My Honda SL100. Birth of the Taurus

Redliner

Over 1,000 Posts
Well serves me right for complaining that I have too much free time.

When I'm working on motorcycles I may have 4-6 at any given time, but at times I am waiting for parts on the post and have nothing more to do.

Funds for my CL350 are slim for now, but my room mates have all expressed interest in learning to ride. Normally in the form of harassing me. "Dude when are we gonna learn to ride? We need to get a dirt bike man! A little dirt bike that we can carry inside and keep in our living room then take it out on the weekend!"

Well I already had an idea of what I wanted. There were several dirtbikes I had seen come and go at Tony's place here in Dallas. But one seemed particularly charming, and I made the mistake of mentioning it to Texasstar, who also buys parts from the same warehouse ::)

The very next morning, I receive a PM telling me that I own a motorcycle. Yeah right. OH....guess so! Hah, several hours later he shows up and dumps this sweet sweet toy off! Can't even say how grateful I am. My mates are already eager to learn more about every part of it, and what better way to start than with a one-cylinder four-stroke?

So included is a pic that Texasstar snapped while the bike was still smothered by a CB550F.

Then you can see the condition that he dropped the bike off in and the progress we've made tearing it down.

Thanks again to Texasstar, and you're welcome to come by with Zeke and help ride the thing till the wheels finally fall off!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 286
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    287.1 KB · Views: 290
  • photo 4-1.JPG
    photo 4-1.JPG
    268.6 KB · Views: 276
  • photo 1-2.JPG
    photo 1-2.JPG
    318.1 KB · Views: 272
Re: My Honda SL100. Birth of the Garrobo

I think it's an absolutely gorgeous bike. Nobody makes tiny trotters quite so nicely these days.

Though the paint is faded, it's an absolutely absurd stellar green and we have all agreed to keep it that way. The green is just odd and quaint, somewhat like a lizard. So it's to be known as the Garrobo.

The idea of the project is to put it back out on the dirt by any means necessary. Mismatched grips or levers, etc, whatever! She won't win a beauty pageant but oh she's going to be ridden all through winter.

Texasstar, you helped save this beautiful stinker from a heap ;D

Re: My Honda SL100. Birth of the Garrobo

Took about three-hours, but my mates learned to use a ratchet and how to identify basic parts.

The engine is seized up tight. Turning the wheel got us nowhere. What do you expect? The damn battery in it is dated somewhere from the early to mid 80's.

Going to drop some magic fluids into the cylinder and let it sit for a while. Then we'll tear the head off some other time.

My mates will be in charge of the monkey work; cleaning parts and paint-prepping.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    324.1 KB · Views: 259
Well some turn of events have helped us to decide not to keep the bike the original (totally rad) green. We had a theme that was too great to turn down.

The theme is not going to be revealed unless somebody happens to guess along the build.

I turn the guys loose on some parts and they came out much better than expected. Amazing how taking off 30 years of build-up can spunk up an ole forgotten treasure.

As far as the engine, it was locked up dead-tight. Without any fluids in the cylinder, I instead blew some compressed air into the plug hole and she spun around about two or three turns. Within twenty-minutes the head and cylinder was off. The piston rings are seized tight.

Depending on my cylinder measurements, we can reuse this piston. If we have to go up a size, we'll get the appropriate piston and rings set.

Compare our chainguard to when she was sitting in a heap!

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 279
Nice man. I was trying to get my hands on one of these for about a year but the owner always looked at it and said "I'm not sure now" PITA lol.
Good to see that she has been saved and is getting the care she needs. That chain guard came out great. Lets see how the "monkeys" go with the rims lol.

Oh oh let me guess the theme are you building a pile of engine parts that you cant figure out how to put together. ::) you guys could run one of your race exhaust systems on it or a custom boom box. so you can listen to winger or stixs when your kicken it with your blokes & mates in the lone star state

HA tell him spokes are lighter so it will go faster. Also you can put playing cards in spokes lol.

Brodie said:
HA tell him spokes are lighter so it will go faster. Also you can put playing cards in spokes lol.

I think if you ride before eating dinner it will go fast enough for these crack-ups.

Oh yeah, if we put cards in then it would actually sound like a motor, huh?

Thanks mate ;D

Texastar and zeke may as well of bought a snow cone as a gift for a bonfire. on the brite side it will be eazy to throw away now that its apart after you screw the engine up. hahaha its a good thing your a race team owner / motorcycle restoration expert / artist, and not a doctor or a crossing guard

Yeah it is a bit like that. On the minibike forum I am on we considered the weight savings of using the toilet before a ride. Mind you most of the bikes over there are 50cc frames with 140cc engines stuffed in so weight isn't really a problem.

A bit of cut and polish and the paint should come up fine. Ohh and stick a 26mm Oko flat slide carb on if you are chasing power. cheap and easy way to get a decent boost.

Ah I'm glad another moped'er found this. Not many fellas willing to take on anything that isn't a big loud Harley ::) They'd have so much more fun if they could.

I'm definitely looking for an O.K.O. carb for this, but trying to match the port has me a little bit beat. Any idea what to do with the bolt-on port?

You could name your fab shop fullofshitcycles or fosc for short if you want to be dcc hip

haircuttergirl said:
You done yet?

Gee, thanks. Not yet, we have to find something to gnaw away half the damn seat foam. Then, only then, will we have something to show.

Redliner said:
Gee, thanks. Not yet, we have to find something to gnaw away half the damn seat foam. Then, only then, will we have something to show.
I hear shark bite seats are all the rage right now.

haircuttergirl said:
I hear shark bite seats are all the rage right now.

Well we were being dismembered by street sharks long before sharks could even walk. I'm not even interested now. Our new seat will be...guh, it's hard to explain and you wouldn't understand anyway. It's more like a concept of an idea, per se. You still don't even get it. Totally deck.

You should make a seat outta your head i mean its already up your ass

Redliner said:
Ah I'm glad another moped'er found this. Not many fellas willing to take on anything that isn't a big loud Harley ::) They'd have so much more fun if they could.

I'm definitely looking for an O.K.O. carb for this, but trying to match the port has me a little bit beat. Any idea what to do with the bolt-on port?

Ha I am not a moped'er, More of a Z50A enthusiast. I had a custom intake manifold made for my mini-cafe ('69 Z50A with a 160cc stuffed in).
It looks to be a similar bolt pattern to a few of the aftermarket boots for the Z50 intake manifold. Check this against your measurements
CARB-008.jpg

Back
Top Bottom