The Dirty DR (a DR350 build)

JustinLonghorn

No Purple Hearts, No Blue Ribbons
So, as some of y'all know, I picked up a DR350 for $100.

20141115_121912_zpsousxaa6z.jpg

The bike has great compression. Has spark.

Mike (M511Y) soaked the carb in a bucket of carb cleaner for a handful of days. I cleaned out all of the jets. Threw it on the bike and...

Still won't start. Ha. Discovered that the clutch side cover is cracked and is leaking a ton of oil. Ordered a replacement for $30.

Checked the valves last night. Intake were spot on. Exhaust were too tight adjusted accordingly.

I also discovered that the carb I have is definitely not stock, and way too big. It also started pissing fuel everywhere last night.

If I can get this thing started, I will probably aim for something like this as my end result.

Dr350_zpshsa5qgnn.jpg

Still needed parts:

Stock muffler/mid pipe
Stock carb
Throttle and cables

all the DR350 you could ever want http://www.kientech.com/index.htm. the stock CV carb is Junk FYI. I got the pumper carb from kientech and it is night and day, worth the price.

Here was a shot of the one I supermoto-ed 10 years ago with gs500 rims. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6643297&postcount=18 (another forum though delete if against the rules.)

Yep, nothing like a cheap trail bike for a good build. Nice score Justin.

Buddy of mine had the same bike Justin if you still cant get it fired up after the carb fix look behind left side cover for a short !

Back in the day I had an XT500 that I couldn't start.
It wasn't that it was broken, I had just not eaten enough pies.

Still have no clue why it won't start. Some of the DR guys I have talked to have mentioned that after sitting for a while it takes more than the kicker to get it started. Good thing my street goes slightly downhill. One cat even had a buddy pull his DR behind a truck for a bump start. Ha.

Anyway, bought a seat for $30 shipped. Huzzah!

20141210_172154_zpsvbxhaqnf.jpg

check the vent hoses. look for a leak. these were super finicky if one of the vents was off. Look for the T vent mod.

also petcock SUCKed. lookup the raptor petcock mod.

If you took the stock airbox off. Put it back on. The air jets are huge on the CV and need to have the airbox level of restriction. If you just want it to fire make the hole over the intake of the carb smaller just to test.

Then check the valves are in spec of course.

Someone mentioned the wiring to the main fuse. These were also notorious for shorts in the kickstand (dies when put in to first) and the clutch (no start).

Back
Top Bottom