1977 XS750 - Project Maggie Mae

BigBSBusa

Over 1,000 Posts
Well, had previously posted in my introduction that I was looking at getting an '80 CB750 (a couple actually) for my first project. Listened to the words of those that posted and then found a '77 750 Triple that I picked up this weekend. The bike runs (a big bonus ;D) and came complete. Included in the sale were several boxes of parts and a parts bike. Looking forward to getting started on this one. So much so, in fact, that I started the teardown as soon as I got home. Here's a few pics. First is after getting taken off the trailer and the second is when I had to stop gettin' her tore down.

nice pickup...gonna caffenate it? I was going to with my 79f but it was too sweet to hack...been a great touring roadster...im in the process of caffenating a 78 kz750b twin and a 79 gs750....the triple standard is just too cool

nice find. i like those rear sections. just lower the bars and be done. no matter what its a nice bike.

cafedallas said:
nice pickup...gonna caffenate it? I was going to with my 79f but it was too sweet to hack...been a great touring roadster...im in the process of caffenating a 78 kz750b twin and a 79 gs750....the triple standard is just too cool

Good lookin' Triple that you've got there. I will be giving her the cafe treatment, but since I have the essentially complete parts bike I may keep that one as a tourer. I actually wanted either the CB750 or GS750 and couldn't find one I was comfortable with.

Finished teardown over the weekend and prepping the frame, swingarm, centerstand, sidestand and a few other parts for paint. Here's how she sits today.

I LOVE the Yamaha triples. I have an running 850 project, a couple good engines and a 7502D parts bike. In fact, this 850 was my first "big bike". Great motor, when in tune will pull like a freight train. head to head, the 750 will leave a cb750 in it's dust and make a good race for the GS. The 850 is just better all around.

There's a fix for the 2nd gear pop-out that can be found at the yamaha triple owners group.
Hinkley Triumph 750/900cc triple carbs drop right on and are MILES better than the stock carbs.
The header from the same bike can be made to fit with a small amount of welding, WAY better than the stock pipes, nevr mind the muffler(s) you may choose.
One of the best initial mods you can do for your bike is to swap to a 80-82 electronic ignition, it's a drop in and the bike will be stronger throughout the RPM range but will start and roll on much better.
You may or may not have Koni adjustable shocks on the back. It seems to be a little random as to which ones came with them. If you do they are worth sending out to be rebuilt, add a bit stiffer spring and you're dialed. The forks are fine for touring around, but you'll want to upgrade to better units if you plan to ride in any sporting manner.
Delta Cams in Washington can regrind your stock cams for more power by making the base circle smaller. Works great for these engines, the heads also benefit from a small amount of port clean up, especially on the small radius and around the valve stems.
You can rock 100hp+ with a bit of work and a set of 850 pistons and cylinder.

good pick!

Swagger said:
I LOVE the Yamaha triples. I have an running 850 project, a couple good engines and a 7502D parts bike. In fact, this 850 was my first "big bike". Great motor, when in tune will pull like a freight train. head to head, the 750 will leave a cb750 in it's dust and make a good race for the GS. The 850 is just better all around.

There's a fix for the 2nd gear pop-out that can be found at the yamaha triple owners group.
Hinkley Triumph 750/900cc triple carbs drop right on and are MILES better than the stock carbs.
The header from the same bike can be made to fit with a small amount of welding, WAY better than the stock pipes, nevr mind the muffler(s) you may choose.
One of the best initial mods you can do for your bike is to swap to a 80-82 electronic ignition, it's a drop in and the bike will be stronger throughout the RPM range but will start and roll on much better.
You may or may not have Koni adjustable shocks on the back. It seems to be a little random as to which ones came with them. If you do they are worth sending out to be rebuilt, add a bit stiffer spring and you're dialed. The forks are fine for touring around, but you'll want to upgrade to better units if you plan to ride in any sporting manner.
Delta Cams in Washington can regrind your stock cams for more power by making the base circle smaller. Works great for these engines, the heads also benefit from a small amount of port clean up, especially on the small radius and around the valve stems.
You can rock 100hp+ with a bit of work and a set of 850 pistons and cylinder.

good pick!

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely check on the Triumph carbs and newer electronic ignition. May or may not do much with the power since I can jump on the Busa when I really want to go. Have already gotten a lot of good info from the Yamaha Triples site, but I appreciate you pointing me in that direction. What do you have planned for the 850?

dcmspikes said:
nice find. i like those rear sections. just lower the bars and be done. no matter what its a nice bike.

I agree, these bikes do need some suspension upgrades if you want them to handle better. ;)

BigBSBusa said:
Thanks for the tips. I will definitely check on the Triumph carbs and newer electronic ignition. May or may not do much with the power since I can jump on the Busa when I really want to go. Have already gotten a lot of good info from the Yamaha Triples site, but I appreciate you pointing me in that direction. What do you have planned for the 850?

There is that....I have an R1 and my SuperIII if I want racebike fast....but I love hotrods!

Hoping to get quite a bit done this weekend, but here are the first pics. The 'Before' and 'After' on the frame getting primed for paint. The aircraft paint stripper I used did an amazing job. Got the swingarm, centerstand, sidestand and triple tree done also. Need to touch up a few places, let dry and hopefully get to paint this afternoon.

i've got a line on a running titled XS750 for $600.

looks pretty clean and its complete except for a hideous mustang seat.

that sound like a good deal?

I've really only logged time on my CB500 Four and was looking to upsize.

Thoughts?

Honestly, I'd try to knock the price down a little bit unless it comes with a lot of extra stuff. Got the bike I'm rebuilding plus an almost complete parts bike, spare motor and other pieces for less than that.

DetroitRockCity said:
i've got a line on a running titled XS750 for $600.

looks pretty clean and its complete except for a hideous mustang seat.

that sound like a good deal?

I've really only logged time on my CB500 Four and was looking to upsize.

Thoughts?

For a bike you just jump on and ride, it's a fair price. How do you value your time and parts if it is not roadworthy ? My xs850 is always a work in progress and i have almost 4000 in a $1000 purchase. I wonder why you would upsize ? Your 500 would probably run rings around the 750. I know my GPz550 does. ;D

Not sure if you can tell, but the frame came out pretty good. Need to wetsand and clear it and she'll be all set.

not trying to threadjack... but.

you think a CB500 is as fast as an XS750? the one i'm looking at really only needs a seat and some cleaning and maybe some rubber.

i have 4 CB500's and was just looking to expand my riding options.

thoughts and info on a XS750?

Busily trying to get stuff done and managed to finish the frame, swingarm, centerstand, sidestand and top triple tree. Finishing up the lower tree and wheels and that should let me get started with some reassembly. Lots of other little things to get painted/powdercoated, but that will happen later. Will post pics as soon as I can.

Detroit: Nope, sorry. The XS750 will walk away from a CB750 both being set up the same. If your 500 is heavily modded....maybe, but it'd need a lot.

Back
Top Bottom