Need your thoughts on a 1970 500 Titan

m357.5

TURBO KAWI
Heres the deal, I have the oportunity to trade for a 70 Suzuki Titan 500. Its in pieces, but has lots of potential, and comes with lots of goodies...2 sets of aftermarket expansion chambers ( TR replicas + a set of drag chambers) 2 sets of bodywork ( race + Stock ) has double disk front setup on it, rearsets ( crude ) clipons, extra barrels/heads/carbs/extra frame etc. Engine is a fresh rebuild ( top + bottom )

The bad, needs lots of TLC + assembly, and it's setup for the track....so no lighting/switchgear.

What's it worth ? And what would you pay......Am I crazy to trade my tool box for it ?

If theres nothing actually in the toolbox, its a steal. Buy a junker for its lights or work your own setup. Personally I'd love the chance to get the thing and do the wiring really clean from scratch. The pipes alone are worth a bit, I'd jump on this man.

- boingk

Awesome. Prapare for a weapon of a cafe, this is the T350 in action:

http://www.youtube.com/v/sH9wt6USU8g&hl=en_US&fs=1&

8)

- boingk

yeah.. those T500's are pretty cool..
PIcked one up for a buddy a few years ago...

Bit of a rookie.. he couldnt get it out of 2nd gear.. Its ok.. he was new to riding... ;D so it sat in my garage for 2 years... then I sold it.

Fired up right away after sitting... It was a pretty quick bike..

69_t500.jpg

69_T500_2-1.jpg

Damn that was a clean T500, I'm not that lucky...this pair of bikes would need ALOT of work to be as pretty as that one.

Anxious to see the pics ... especially the rearset setup. I might be interested in one of the chamber sets for my '72 T500 project if you want to part with either of them.

Know what the double-disc setup is? Curious ... thinking it might be a later model GT250 or GT500 setup.

He is dropping by to check out the box, then off to have a better look at what all goes with the Titan....hope all goes well. And yes if I get it a few parts will be up for sale. Looks to be a GT750 setup on the front.

Don't overtighten spark plugs or heads crack.
Second gear fails if your power shifting (or just heavy footed), swing arm is long and flexible but you get used to it and can use flex to corner faster (slide around on stock silencers ;D)

Pj

He stopped in this mornning to check out the box. Had a hell of a good chat, Manny is a wealth of info, old school rider with a definete love of motorcycles. Talked about everything from Brit bikes to Water Buffalos to Moto Guzzi's...happens to have a Guzzi 1000 he rides. Told him about DTT and he is gonna check it out 8) So the plan is to go out mid week to have a look at his stash of build material, and come up with a deal.

Done deal, picking it up next week. Manny and Bob are great guys, spent 4 hours checking out various projects Bob has on the go...they race vintage sidecars ( think FORMULA sidecars with worked over GT750 motors, Aprox 130HP and was clocked at over 160Mph at Road Atlanta...2008 North American Champion )

Anyway onto my purchase ;D
Pretty sure I'll need all the space in the Quad Cab as well as the box to get everything home.
Extra engines/barrels/heads/aftermarket chambers/tank/tail/shocks/wheels/gauges/cables/steering damper etc and another complete engine that is actually bolted into a Honda CB450 frame from the look of it ?

This is a pic of it with a GT250 tank and a Ducati SS seat....also got a fiberglass cafe tank and another tail/seat combo for it. Bob has all the porting specs for the work he did on the Intake/Exhaust/Tranfers, engine has no miles on it...completely fresh top to bottom, he is going to help fine tune the jetting once I get her back together. I figure since he built the 130HP Buffalo engine , that he knows what hes doing ;D

TR500rep023.jpg

m357.5 said:

I dont think thats a gt250 tank..
Im pretty sure thats a Suzuki GS450 tank..
I had one of those that was chromed for a cafe racer project:

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

We mounted it onto a cb550k:
IMG_2069.jpg

IMG_2071.jpg

I'd say your right about the tank, we were going through so much stuff I may have heard Bob wrong when we were checking different tanks. I kinda like the tank tough, but it looks real good with the Glass tank too. The Glass tank is a little longer but not as tall.

Can anyone identify the second frame...its a poor pic, but I figure its a Honda 450. Not sure why anyone would swap a 500 2 stroke into it ? it had aftermarket chambers on it and S&W shocks too.

TR500rep021.jpg

Awesome stuff m357.5, way to go! As for the engine swap, it'd be because the 500 stroker unit would be vastly lighter than the 750. Not to mention it'd put out more power after some modifications like pipes, carbs and porting. It'd transform the bike.

- boingk

Tweakin has a pic up of his 77 750F frame and its definetely different....this frame has a Honda aura about it though thats for sure. I'm still scratchin my head :D

boingk, I'm stoked about this bike. I'm actually thinking about starting on this project and putting the Bobber on the back burnner...might have to sell one of my other bikes as I have no fucking idea where I'm gonna put all this 500 stuff.

Oh, almost forgot. Anyone here have experience with doing a Reed Valve conversion ? There is one set of jugs in with the engine components that has had this mod done to them...It was dark in the shop and I could not find markings of any kind on the reed valve assemblies to tell what they are from ??? Think this set was in with the parts off the drag bike.

Back
Top Bottom