TriBSA classic racer

Finally got around to making a start on the pipes, was going for sweptbacks but couldn't find any way to tuck them in far enough and leave room for the brake pedal to work so in the end I chopped up the existing ones and made these.
Only done one so far and a lot of finishing yet but happy enough with them and theres even room to fit a sidestand...

Attachments

• newex01.jpg
    newex01.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 349
  • newex02.jpg
    newex02.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 327
  • newex03.jpg
    newex03.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 331
First off awesome bike, my fav on here at the moment :) I liked the high level pipes myself and would have likely tried to find a solution to keep them, but as Teazer says it's your bike so you do what you like ;) That video is great ( i would give my left nut to do that lap on that bike) and the bike is obviously pretty well sorted. Again, me personally I would be using that bike to beat up on modern bikes at track days and join a vintage racing club (at least every one is going in hte same direction on the track :)).

By switching back to the shorter shocks it will change the handling a bit, not sure if it will be worse or better though! Is Quaife still in Tonbridge?

Keep posting, I look forward to more progress!

Hi John, yes I'd have kept them too if I could but just couldn't see any way to do it really....in a couple of places the fuel lines are almost melted thru....and I'd have been worrying about it all the time if I'd left it that way!
Happy with the way they look....and fit... now and was going to finish them today but then ran out of gas so started looking at the seat instead....
Had bought a replica racing seat but it wasn't quite the way I wanted it so started on making one instead, its looking a bit big in this pic but is actually about right I think!
And yes, as you say, its been pretty well sorted....the guy who owned it and his son raced it for 51 years between them so thinking they knew way more than me and for now at least will stick with the shocks as they are!!
Quaife are in Gillingham now btw....

Attachments

• racegoldieseat01.jpg
    racegoldieseat01.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 333
Pipes almost finished and the seat getting there so a couple more pics....

Attachments

• side01.jpg
    side01.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 324
  • side04.jpg
    side04.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 355
Its been a while since I posted here but there hasn't been much to say til now, bike had been running fine up until last week when the oil tank started leaking at a trackday.....
No real way I could see to repair it since its brazed into the frame so seemed like a good excuse to pull everything apart again!
I've had an original GS ali oil tank sitting about for a while so first job was to make up a bracket, clean and paint the frame and fit that....

Attachments

• oiltank.jpg
    oiltank.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 985
Looking good. Chopped monoblocks or a pair of Amal GP cabs and matchbox would work on a Pre unit T100/GP style manifold, but you already did the pipes.....

Not planning on doing any work on the motor this time apart from a general clean up....but have a few things I do want to improve, one being motor/box alignment, so have spent the last couple of days fiddling about with spacers trying to get it better ....had noticed the belt was moving side to side on the clutch drum a bit and guess that was caused by them being not quite parallel....btw any ideas on how tight the belt should actually be?
Also made a discovery, it has a 5 speed box and no kickstart and it looked like the mainshaft didn't have any splines on it so thought I couldn't fit one but it turned out there was a thin spacer tube over them.....pulled it off, took the ratchet and gears from an old box....and now have a kickstart!!

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 337
On my pre-unit Triumphs I use adjusters on both sides to get the trans adjusted properly. It's still a poor answer but it stopped the box from moving. I can't remember if I did the same on my 350 Goldie - too long ago to remember every detail of every bike.

Good idea....had never thought of that!! I think that because the rear engine plates are ali and the front ones quite thin steel and the spacers weren't quite right size as you tighten the bolts the engine was being twisted a little in the frame.....have now set it all up square and made spacers exactly the right length.....should now be ok...or at least better! Spent a few hours today checking/cleaning the wheels and brakes and fitting new stainless spindles....

Attachments

• rw.jpg
    rw.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 283
  • fw.jpg
    fw.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 286
Had been thinking I'd like to try a full fairing so now seemed like a good time.....
Widened an old one I had spare (off a G50 I think), made up some brackets and tried it out.....

Attachments

• fairing.jpg
    fairing.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 288
  • brkts.jpg
    brkts.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 1,174
  • fairing02.jpg
    fairing02.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 288
Here you go.....

Attachments

• fairing03.jpg
    fairing03.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 748
  • fairing04.jpg
    fairing04.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 293
Thanks......hope to get it painted soon, planning on one half the fairing silver and other half black....just can't decide which way round!!
Took the seat in today to be covered by a pro....tried to do it myself but looked really bad.....once its back that should be it

Decided on black for the top half and the lower in silver....all done. Just waiting for seat back now and a couple of bits for the engine....

Attachments

• paint.jpg
    paint.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 289
Back
Top Bottom