1971 CL 350 Clean up

interceptor

Coast to Coast
I acquired a 1971 CL 350 not to long ago to clean up and sell. I got it running by cleaning the carbs and adding a new battery. Points looked brand new, and it looked like it had new oil. All lights work, controls works, chrome is in excellent condition and bike is complete. I made notes of what needs attention and I am now in the process of tearing it apart, fixing whats wrong, cleaning/painting everything and putting it back together. This is what I started with:
360-2_zps49ab65d4.jpg

It really is in excellent shape, but does need some attention. More pics of the clean up coming soon.

Not sure where my picture went, but here it is again.
I went to the Secretary of State here in Michigan to get a title for the CL. I bought it with no title, only a bill of sale. I have done it before, and never really had any problems getting a title for such an old machine. Well, they changed things a little here. Shouldn't really buy anything without a title any more. So, after exhausting all my options and efforts, I just decided to buy a frame with a title. I called a couple of friends, and finally I found a buddy who had a CL sitting in his shed that he was taking parts off of for another project that is now done. So, I now have a titled frame. What a pain in the ass. I asked why they didn't want my tax money that I was going to be spending on this thing. She looked at me and said, it's only like $12. And then I laid into her about how it would bring taxes to the state through gasoline, parts, service, registration, tabs, plates, ect. Seriously, they are losing out on a lot of money. Oh well. So now I am swapping over all the parts. It's actually a good thing, because now I can clean and paint everything to make it look like a nice clean stock vintage motorcycle. Here's where I am now:

Started with this:
360-2_zps49ab65d4.jpg

Tearing it down:
350-1_zpse75e73d5.jpg

350-2_zpsae828ead.jpg

I'm going to leave the engine in the frame and clean it, replace some seals and then paint it with some silver paint. Donor frame is already painted, and I have
begun transferring over what I can for now. Hopefully I'll have it done by the end of next week.

interceptor said:
I asked why they didn't want my tax money that I was going to be spending on this thing. She looked at me and said, it's only like $12. And then I laid into her about how it would bring taxes to the state through gasoline, parts, service, registration, tabs, plates, ect. Seriously, they are losing out on a lot of money. Oh well.

I have had the same "conversation" with the title office here in Ohio. Seems like they do everything they can to keep these old machines off of the road. They really don't look at the money outside of the tax for title. Bummer to hear that about Michigan though. I was getting ready to "sell" a gt250 to a buddy up there so he could title it and "sell" it back to me.. Guess that plan is foiled too... Anyways, the bike looks nice and I am glad that your getting it back on the road. Bummer you have to go through so much work to get it there...

Yes, it sucks. But I really do feel thesebikes need to get back on the road. So I`ll do everything I can to make that happen. Plus I get to tear apart a whole bike, clean everything and make it look good, which is theraputic for me in some weird way.

My 76 came with every piece of paper ever generated on it. The original plate too. Its considered an antique by Washington State motor code. Not only do I never have to pay another penny for any sort of licensing. To and from events, I dont have to wear a bucket. Seems once its old enough you only have to obey the laws that were in effect when it was made. Like the helmet law (1986).
If I ever was that daring.....

My 71 CL and 68 CB dont have anything. It takes three years and an inspection to get one titled

That bike is mighty purdy. Sure wish mine looked half that good

It's pretty sweet you don't have to pay for another plate tab :)
The 350 is in pretty good original condition. Just cleaning and painting a few things will make a huge difference.
My plan was to sell this, so the sooner I get it done, the better. I do have somebody interested, but the buyer isn't going to buy it until it had a title, and is running. Fair enough. Tomorrow I plan on taking the wiring loom out and cleaning it up. After inspecting it for any faults, I'll install it in the new frame. If there's time, I'll clean up the rear wheel and install that, too. The new frame has been painted and has been sitting for 5 days now. Let the fun begin ;D

Great looking bike interceptor, shame you have to swap frames to get it titled, but fortunate you had access to a legal frame. Enjoy the therapy...;-)

Thanks. It's also nice to know that this thing ran fine, charged the battery and all the lights worked before I started swapping everything over. Here's where I am as of right now.

