal resistors can be purchased
from RadioShack. Their part number is: 271-131. Two one ohm resistors come in the package and you
use both of them. The cost is $2.

pm me you email and ill send you the whole PDF

JSJamboree said:
She wont know its for her until Christmas when I give it to her as a present.

If I were you I'd make sure I had another gift made of 14K gold and precious stones too. 8)

Back
Top Bottom