Nighthawk Brat Tracker

bittenbythecafe

Well not to far along on this build but wanted to throw it out and see if I am headed in the right direction. Going for a "brat" look with a tracker feel.This is what it started out as a beat up cb450sc.

P2010095.jpg

Started with swapping the tank and stripping it down. Found a box of transfer decals from the 50-60s and thought I would put them to use. Chopped the rear off of the 450 bent up some round bar and welded it to the frame. Going to pods need to rejet but quite responsive as is. Mounted an old bates looking headlight. Cut up some huge harley muffs and shortned them to stubbies. Had a rear fender that I had fab up for another build but thought it would work for this one. Took some flat steel and made a fake oil bag to store the electrics. Going to have to mount the battery under the bike (still yet to do). Made a seat pan slapped some foam on it and had my MOM make this seat cover. Now that the weather is cooling off looking forward to spending more time in the garage and working on this.

DSCN1730.jpg

DSCN1769.jpg

DSCN1771.jpg

DSCN1770.jpg

DSCN1772.jpg

After looking at the Preview. I am going straight out and clean the garage. WOW

Straight up RAD! I'd personally like to see a more unique exhaust set-up. Might be in the works...? Its dope none the less...

Nice, A high exhaust like Swapps said would look better, but doing a great job, the seat and rear hoop really fits well. Those mid 80's 450's got beat hard with the ugly stick in factory trim.

The bike is a 85 this is the second build that I have done to it. The first was ok but used to much of the original plastic.

DSCN0519.jpg

I ended up painting the rear fender a dark grey/black, I used appliance paint on the frame after some bondo. I came across an old trailer light that I think I can stretch to work, so which one do you think looks better. I am going to take the exhaust and put it on the left side, more of a tracker look. Pics to come.

DSCN1828.jpg

Original tail light I made the rear fender to use.... cheap trailer light.

DSCN1829.jpg

Glass trailer light from the 50's 60's

Leaning towards the glass one.

Cold out tonight. Well got the headlight back on , speedo mounted and swapped out bars with some chrome, might paint them black.... I think I am going to strip the aluminum paint from the forks. Also lowered the front end about 1 1/4" and it sits nice and low now. Here are a couple pics where you can see the headlight position and if you look under the front of the tank you can see where the ignition was positioned. Now on to the exhaust, I know they should be mounted on the left side for the true tracker but I am leaning towards the right.

RSCN1858.jpg

DSCN1857.jpg

Question. Never really done an exhaust. Is there anything that should not be done? I was thinking of making my own 2 into 1 and played around with some pipe tonight. Tried to use the lil photobucket tools to draw in the missing pieces. (play nice)

DSCN1881-1.jpg

When doing a 2 into 1 does each pipe have to be the same length before collecting? Looking for a bit of advice before getting to carried away. Tried searching forum before asking to no avail. Thanks

no not really, there's plenty of examples of dissimilar length pipes that are 2 into 1. Optimal tuning would have them the same length, but your motor isn't temperamental.

So tonight I was able to weld the pipes up and will test it before wrapping them. I also might shorten the muffler depending on the sound. Ended up not going with the high exhaust as was having trouble bending the pipe. Even using sand the pipe would start to distort when going into tight bends. Overall real happy with the outcome. Had a pitbike exhaust and drilled out the rivets on the tip and riveted it on the original muffler. Have to drop the rear brake pedal down a bit tomorrow.

DSCN1942.jpg

DSCN1927.jpg

Next up removing the rear fender/electric container and repainting. Then fire her up and see where I have to go from there.

She fired up with a bit of hesitation but sounds good and no leaks. I am going to have to re-jet the carbs for sure. Got the rear fender repainted tonight still have to fab up a battery holder under the bike or anyone have any recommendations on tiny sealed batterys?

Last night saw quite a bit get done. I stripped the front forks and repainted black, the front tire had a small leak so that is another job. Got the headlight and rear fender repainted. Much better flow I feel. Had to pull the upholstery off and redo to get it to tuck in all the way around. I started playing with some header wrap and trying different methods to have the collector area look good. One thing I learned is wrap from the muffler up. Well here a couple pics of last nights work.

DSCN1990.jpg

Seat really flows with the seat hoop.

DSCN2008.jpg

The transition I think looks good. Going to wrap with the black. Maybe tomorrow. ::)

DSCN2003.jpg

Picture of the rear. Just love the look. Fat beat up tank, small skinny seat.

Thanks guys. Not much done in the last few days. Did get the front wheel cleaned up and painted after replacing a valve stem. The painting went well did the old card trick and came out nice. Cleaned up the disc and it will be ready to mount when the forks have had a few more days to harden. I brought the exhaust in and wrapped it and turned out great, looking forward to bolting it up after picking up new studs and nuts. Couple pics.

DSCN2010.jpg

DSCN2022.jpg

DSCN2030.jpg

Bruno, I am going to copy your tail lights on my next build (700s nighthawk) for sure. Bike is turning out great following your thread.

Back
Top Bottom