Pros and Cons, I can't make up my mind. (I've made up my mind, XS650 it is)

xulf13

West of Tennessee
Hi guys, I'm currently been driving this makeshift cafe. That will have to do for now.

IMG_5948.jpg

IMG_6563.jpg

I really want a mid to late 70's model cafe, preferably a Honda or Yamaha.

I am very fond of CB750's and have been wanting one for a while, then, I ran into this site and saw a lot of lovely CB350's and CB450's and even some CB550 and also some CL models as well. I really like the look of the vertical twin engine. I was inclined to build a CB750 because it's got more power and I hear the 750cc SOHC are nearly indestructible.

The CB450's have better appeal IMO, but lack the power I seek. I want to easily get up to 100MPH regardless of the fact that it is not legal to do so.
I have also read that the CB450's are better then the CB550, I can't rememeber if it was the stroke or what.

I know CB750 will have better power but even at that, according to stock specifications, it is less powerfull than my current 82 Yamaha Seca. So either way I would be down grading " in power."

THEN, I started to read up on XS650's and like I mentioned earlier, I really like the vertical twin engines for their simplicity (I think they would be simpler to work on.)

I can't a fford to have one of every flavor, so i would like to hear some pros and cons on these three bike I have picked as potential future projects ( but not full resto)

78 CB750

76 XS650

74-78 CL450 or CB450

Thanks to all who would bother to take the time.

Re: Pros and Cons, I can't make up my mind.

Go with the 650. Leaves more Hondas fore me... ;) Seriously though, the xs650s are great.

All great bikes! If you want power though, try punching the 750 out to an 850! There are tons of performance upgrade parts on the market for the SOHC 750's! You can really build a screamer if your willing to spend the cash for the parts! If you want to stay cheaper, then the smaller CB twins are your best bet! Just have to sacrifice one or the other, money or HP! Can't have you cake and eat it too! The smaller twins don't have the power of the bigger bikes but they really make up for it in lightness! You can really sling little bikes around and they are fun! They make 75mph feel like 100mph!

Cheers
Brandon

Make sure it is a Honda. I love the early 70's 350-550 range. Smaller and lighter.

107.jpg

IMG_1284-242x163.jpg

Don't discount the CB550. Great bike and it can be modified to burn up the streets. The XS650 is pretty cool too and I hear they're bullet proof. A CB450 would be easier on the pocketbook and for effort.

One thing I have noticed about the XS650's is that there aren't that many around to be had (at least not in the Raleigh Durham NC area) I really like the XS650's but I would definetly put an XS750 special tank like this one on it, if i bought one.I don't like most of the stock tanks that came with these except for this one.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-Yamaha-XS750-special-Gas-Tank_W0QQitemZ280439118285QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item414b7959cd

Like I mentioned earlier, the CB750's would probably be my best bet,specially for power, but one in running condition is going to put me in the $1200 to $2000 easy, and that's still with a lot of work needed to be done.

My budget is going to be around $3000 by the time I'm finished (or I hope) I should have mentioned my budget before as well.

I think I can get more for my buck from a CB or CL450 as mentioned by Deadbound. Oh and that photo of the red CL is just plain beautiful. Is it a 450?

It's either get a decent XS650 for around $2000 and invest some money on cosmetics and mods.

or get a CL450 for under $1000 and go all out with an added $2000. I plan on making the purchase by March and work on it through the spring and summer and have it ready by 2011 while I still ride my SECA

Can anyone mention any cons on why I shouldn't pick one of these? I mean, I like the CB750 Idea and how parts are so available for them but I know it will cost quite a bit to do all the work I would like to do to it.

It sounds like no matter what i pick it will be a good choice. I'm still debating though.

:-\Why can't I have the cake and eat it too.LOL

4 cylinders = 2x the cost of a twin when it comes to rebuilding

4 carbs = 2x the pain of a twin when it comes to tuning

I started with a CB750, then a CB500, then a CB550 - all SOHC4 Honda's. Then I bought my BMW R75/6, then an XS650, and now an SR500 (500cc single). I'm going the simpler = better route.

Tim said:
4 cylinders = 2x the cost of a twin when it comes to rebuilding

4 carbs = 2x the pain of a twin when it comes to tuning

I started with a CB750, then a CB500, then a CB550 - all SOHC4 Honda's. Then I bought my BMW R75/6, then an XS650, and now an SR500 (500cc single). I'm going the simpler = better route.
++++1
It does come down to what you want though and what you are willing to put into it. I like the bike you are riding now btw.

Shit! For an overall 3G's you should be able to build a really nice cafe bike! You can't go all out with the performance parts for a CB750 AND buy the bike for that, but with that kind of cheddar you should have no problem building a really nice bike! There are many bikes on this site that are really nice that have a total investment of less than $2500! If your the one doing most of the labor, $3000 is a really good budget to work with! Be patient in your search and you may find a bike will come to you for cheap. It may not be one on your list but it might just work out to be a great bike for an awesome price! I just got lucky and landed a 79 GS425e for $100! I was in the market for a CB350 or CB450, but then this one just landed on me!

