My CB450 Cafe racer seat build - **No Welding**

HerrDeacon said:
Nice work Noel, that really came out nice. What's the strap for? Just for looks?

Thanks man... The strap was orginally there, part of the seat.
I have no idea why it was part of the OEM seat...

HerrDeacon said:
Nice work Noel, that really came out nice. What's the strap for? Just for looks?

Looks like it's there to rub yer arse (Looks cool though).

Originally it's for passengers to hold on to... Not that I would recommend that... I always (when I have the 2-up seat on) get passengers to put 2 hands on the base of the gas tank... that way they have something solid to hold onto and don't slam their helmet into the back of yours whenever you slow down.
I will, however, be putting a factory strap on the 2-up seat for looks. ;)

Hey Noel, any reason why you made the pad sit on top of the pan instead of wrapping it around? Or is it just personal preference?

Ease said:
Hey Noel, any reason why you made the pad sit on top of the pan instead of wrapping it around? Or is it just personal preference?

The seat pan was so nice and clean + the added bonus of having a chrome trim along the bottom that I decided that I wanted to show that off. The chrome trim will look good next to the K1 tank w/ chrome panes after the tank is treated & painted black. Besides with a "pad" on the pan, it makes the seat look thinner especially since the cowl is not as tall.

On the other cb550f seat that Im building, I'll tuck the leather around and under the seat pan. The Cowl is taller on the cb550f seat so with the leather tucked underneath, it will look balanced...

locO leoN said:
The seat pan was so nice and clean + the added bonus of having a chrome trim along the bottom that I decided that I wanted to show that off. The chrome trim will look good next to the K1 tank w/ chrome panes after the tank is treated & painted black. Besides with a "pad" on the pan, it makes the seat look thinner especially since the cowl is not as tall.

On the other cb550f seat that Im building, I'll tuck the leather around and under the seat pan. The Cowl is taller on the cb550f seat so with the leather tucked underneath, it will look balanced...

Aaaah, so there's a method to Noel's madness. Who'd have thought!!
:D :D

Ok.. So here is the bike, with the seat on it..
Sorry for the dark pics... I work in a dark garage....

this is Pre Paint & Pre- K1 Tank & Pre-Fender chop

101-0124_IMG.jpg

IMAGE_00076.jpg

Soon as its warmer outside, I'll be painting the seat & chopping the rear render off...
Ironcally, the rear fender is NOS PERFECT... not a blemish, not a spec of rust, not even a fleck of dust on it!!....
ITS GONNA GET CHOPPED!!!... BAHAHAHAHHA

locO leoN said:
Soon as its warmer outside, I'll be painting the seat & chopping the rear render off...
Ironcally, the rear fender is NOS PERFECT... not a blemish, not a spec of rust, not even a fleck of dust on it!!....
ITS GONNA GET CHOPPED!!!... BAHAHAHAHHA

Dude .. if you keep it up you should change your board name to the NOS Butcher.

ehhh.. dont get your panties in a knot big guy!!.. LOL!!...
I found a cb550 plastic inner fender that Im gonna use instead... All you NOS lovers can thank Saucer for pointing out the fact that a plastic inner from another bike would work just fine... ;D... and would be less work then chopping

I think the cafe seat (I hate the word 'cowl') would look better if you could lower it 1-2". Is that possible?

--Chris

chrisf said:
I think the cafe seat (I hate the word 'cowl') would look better if you could lower it 1-2". Is that possible?

--Chris

Hey Chris,
are you referring to lowering the "cowl", ( I know you hate that word), itself 1-2 inches, or the seat foam or the overall height throughout the entire seat?

It looks a bit high in the pics because the rear fender is still in place and waiting to be removed and that stock tank far to sloped in the back. I have a taller and more boxier cb450 K1 tank that will be put in its place.

But yeah, since the back part is just screwed in, it can be repositioned in any way, which I'll probabbly do after I put on the cl pipes etc..etc...

Here are some pics of the bike w. the cb900f shocks

100-0012_IMG.jpg

100-0010_IMG.jpg

100-0009_IMG.jpg

You could fit a small african clan between the bottom of the seat and the rear tyre. Are you planning on smuggling with that bike or racing off road. or did you gain like 25stone we don't know about.

I am glad your killing streak has been halted at least for today.

Mortikan said:
You could fit a small african clan between the bottom of the seat and the rear tyre. Are you planning on smuggling with that bike or racing off road. or did you gain like 25stone we don't know about.
I am glad your killing streak has been halted at least for today.

yeah, when I put that seat together, i just lined up the bottom of the cowl with the bottom of the seat pan so that the lines are continious.
Thats what gives the seat a slightly raised look, that + the taller 900f shock + the 2 inch lowered front end...
I'll tilt the cowl back a bit to make the seat look a little more flat, after I put up the CL pipes.

clpipes.jpg

On these I'll be HACKING the muffler off the pipes and mounting 2 slightly baffled drap pipe ends then rettatching the heat shield, since there are some rust holes in the actual mufflers.

ehh.. who knows.. Mabe I'll go dirt bike riding with this bike!!..

Just for the sake of posting it up, here are some updated pics of the cb450 with the seat all complete, with "floating" Lucas tail-lights and turn signals:

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

That exhaust is sick!

I'd use some of your rattle can flat black paint on your taillight bracket though. ;)

Ease said:
That exhaust is sick!

I'd use some of your rattle can flat black paint on your taillight bracket though. ;)

I know.. i know.. I ran out.. Off to Canadian Tire I go after dinner.

I know this section is for tanks and seats, but I have to say that exhaust is amazing! Love the tail though, and like how the light just floats there, nice work.

Back
Top Bottom