'84 GS750ef Restoration "No More Blues"

A picture or two...

In the 3rd picture... can anyone tell me the best way to really renew this plastic? It surrounds the headlight and is looking pretty road-warn. I would love to give it a facelift... is wet sanding the best bet for this? Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• IMG_0338.JPG
    IMG_0338.JPG
    268.8 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0364.JPG
    IMG_0364.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 272
  • IMG_0367.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 286
This area was certainly in need of repair. I think with my lack of skills I can get this area pretty close, but not likely back to looking pristine.

The great thing about bikes... you are always learning something new or further developing your skills. I really hate paying someone else to do what I can manage with a little learning and hands-on "attempting". This was my first time to work with Bondo; it was great fun!

This second pic is obviously the tank after priming with self-etching primer. If the paint chips on this bike I will kill someone. I spent hours and hours trying to get the body looking smooth and well prepped.

Also, I have a new found respect for people who can work what seems like miracles with dents and mangles metal. It truly is an art... or maybe I just have too little patience and no skill.

Attachments

• 20141230_141527.jpg
    20141230_141527.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0356.JPG
    IMG_0356.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 273
Well finally after great frustration stemming from failed attempts to find any other way to remove the black paint from the small windshield on the bike, I have resorted to wet sanding.

I initially tried, varsol, kerosene, mineral spirits, hot water... all to no effect. I don't know what type of paint the previous owner used on the windshield but it was well nigh impossible to remove.

So I am wet sanding it off. Worst case scenario is that it looks terrible in which case I will put a fresh coat of black paint back on, but hopefully I can keep sanding with finer grit and come away with a nice clear finish.

A few pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_0372.JPG
    IMG_0372.JPG
    812.6 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0371.JPG
    IMG_0371.JPG
    456.8 KB · Views: 268
Back
Top Bottom