'87 Honda NSR250 'ELF Special'

Re: NSR250 revival

I like the Elf one best too, but I haven't quite got it right, It just looks a bit unbalanced. It might just be a difficult design to do in photoshop. I think it would look awesome in real life if done right! I'm gonna tweak the design a bit, and try get it to work.

Here's another design I came up with, I quite like this one, It's nice and clean.

HRC_white_3.jpg

I like this 1, but with a silver frame ;)

Attachments

• red_white_blue2.jpg
    red_white_blue2.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 362

Elf replica it is! But I've fiddled with it and made it more like the original design. The question now, is should I chop the excess plastic on the tail piece, below the red stripe?

On another note, I've found a good condition cylinder to replace the scored one, so the engine rebuild is starting to come together nicely.

elf_replica.jpg

Just a little update with some pics. I'm starting to go through all the boxes and sort out what needs doing.

Firstly, the old calipers were stripped of their seized pistons and given a bit of a clean up. I have new pistons and seals and a few other bits for them on order. I suppose I should re-paint them too.

DSCN1270.jpg

DSCN1290.jpg

DSCN1291.jpg

Rear shock just cleaned:
DSCN1288.jpg

Cooling system components cleaned up. I think some new hoses are in order, and maybe a splash of paint for the radiator.
DSCN1284.jpg

Front forks disassembled and paint stripped. To be re-painted and finished with a nice Showa decal.
DSCN1287.jpg

Man this build is getting expensive, but I do it for the love of it! :D

Hey Moa, just caught up on your thread. Looking rad! Those calipers are unique to the MC16. The Nissins on the 18s are different, and the 21's got a different set as well. Radiator and shock are also different to other models. Seems the components got changed with each generation, with the MC21 and MC28 sharing quite a few. The forks look the same .... Showa?

Love this project. WRT the colors you mocked up, they all look good, and I have a couple of comments/observations/opinions. The fully enclosed rear end looks a little dated now but was the way they were back then. A 2002 RS250 tail might look good, but if you want to stay with stock bodywork, the paint scheme can change the visual perception.

The white with stripes is nice and clean but looks a little mid seventies. Blacking out the lower portion on teh rear bodywork, like an M1 Yamaha, might work to lighten up the back end.

The red wing looks great. I'd change the red on the tail because it draws attention to that heavy looking rear end and I'd change the angle of the blue to sweep up at the back. I'm not sure if that's because we're used to seeing an upward stripe so that looks normal or if it creates a forward leaning look, but for whatever reason it tens to look better that way to my eyes at least.

The ELF scheme is a classic and just looks right but is a little dull - as in the colors don't pop. What really works there is teh black on teh lower sections of the rear bodywork make it disappear, so it looks lighter at the rear and more modern. Maybe a white 1/4" (6mm) pinstripe either side of th red strip and maybe the "HONDA racing" in white might lift it a little - or it will make it too fussy. Can't tell at this stage.

Rothman's always look great on any Honda smoker of course but is whole lot more masking and painting.

It reminds me a lot of the 96 RS250R we rebuild a couple of years ago. The family resemblance is easy to see.

Dale said:
Hey Moa, just caught up on your thread. Looking rad! Those calipers are unique to the MC16. The Nissins on the 18s are different, and the 21's got a different set as well. Radiator and shock are also different to other models. Seems the components got changed with each generation, with the MC21 and MC28 sharing quite a few. The forks look the same .... Showa?

Yeah, it's a bit of a pain how they changed so many parts with each generation, it makes things much harder to find. At least the main brake components are common to many other Honda's. Yes they are Showa forks.

Teazer, I appreciate your input. I'm new to building bikes, and I've never worked with a fairing before. I know what you mean about the tailpiece, it looks a bit heavy. Since I'm going to ditch the pillion seat and pegs, it might be wise to change the tail too.

I could throw a Tyga tail on there, they're made for the MC18, but should fit the 16 without too much trouble.
bpft0009a-91a97f38.jpg

What do you think? Would a curvy tail like this work with the rest of the bodywork? I'm thinking maybe a slightly lower and sleeker screen/top fairing (the MC18 one is nicer), and maybe a bit of a curve on the belly.

