'87 Honda NSR250 'ELF Special'

lapdog5 said:
Hey just made a account but, is it worth getting a nsr250 mc16 for $3900 aud with about 19xxxkm on the clock looks in nearly perfic codition and I have about a week to decide if I want it or not

Seems a little steep for a 16. I'm assuming you are in Australia? If prices over there are similar to NZ, you could probably pick up a decent MC21 for that. All NSR's are hard for parts by the way, but the 16 is the worst. Center crank seals are somewhat prone to failure, and the seal is especially difficult to obtain.

Back to your original question, if you are wanting an original condition collectors piece than it's not too bad a deal. If you want something to tinker with and modify, I'd look for a cheaper bike, preferably a later model.

Is the center crank seal some odd size?
If so, converting to a Yamaha type labyrinth seal would probably be the smart thing to do?
Several yeras ago I had some major issues with a Suzuki 250, turns out the center bore wasn't parallel so the seal kept moving into crank web.
Bearing bore was good but not where the seal fitted
Did the crank 3~4 times, twice under under warranty before guy got pissed off enough to bring in the complete motor, then I found problem :eek:

Yeah the centre seal is an odd size. I've been doing a bit of research today, it seems you can have a sleeve made to press over the crank centre to bring the inner dimension to a more common size. But it also seems there are a couple of places who are supplying specially made replacement seals.

Well I have just finished restoring a 1983 KTM 495 and sold for 4k now I'm just looking for a 2 stroke road bike. It is impossible to find a mc 21 in Australia I have seen nearly none this is the best condition one I have seen. How long to the Nsr take till a rebuild usually ?

Well if you like it, go for it!

With normal road use cranks generally last 30-40000 km. Depends how well the bike is maintained, and how hard it is ridden. I've seen NSR's for sale with 50000+ km and I don't think the cranks have been done.

Pistons and rings should last 10000 km with normal road use.

sounds good well I'm going to end up Buying the Nsr for $3300. the paint it seems pretty much perfect condition it looks like it has never seen the Sun .when i went to check it out started second kick and seem to idle fine. what to all of you people think of the bike?

Attachments

• $_20 (1).JPG
    $_20 (1).JPG
    105 KB · Views: 307
I think it looks like a bike that you could get into a lot of trouble on ;D

If you do buy it, please create a forum thread for it, because I'm sure we'd like to see more of it.

Yea it looks preety spectacular if I don't pick it a this weekend next weekend for shoure and I'll crest a new thread. Here's a mother pik

Attachments

• $_20 (3).JPG
    $_20 (3).JPG
    103 KB · Views: 283
  • $_20 (2).JPG
    $_20 (2).JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 284
  • $_20 (1).JPG
    $_20 (1).JPG
    105 KB · Views: 295
Bort the Nsr to day, oh man it goes hard! power ban is way to addicting, Keeping it under 140 is a mission

I just sold one of those to a buddy in tassie for 2k after a complete rebuild with nos parts and a re-paint as it was pretty ordinary when I first got it. Still have my 21 for play

Looks good dude, Yesterday on my Mc16 I got up to 180km/h which was a good rush ahaha, will be taking it apart today and cleaning out the carbies and mabey thinking of doing the rings soon :/
I don't know how to make a new thread but is it all good if i occasionaly post on this thread and when i figure out how to make one ill Swap over to mine :)

A little power skid on the dirt road back home

Hey Moa, check what i found ! aha
What dose the "elf" mean or is it just a name

Attachments

• 1922000_234532180064428_644024199_n.jpg
    1922000_234532180064428_644024199_n.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 341
Sweet KX500! I would never have the skill to ride something like that.

"elf" is "ELF lubricants" makers of oils and such. It's a French company so it could mean something, or just be a made up French name. Actually it's just a brand now of another big oil company. They used to sponsor various race teams back in the day, motorbikes and F1. I just like the look of their logo.

Back
Top Bottom