Paint stripping question

Tunz

Been Around the Block
hey guys...I've been gettin some good work done on my XS650 the past couple days...only thing is I can take any pics of the progress, cause some arsehole stole my wifes camera out of our car!!! $300 camera i bought her for our anniversary...he's lucky i didnt catch him doin it, lets just say that.

anyways, I didnt realize that the spoked rims on my XS we're actually aluminum rims!! A previous, previous owner had hand brush painted them black...nasty! The paint is pretty thick too, just wondering if anyone knows of a good product/procedure to get rid of all that old shitty black paint in a quick manner! It's probably gonna be alot of work as the spokes are obviously steel...I'll have to mask off the rest of the rim and spray paint them after the stripping is done, as they look a tad bit rusty under that black paint. lemme know what you had done or of anything u know on the subject!

cheers - Tunz

Bereal carefulnot to leave it too long.
Its caustic and ill attack the alloy.
I'm going to have about 40hrs into the XS rims I'm fitting to my 360, they get pretty pitted up from 'normal' wearr and tear.

PJ

Hey Tunz, may not find that in Canada, if not you cna try Circa 1850, it's a furniture stripper but I used it to take 5 layers of paint off my tank. It works well, is a gel and all you do is paint it on let it sit, paint on more and as it works it just melts off the paint. It has to be kept wet and when you are alost done, you use steel wool dipped in it and it finishes getting paint out of all the small spots. it won't harm aluminum either. You can get it at Kent or Canadian tire in the paint section.

Cheers,

Maritime

Right on! thanks for the info man! Next time Im in town ill take a look for all them and see what they got! Cant wait to get goin on this!

Maritime Biker said:
Hey Tunz, may not find that in Canada, if not you cna try Circa 1850, it's a furniture stripper but I used it to take 5 layers of paint off my tank. It works well, is a gel and all you do is paint it on let it sit, paint on more and as it works it just melts off the paint. It has to be kept wet and when you are alost done, you use steel wool dipped in it and it finishes getting paint out of all the small spots. it won't harm aluminum either. You can get it at Kent or Canadian tire in the paint section.

Cheers,

Maritime
+1 on that. Homedepot carries it as well.

Jay

Maritime Biker said:
[size=20pt]!!!...WARNING...!!!
Wow Wow Wow!!!!!! Be careful what you get to strip aluminum!!!!! Most strippers will ruin aluminums structural integrity and finish! That is why aircraft stripper is called aircraft stripper! It is safe on aluminum while most strippers are NOT!

Right on, Ill prob try and find aircraft stripper if i can, if not ill try and find somethin that says its aluminum friendly

just picked up some sheet metal and kneeling pad from princess auto today to start making my seat! Stoked!

Any stripping gel designed for wood will be aluminum safe. They just take forever and a day on enamels.

If you are going to paint your spokes, don't do what I did... Model brush. Takes way too long. And don't paint the spoke nipples, not worth it.

Tunz said:
Right on, Ill prob try and find aircraft stripper if i can, if not ill try and find somethin that says its aluminum friendly

just picked up some sheet metal and kneeling pad from princess auto today to start making my seat! Stoked!

Circa should be, It is pretty gental stuff. It takes a little longer but there is no odor, and it is really not going to eat away at anything but the paint. Just use a paint brush with natural bristles and you will be throwing it away when done. it will be messy as shit too so use a lot of newspaper under it. It cleans up with a little water and a rag once you are done.

Sweet - I'm actually just getting ready to head to the shop in a few, hopefully will give this a try today...one more coat on my frame and I can finally start re-assembling the beast!

got the paint stripped off the rear wheel, a little bit of polishing done. I used the circa paint stripper, worked great, starts working right away. Still took me a good while to get it all stripped from the spokes and inside part of the rim, but I think it will look good when its done, way better then hand brush black. If i cant get the inner part of the rim cleaned good enough, I may paint it along with the spokes.

thanks for the help guys!

thats the plan for sure man! i would go crazy if the good weather came and i couldnt ride er

I have been having withdrawls bad. I almost fired up the bike 2 days ago when it was above 0. I just didn't have any fuel stabilizer left to refill the tank or I probably would have. I totally need to ride soon. Or get another project bike. I re-built mine last winter and it kept me sane. I am the type that rides, everyday, no matter what the weather is doing etc. I put a lot of miles on my bike every spring/summer/fall. Cheers,

I only put about 2500kms on my bike last year, but got it half way through the season and had some bugs to work out with er too....but man I am havin withdraws already too! Theres has been a couple days, where if my bike was back together i would taken er out. But yeah having a project to work on in the winter makes it a bit easier to manage haha. I literally drive my wife insane when I dont have shit to do haha...i feel bad sometimes, but its just more evidence that I NEED my own shop! I've got a KZ440 project I could do and also have a couple other XS650 engines for a project! Just need my own space to do it. All my stuffs takin up too much room at work! I'm thinkin my next project will be an XS bobber. Though there is a possibility of a sportster coming my way sometime this year as well. haha im just ramblin now....winter blues ramblin!

cheers

Back
Top Bottom