As for the paint scheme, I'm pretty set on the ELF one, the Rothman's scheme is nice, but has been done to death. I've personally never seen an ELF replica NSR. Sure the colours are conservative, but I think overall it looks very cool. If it looks half as good as this one I'll be happy.
Elf-Honda-11-L.jpg

If that seat can be made to fit without too much modification, I think it would look great. You could also cut the rear hugger down to a more modern size or get a replacement to really start to clean the back end up.

I just replaced a YZF R7 seat with an Aprilia RS250 seat on the latest project and it looks much better (it is very similar to the one you posted). Those rounded seats aren't quite as sleek as a modern MotoGP or Moto2 seat, but that might look a little too vestigial.

I think you'll like that curved look. Nothing wrong with nice curves in the right places. Right?

EDIT:
I just checked the TYGA site and that seat looks very large on the customer MC18 featured. MC28 might look better. They have a few that might work.

http://tyga-performance.com/site/tygaimgs/pb/pbright-fd51450a.jpg

http://tyga-performance.com/site/chrispics/tyga-calender-36-37463a04.jpg

WRT the rear seat discussion. I was under the impression that you liked the retro body?

If you're going to go the updated look, the cool thing with the Tyga kits is that you get a new lightweight bolt on sub frame. I updated my MC28 with the Tyga kit. It also relocated the battery to the cowl, cleaning things up visually.

Funny you mention the Aprillia RS250 tail, Teazer. I had the same idea, and actually have a stock as well as a lightweight race tail from a MKII. The idea was to do the same, however, it's WAY too wide. These NSR's are NARROW! I'll take a pic later when I get home and post it. I'm assuming you mean a MKII? From the side, it looks a beauty, but from the rear, it's too fat! :) Cutting it down will be tricky wrt the overall shape. And up front, getting it to fit with the Honda tank and frame is a challenge.

My personal opinion, and you're going to get a bunch, is the slightly retro Tyga seat you posted Moa, if you're going non-stock. I can honestly recommend the Tyga products. My fairings needed a small amount of cleanup though.

Oh, and I'm with you on the ELF scheme... you'll see once its in the flesh, it won't come across as "conservative" at all...

Yeah I changed my mind, I prefer a more updated look now. Just been playing around in Photoshop, a smaller tailpiece, slightly modded fairing, and updated graphics just makes it look sooo much nicer. :D

New_Fairings_2.jpg

For what its worth, on my MC21 track bike, I cut my subframe down to the bare bones. I made up an aluminium tray, which fitted between the two frame rails and relocated the electrics onto it. I also cut down the plastic battery box to what was only required... Its still heavier than a Tyga subframe, but much lighter than the original... The seat, if you're interested is a cheap fibreglass racing unit made by Racebox.

Dale-subframe.jpg

Actually Moa, I have a spare seat like the one in the picture... if you want it you can have it. Perhaps when Mario posts your crank, he can package it in. Not sure how much the packaging to NZ will cost though? Its light, but it takes up space, the crank could easily fit into it, so might not be too bad... ? Just a thought... I prefer your design though.

I might take you up on that offer Dale, just whipped up a quick Photoshop render and that tail looks pretty good to me. The only concern I have is that the MC16 subframe bottom tubes look like they sit quite low (see the first pic on page 1). Just wondering if they'll stick out from underneath?

ELF_Dales_Tail.jpg

EDIT: Actually, here's a better pic, looks like it doesn't slope up as much as the MC21?

DSCN1123-1.jpg

Dale, Yes Mk2 RS250 but mine is on a big old fat GT750 with YZF600 tank, so it's a little wide but looks OK on my full figured girl. On the NSR I agree the profile is nice, but that wide seat is not appropriate. My current favorite seat is the 2012 M1 MotoGp Yamaha. It is almost perfect in terms of shape but probably too wide for s skinny girl like the NSR.

A Honda RS250 seat might work though. It's fat like the APrila but has less droopy bits than the way that TYGA unit looks on the Rothmans rep. The seat on your track bike looks like it would work well on a custom subframe.

Moa,
Fortunately a subframe is easy to build or modify. I'd be tempted to get some 19mm thin wall chrome moly and make a new one or square section alloy tube like a 93 on RS250R Honda - minimalist. Add just enough for brackets to locate a minimalist undertray to locate the electrics and leave off passenger pegs and passenger seat mounts etc. Don't forget to allow for a small tail light and number plate.

Your latest render looks spot on and would look even better with a custom subframe.

Back
Top Bottom