MT250 Budget Build

TurdFurguson

Weird Indy Kid
DTT BOTM WINNER
Picked up a mostly complete MT250 about a year ago and its been sitting since. With the RD mostly complete these days I think its finally time to get this thing road worthy. Originally I wanted to do a CR top end swap but everything starting adding up to way to much money, so my plan is to try and keep it budget friendly. From what I can tell at some point the motor blew a piston as its pretty knarley up top, but i drained royal purple out of the cases that looked to be in good shape so im hoping it was taken care of. The carb was also in really good condition, almost looked new. Already picked up a box of parts someone was getting rid of that has some pieces I needed. This will likely become a commuter bike and i'll sell the VFR as Im ready to get the Vtec out of my life.

Goal is to have it road worthy by the first of May for the Kentucky Dakar. Might be trying to call in a favor or two from MrE

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 10.50.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 10.50.01 AM.png
    768.6 KB · Views: 1,683
Got the cases split to see what needed work inside. Piston exploded so it's been sitting a couple years with no piston, figured seals would be shot at the least. Inside it looks like the two small countershaft bearings need replaced and one of the crank bearings needs replaced. Crank itself seems to be in pretty decent shape, gross but minimal slop and the lower bearing seems nice. Transmission seemed to be about perfect.

Now time to go hunting for bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_3248.JPG
    IMG_3248.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 455
  • IMG_3249.JPG
    IMG_3249.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 435
  • IMG_3250.JPG
    IMG_3250.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 448
pull them all out and take them to the local bearing place, you'll save a lot of $$ or get the measurements and do the same.

Maritime said:
pull them all out and take them to the local bearing place, you'll save a lot of $$ or get the measurements and do the same.

I went through this with another bike, we never were able to find a bearing shop around the city. I'll jump on a local forum and check again though, looking to save lots of $$$ for sure

Shit, give me the sizes and I'll go see my local guys, priced in CAN you get 35% off and if a good deal I'll drive them across to Maine and mail them to you.

Try the bearings canada website
You can usually get free shipping with the coupon code "freeship"
It was about 20$ a bearing for my tc185 crank bearing.

Jordan is state side so shipping wouldn't be free for him. I just bought 2 6202SRS bearings from the local shop and they were 9.99 CAD each. that's after tax 8.61 USD. they would have been 3X that from a bike parts place. Using them to replace the cam bushings in the Virago so they don't size again. PM me the details. I'll get you prices and I don't mind taking them to Merica to ship. I have to go pick up some stuff I ordered anyway.

Grabbed the crank bearing from the local shop, actually wasn't any cheeper than buying Honda online but I had already driven all the way to the shop so I did it anyways. Couldn't pass up the brand (immature and inappropriate comment I know). They couldn't even order in the countershaft bearing, super special secret Honda size so I'll have to nab that online. Need to get the case all cleaned up this weekend anyways so it'll be next week before I look to start putting the bottom end back together. Gotta order seals too.

Attachments

• IMG_3262.JPG
    IMG_3262.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 404
German bearing brand even though made in Korea, they are good quality, I have 2 of the same brand for the Virago. Used dozens in wheels over the last few years. I wasn't able to find the other one either any cheaper than the one you found at Partzilla, seems the only source is Honda.

Tifun said:
Will it be Thaw ready?

Thats my plan, not sure why it wouldn't be im not doing much other than getting it in proper shape for some dakar

JSJamboree said:
Thats my plan, not sure why it wouldn't be im not doing much other than getting it in proper shape for some dekar
Dekar?

Anyone know where this guy goes? I found it in the stator area, looks to be broken in 1/2 so some sort of washer. I looked at a microfiche of that side but didn't see anything.

Attachments

• IMG_3352.JPG
    IMG_3352.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 378
Back
Top Bottom