Nostaligic build, 71ish Rupp Black Widow, now race build

TurdFurguson

Weird Indy Kid
DTT BOTM WINNER
Well, I only had 3 bikes in my garage, and while painting my 100 this weekend I got a little nostalgic with an old 71 Rupp Blackwidow mini-bike I use to tear around on. Its been sitting for about 10 years when I blew out a bearing and wouldn't start. Decided to nab it from the parents house and bring it home for some tender love. Going to see about getting this bad ass mini-bike back in the dirt. Sorry if I offend anyone by having a build thread for this bike, but i figured since it had more CCs than my CB100 cafe bike that someone might get a kick out of it. Hopefully I wont have as much into it as the CB100, but if thats what it takes.. so be it.

WP_000250.jpg

WP_000254.jpg

Re: Nostaligic build, 71ish Ruff Black Widow resto

Cool scoot Jordan! What size are those tires?

Re: Nostaligic build, 71ish Ruff Black Widow resto

Brother I think it is awesome that you are restoring your old mini bike and that you started a build thread for it, man I wish I had the old mini bike that me and my Brother used to have when we were children as I would love to restore it as well!

Re: Nostaligic build, 71ish Rupp Black Widow resto

Well, been working on this guy for while.. Should have taken pics of the process but I didn't...

Anyways, after a bunch of research I found out the motor isn't what normally came on them, and I cant find any information about the B&S motor thats on it. Cleaned out the carbs but wasn't able to find a rebuild kit so hopefully the seals etc hold up. Got it all stripped down, cleaned it up and painted it, putt back together now. Decided to replace as little as possible and not do a full resto but instead just get it running and 'nice'.

Here you can see the reason of its final death. Was eating high speed bearings beacuse the shaft was so screwed up it was just bouncing around in them.

IMG_20130214162122.jpg

Here you can see the new one that was made for me to replace it

IMG_20130214162100.jpg

Here it is in its current state.. Dont plan to paint the wheels just going to leave them as I plan to get them dirty anyways in the mud. Trying to bid on some shocks for it as I found out one of mine had about a 10dev bend where we had just stressed it to much and the other fell apart when I took it off.. so they were shot. Table was a little messy

IMG_20130214162037.jpg

Jordan, you said carbs (plural). Is there 2?

I have a couple smaller carbs around, any idea if you can retro-fit something?

Nostaligic build, 71ish Rupp Black Widow resto

I think making things plural is a force of habit. There is a singular carb on this guy. I'm going to see how it works when I get it together, not sure about retrofitting with how it's setup (ill take a pic of this weird feat of engineering tomorrow and show you. I'm sure I could take a pic and call jackssmallengines and they could figure it out. Well see how it goes and cross that path if necessary.

Here is the carb thats on it. there arnt any markings anywhere on it and I havent seen another like it on ebay or anything to find information. Only know its on a B&S.. I found some kits that 'looked' like the seals on mine, but were always for 11hp motors.. this is 3.5hp.

Attachments

• IMG_20130215141237.jpg
    IMG_20130215141237.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,306

The carb may also be fitted to lawn mowers (3.5 bhp) !!!!

So it's been awhile since I posted on this. Last I was working on it I got the frame all pretty and put it all together but couldn't get it running. I quickly lost interest and it went back in the barn. The hoodcats have started getting into minibikes with Tifuns CT70 spurring us on so I decided to start back on this.

First I changed out the coil on the Briggs, cleaned out the carbs again, and made sure everything was straightened out with the motor and still nothing. Got tired of fucking with it and went to HF and bought a 6.5 hp predator motor.

First things first, gas tank, intake, and exhaust had to be removed to get it into the frame. No biggie. However that means I needed aftermarket exhaust, intake. Ended up getting a intake, diy exhaust kit from NRRacing. Came with bigger jets. Also removed the governor, but everyone says the stock flywheel will Grenade, so a new billet flywheel was purchased. Luckily, with a 1/4" spacer, the stock clutch setup works so I didn't have to worry about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442496033.559422.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442496033.559422.jpg
    490.4 KB · Views: 459
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442496046.981389.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442496046.981389.jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 481
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442496055.723047.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442496055.723047.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 549

With all the rest of the mods, the valves tend to start floating, so upgrading the valve springs is a must. Being impatient like I am, I tried to do it with the head on and in the bike. Next thing I know a keeper fell down the motor so I had to start taking it apart till I found it. I did find it, and now the head is back on. There is going to be way to much power for this bike. Hopefully it doesn't just turn the frame into spaghetti

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442496200.208936.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442496200.208936.jpg
    612.2 KB · Views: 446

Here is a better shot of the motor in the frame.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442496266.575198.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442496266.575198.jpg
    663.2 KB · Views: 411
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442496279.231877.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442496279.231877.jpg
    637.7 KB · Views: 406
That is wicked. We need vids when you first fire it up and rip around on it...just in case there's some comedy gold to be had. With all of these "little" bike builds I'm getting the bug to build something now too...

Great work so far! Bummer about the keeper falling in :( glad you got it sorted.

These are sure popping up on here =) I got one going (well it all started with a black widow anyways) and ridesolo has a 70 Rupp Enduro going too! I'm liking this.

hurco550 said:
These are sure popping up on here =) I got one going (well it all started with a black widow anyways) and ridesolo has a 70 Rupp Enduro going too! I'm liking this.

I started this thread three years ago. I like to think I am way ahead of the curve

JSJamboree said:
I started this thread three years ago. I like to think I am way ahead of the curve

Haha yeah I caught that after I made that post. Well then, I'm glad your back on the project =) I'm excited to see it done

You guys are going to make the campers happy at Thaw, I can see it now. Bring it on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

deviant said:
You guys are going to make the campers happy at Thaw, I can see it now. Bring it on.

Would be awesome to find some dirt track or field we have permission to rip around in next year. Would like to be able to have some fun without us all getting arrested :)

Yep... it's about time for the pit bike thing to come around again guess I should drag one out and start a thread :eek:

Back
Top Bottom