CB350 Saving Face Restro

TurdFurguson

Weird Indy Kid
DTT BOTM WINNER
Hopefully this wont be to long of a build thread. I picked up this 1971 CB350 from my father in law about a year ago for 400. Im the 3rd owner and has never really been ridden hard. It has been sitting since 1978 in the back of a garage with fuel in it. When I sat on it i blew one of the shocks out and oil went everywhere so its going to need new ones. Plan is to get the carbs cleaned out and functional again, get some new rear shocks, likely rebuild the front shocks, put new points in it, clean the shit out of it, put some lower tracker style bars on it and ride the piss out of it. I want to keep this build very budget oriented so I can put all of my money into my RD project. Original plan was to turn it into a full fairing race style bike, but decided to get a faster bike for that and now this one is just going to be a nice daily bike. Hope to have this all ready for the thaw this spring.

Here are some pics before I start into it.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 1,135
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 1,145
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 1,165
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,156
Yes! Get some dual sport tires and take that thing off the pavement like it was meant to be ridden.

END OF LINE

It's refreshing to see someone take a relatively intact bike and just fix it up instead of tearing it to pieces and turning into some sort of monstrosity.

It looks more like a 1970 CL350, paint on tank, high pipes and seat hinge at the rear make it more look a 1970 CL than a CB.

buckaroo said:
It looks more like a 1970 CL350, paint on tank, high pipes and seat hinge at the rear make it more look a 1970 CL than a CB.

Its a CB350 I have the vinplate and title to prove it. The tank is off a CB, the CLs were much more rounded and were not straight on the frame like this. I dont really see a difference in the seats between the two, other than how it looks with the offset CL tank. The front forks have the CB shiny covers that match the bike where the CLs had rubber boots. The pipes are obviously CL pipes, but the frame does have all of the factory holes and bolts for the pipes. Wouldn't have thought that they would have done that but maybe they did.

Im under the impression that the original owner (prior to my father-in-law) put the high pipes on the CB. I plan to leave them on if I can get a couple of issue straighted out

JSJamboree said:
Its a CB350 I have the vinplate and title to prove it. The tank is off a CB, the CLs were much more rounded and were not straight on the frame like this. I dont really see a difference in the seats between the two, other than how it looks with the offset CL tank. The front forks have the CB shiny covers that match the bike where the CLs had rubber boots. The pipes are obviously CL pipes, but the frame does have all of the factory holes and bolts for the pipes. Wouldn't have thought that they would have done that but maybe they did.

Im under the impression that the original owner (prior to my father-in-law) put the high pipes on the CB. I plan to leave them on if I can get a couple of issue straighted out

If you don't keep the high pipes, I will take them.

Pics of my carbs for reference. Need new ones and I mangled these trying to get them apart. Slides and fused even after a 24 hour soak in carb cleaner.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361542121.672487.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361542121.672487.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 955
Well, I pretty much sucked at documenting anything.. but the bike is pretty much at the point where I wanted it.

IMG_20130508102558.jpg

Im still having a few issues with fueling, while highway driving its not getting fuel down to the carbs fast enough. Im not sure if its an issue of the inline fuel filters, with the screen on the petcock bowl or what. Need to take one out and see if it fixes the issue and if not try the other.

Back
Top Bottom