ATT_1424180027161_CAM00767_zps76c97719.jpg

CAM00766_zps4b1ebca9.jpg

CAM00765_zps24d9271d.jpg

This morning I pulled out the engine, degreased and powerwashed it, and added some high temp silver paint. Hopefully that'll be back in before the day is over. :)

Got some more work done. Had to cut off and weld on a new part for the foot brake, and one of the steer stops has broken off, so I'll figure that out here soon. Another couple of days and I should be all done. No real surprises to speak of. Well, not yet anyways ;)

CAM00772_zpsbf9ad342.jpg

CAM00771_zpscc18f35d.jpg

CAM00770_zpsfcbea289.jpg

No pics today, but I have been busy doing the little stuff. Carbs have been cleaned and new orings installed, forks have been gone through and new oil added, chain guard painted and installed, foot brake lever completed, new grips installed, footrests installed, both kickstands installed, right side cover painted and inside of tank has been cleaned with vinegar. I decided to paint the tank myself. It will be gold with a flat black top. Nothing fancy but clean. This is a very boring build compared to most, but showing pictures of polishing and painting is not all that exciting. I`ll post pics of the painting the tank. You arent going to believe how I`m going to do the clearcoat. I`ve never seen it done before. Stay tuned.

Started work on the tank today. Here's some pics with a little detail.
CAM00775_zpstxfv8dma.jpg

Sanded it down with some 100 grit sandpaper to have something for the primer to adhere to.

CAM00776_zpsci4mpjys.jpg

After sanding:

CAM00777_zpskxhni7vj.jpg

And after priming:

CAM00779_zpsjeqww4xj.jpg

Priming the tank will show me where to add bondo. I only see one spot right now, but I may see more tomorrow when it dries. After that, I will primer it one more time and then paint. After the paint dries (about 1 day) I will add the clear coat. I'm not going to spill the beans yet, but my preliminary tests show no reaction to gasoline, and costs very little, and is super easy to apply. Stay tuned.
Also, carbs and air filters are installed, carbs are cable synced, plugging in wires has begun and 1 side cover is painted, clear coated and installed.

great looking bike ;) nice to see it aint bein brat-molested, way to many bikes are lost down that rathole
be sure and replace the brake shoes if they are original or old

Yep, it's on the list. At the end, I'll order a bunch of stuff to save on shipping costs. My list keeps growing. Just little stuff, but it all adds up.
I came back to the tank this morning, and can see there are only a few minor dings and deep scratches to take care of. I also prepped and sprayed the underside with Dupont
rubberized spray. Something I didn't have to do, but it's an instant satisfaction thing and gives it some protection.

Got the other side cover painted and installed. Next, I was able to clean, polish and install the pipes. I think they look amazing, very lucky they are so nice. Yesterday, I bought some tank decals for a 1970 CL350. They are going to take 2-3 weeks to be delivered. So for now, I'll just install the tank and get this thing running. When the time comes, I'll paint the tank and install the decals.

ATT_1424980207788_CAM00788_zpsttao3xxp.jpg

I came in early today to clean the wheels. They polished up nicely, but I really didn't feel like attacking the spokes. To tedious of a job for my liking. It looks fine, and best of all they were all tight. Cleaned up a few things like cables and some chrome bits, then sat back and thought about what else needed to be done to finish this project. I wasn't planning on hooking up all the wiring today, but since I had the time, I did that. After crossing my fingers, I turned the key on, and I'm happy to report that everything worked ;D So I put the lamp back in place and closed it up. I'm going to fill the tank with gas next and try to start. I won't install it on the bike, but off to the side so I don't have to deal with the crossfeed tube underneath.

Still have to change oil and do that. I checked the valve lash and did the procedure for the cam chain adjustment while the engine was out of the bike. Will have to figure out the whole procedure with the oil slinger thingy ;) I think you need a special tool for it, so I may take it to the local shop I hang out at and see if he can help me. Also, just remembered that I want to change the fork oil. So add that to the list, and of course the couple things I need to order from Bike Bandit.

do it before oil change and or first start up
no special tools needed ;) its just a snap ring you should be prepared with a new couple orings...but i have reused both if they are still pliable
you just wedge a trough made outta milk jug plastic underneath it so the nasty stuff has a place to go
a can of carb or brake cleaner and some brushes and scraper/probes all you need

Yep! I had a spare engine sitting on the floor, and I saw how it all works. I took the snap ring out, screwed a screw in the center of the cap, and boom... it slides right out. Cleaned out the inside (stuffed a rag underneath) and put it all back together. The oring was good, but when I tried to put the cap back in, the oring seemed hold the cap out a little, so I had to drive the snap ring in place. Hope that makes sense. It's in place, but it was easier taking out. I will have to check the manual when I get home. Seems like it should have been easier than that.

Back
Top Bottom