1974 CB360 Fallin' Ditch Hell Ride

xb33bsa said:
it would be prudent to have an anti drainback check ball valve in the outgoing oil line

How does that work? Doesn't the pressure from the pump ensure the flow is only one way?

Sonreir said:
How does that work? Doesn't the pressure from the pump ensure the flow is only one way?
the extra plumbing and oil cooler takes a certain volume/time to fill, if it has to be filled every time the engine is fired well thats not optimal
a checkball valve can eliminate the situastion,nip it in the bud it doesnt even need spring loading if mounted so gravity helps its fuction ,something like this cheap insurance

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctr-24-280/overview/

Awesome. I get it now. Thanks for the explanation.

A very important consideration on the 360, which can take almost a minute to get oil from the sump to the head.

A small external pump could be fired up w the key, to get oil moving even before bike is running.

This isn't a system to replace the existing circuit, it's just an added path. No cooler, but a reservoir to increase capacity by a quart. The reservoir will act like a regulator. It will stay full, and flow once pressure is reintroduced. I didn't turn it into a dry sump.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I would just run a small diameter line direct to head/cam bearings.
Fitting a cooler, you must have an anti-drainback as pointed out

deviant said:
This isn't a system to replace the existing circuit, it's just an added path. No cooler, but a reservoir to increase capacity by a quart. The reservoir will act like a regulator. It will stay full, and flow once pressure is reintroduced. I didn't turn it into a dry sump.

an accumulator then ? maybe not but accumulators are sometimes used in road race vehicles
https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/engine-oil-accumulators?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&tw=accum&sw=Engine%20Oil%20Accumulators

xb33bsa said:
an accumulator then ? maybe not but accumulators are sometimes used in road race vehicles
https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/engine-oil-accumulators?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&tw=accum&sw=Engine%20Oil%20Accumulators
An accumulator isn't flow through. It's a reserve that allows you to add oil into the system, usually by compressed air.

deviant said:
An accumulator isn't flow through. It's a reserve that allows you to add oil into the system, usually by compressed air.
yep they can save an engine in a situation where the pump starts gulping air
and can be used for prelube prestartup
is what you are doing a proven ? i am not grasping the concept

xb33bsa said:
yep they can save an engine in a situation where the pump starts gulping air
and can be used for prelube prestartup
is what you are doing a proven ? i am not grasping the concept
It's been done many times. Just another way to compensate for the machine's notorious oiling issues. I've done PJ's internal mods on a stock machine, and this motor has had the stock galleys opened up. I'm just taking it another step further with the bigger bore and eventual cam upgrade. I will likely add the cooler at some point, and include a check valve if that happens. I may end up adding in a pump, too. First, I want to see where this takes it. Here's a version of the mod with a pump:

ScreenShot2013-11-16at91522PMpng_thumb_zpse5a29504.png

It should keep the motor temps lower, external cooler or not.

So you're increasing the total volume of oil within the motor, opened up the stock passages, and have oil flowing to the top end through the external tank -does that result in lower pressure through the filter/galley and external reservoir?

If the pressure is now essentially split between the two channels, will there be enough pressure to get oil up top through either route?

adventurco said:
All in theory. I'm just spitballing here.
In theory, it should be create better functional flow. The pump's pressure is the same. I haven't changed the motor's oil pump.

Anyway... if I can figure out how to weld up a 2-into-1 collector out of the random shit I have laying around I have my exhaust...

6c4a4420c6206905b7d8f77140d053c6.jpg

Should of spoke sooner, I have a few nice ones and some used ones... never make it unless overnight.

Attachments

• Brrrraaaap.jpg
    Brrrraaaap.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 814
  • Norm.jpg
    Norm.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 868
Tune-A-Fish said:
Should of spoke sooner, I have a few nice ones and some used ones... never make it unless overnight.
Ha. Much thanks anyhoo. I have a CJ360 collector. I'll probably just order the CJ headers to match when I have more time. For now, I heated and bent these jawns to get me through. I have enough scrap crap around, I think.

deviant said:
Ha. Much thanks anyhoo. I have a CJ360 collector. I'll probably just order the CJ headers to match when I have more time. For now, I heated and bent these jawns to get me through. I have enough scrap crap around, I think.

2 chunks of pipe and a belt sander to make a crotch... make the notch cuts and weld the kinks in the 2 after sanding then weld the crotch up with birds beak then cut that off right where the dia is close to the mega slip.

Tune-A-Fish said:
2 chunks of pipe and a belt sander to make a crotch... make the notch cuts and weld the kinks in the 2 after sanding then weld the crotch up with birds beak then cut that off right where the dia is close to the mega slip.

"It's English, but not as we know it Scotty" haha! :)

Back
Top Bottom