+1... Post an ad on CL asking for project bikes. Hang out at the local shops/dealers. Go to bike nights. In the last year Ive picked up a 2stroke suzuki (72 gt250 hustler), a 77 cb750, and a 76 xs500 for $125 combined by just asking around. Sure they all need work, some need a LOT, but that leaves a ton of extra $ in your budget to get it wrapped up. Im also with the guys on the twin vs. four route. My last project was a 72 cb500 k1 and its a pain in the ass and wallet to have to buy/fix 4 of everything. Think about how much time and money you would have to put in a custom exhaust alone for a 750. Cut that in half and still take a few bucks off for a twin. Simpler = easier = faster and cheaper build.

The orange bike up there is a CL360 by SausageMahoney. Check out the bikes by other members Troybilt, Motofiaccone (banner on the left), and Mysta2. They are doing great things with the twins.

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=11211.0

I have a CB550 that is being stripped. I kinda wanted the power after I had been on a couple of 250s for a while. My next (or second) project will be a CB350-450.

XS650 is a super easy bike to work on! Sometimes when you get into putting pod filters or 4 in ones on the CB750s they can be a bit hard to tune right. I'm not knockin em cause I do love em! They are a bit more comfortable ride in my experience then the XS as well, but the XS is hard to kill and have a real nice low rumble that I like. Like mentioned before, cheaper to rebuild and easier to tune.

just my two cents

Wow, thanks for all of your replies guys.
This is narrowing it down to a twin cylinder for me. I know $3000 is a lot of money but not as much as buying a newr motorcycle and honestly i don't like newer bikes for some reason.

Anyhow, Tim's theory makes total sense to me. And after seeing so many riding twins in here, it's gotta be fun as heck.

Troy, after seeing the bike you built once and then again, heck I love twins since then. I would also like to invest on a good MIG or TIG welder so i can do my own work when it comes to modifying or doing custom work. thanks on the compliment on my current bike, it works for now, it looks rough, but it runs great.

I read somewhere that the cb450 top speed is around 106MPH, given that my current top speed is 127MPH with what I have, that is not to much a difference for me and I'm sure with some mods I can also make a screamer out of a CB450. So I'm gonna tuck my money in my pocket and be ready for a good deal to come along, be it a CB450 CL450 or XS650

Twisted wheels, I hope you're OK. If a bike landed on me I think I would be pretty sore. LOL
All jokes aside. great encouragement from you guys and also great advice. I'm looking forward to whatever good deal i find so long is a twin. ;D

this is a really informative thread. after joining this site i love cb's, a bullet proof motor that runs better and smother than a triumph. im all of my builds, i go with functionality for style. seems like you cant go wrong with the cb's. if i were you i would search craigslist. i have found a couple different cb's 750 550 450, for all less than 500. i think this is going to be my next bike and i might buy two just because of the price and functionality.

I think you're a little too worried about top speed. How often do you ride at "top speed"? Are you building this up for track only? Your best bet is to pick what you like. Pick what your budget will allow, and what is available. My 450 will do the ton with ALOT of encouragement. My 750 will do the ton fairly easily. I prefer to ride the 450 due to it's torque at very low RPMs and the rumble and vibration of the twin just sounds and feels to me like a cafe racer should.

I would go with the 650. Its really a nice bike and not too big or small.

whitexk said:
this is a really informative thread. after joining this site i love cb's, a bullet proof motor that runs better and smother than a triumph. im all of my builds, i go with functionality for style. seems like you cant go wrong with the cb's. if i were you i would search craigslist. i have found a couple different cb's 750 550 450, for all less than 500. i think this is going to be my next bike and i might buy two just because of the price and functionality.

I look on craigslist all the time. Maybe is the time of year when no one is posting or has any twin cb's available. had i had $500 last summer i could have bought a running Cb550.

The XS650's are very rare as well. By the end of this month I should have enough $$$ to Buy anything within a $800 to $1000 budget. If I can get it for cheaper so be it.

jonescafe72 said:
I think you're a little too worried about top speed. How often do you ride at "top speed"? Are you building this up for track only? Your best bet is to pick what you like. Pick what your budget will allow, and what is available. My 450 will do the ton with ALOT of encouragement. My 750 will do the ton fairly easily. I prefer to ride the 450 due to it's torque at very low RPMs and the rumble and vibration of the twin just sounds and feels to me like a cafe racer should.

I am thinking of keeping my curent bike for when I need to go faster than 100 MPH.

I am not building this for track , so I know where you're going with this. BUT I like to have the power there when needed. But after reading everyone's posts, it really does seem like a CB450 would be a lot of fun regardless of top speed. besides, even though my seca can go above 120 mph, it's a pretty heavy bike. I have never rode a twin but have heard them and I love the way they sound and look. So I guess I'm leaning more towards one of the twin CB's by now. The xs650's are too hard to come by, don't know.

OK guys, I've narrowed it down to the XS650. I found a great deal (where else) on Craigslist, and talked to the owner for a while. I gotta make the @ 1/2 hour trip this saturday morning to pick it up. wish me luck guys. Oh and it already has the tank I wanted to put on it in the first place. I will take many photos and post them by Saturday night. ;D

i'm so stoked..

Back
Top Bottom