Nighthawk 250 first build.

Baffle

I recently purchased a 94 cb250 nighthawk from a friend for $500. It has 1,800 miles on it and runs like a champion. After taking some time to learn how to ride, I started working on making it my own.

Here is my workshop. My roommate also has the same nighthawk, but needs to get it registered. The other bike is a Yamaha xs 400 and belongs to a friend of mine. He decided to go the cafe racer route.

photo%2B%25288%2529.JPG

I mounted the license plate off to the side with a vintage style light from DCC.

photo%2B%25281%2529.JPG

I removed the airbox and replaced it with a pod. I also modified the battery box to fit under the seat area.

photo%2B%25286%2529.JPG

I removed the cluster of indicator lights and relocated the speedo to the center. I still have a neutral light, but it isn't visible in this pic.

photo%2B%25283%2529.JPG

Here is a shot of the front. All I've done here is painted the fender and mounted some bar end mirrors.

photo%2B%25289%2529.JPG

Here are a couple shots of the full bike. I wasn't a big fan of the huge megaphone mufflers, so I chopped them short. I'm waiting on a pair of 11" shocks from DCC. When I get them put on, I'm going to make a seat that doesn't look like garbage using the street sign trick and some type of cool leather or vinyl. My current seat is just the old seat chopped up and the foam sanded down. I'm also going to mount a steel fender. What I have on there now is just a part of the old plastic fender cut short. It doesn't really protect the electronics and engine from splashing and debris.

photo%2B%25284%2529.JPG

photo%2B%25287%2529.JPG

After shimming the float needle and upping the jet sizes, this little bike runs like a champion.

Let me know what you all think. Any and all comments are welcome. Thanks for checking it out!

Looking good, bro! I like where you're going with this.

Have you pulled the front fender off yet just to see what she looks like without it?

Thanks a lot! :)

I did pull the fender off, and I really liked to look. However, after lurking DTT, I've learned that having a front fender is a good idea.

Last night I relocated the ignition to the right side under the front of the tank and dropped the speedo down so it flows better and looks more flush. Just waiting on those shorty shocks from DCC so I can get the back fender mounted and a nice seat on there.

Yeah front fenders are extremely important. I learned that the hard way on two occasions.

One was after a good rain shower, and the second was at about 85 mph. :eek:

You could always trim down the front fender just enough where it keeps the forks connected. I ended up doing that and alleviated the second problem. That way you could still have the "fender less" look if you wanted it.

Either way you go, it's looking good!

aefd047e-470d-d0d4.jpg

I just grinded the rivets off that hold the finder to the finder mount and painted it black. I think it looks great and does the job of a brace perfectly. Just pull over when it rains, avoid puddles and you'll be fine! Lol

I made a pair of struts and mounted them and my new rear fender yesterday. Still waiting on lower shocks from DCC, hopefully I get them some time next week. Then I can put on a new seat and be done with major modifications, for now anyway. I want to cut the fender up to the shock mounts, but am hesitant since it looks like some of the support for the shocks extend back to where I have already cut the frame to. Would it still be OK to cut the frame down or should I leave it extended like that?

562735_10150741766842833_645712832_9857072_196489381_n.jpg

If you cut the frame you should weld a cross member to connect the two sides where you cut the frame down.

I've been pretty busy these past couple weeks working on this bike. I don't have a camera at the moment that I'd want to use to post pictures with, but am waiting on a GoPro, which should be here friday. I made a new seat which looks far cleaner and flows much better than my old one, chopped the frame about 2 inches from the top shock mounts, trimmed the exhaust down so it no longer flares, and modified those aluminum brackets at the bottom so they no longer look like something off a sport bike. I've also disconnected the kill switch and headlight switch and mounted toggle switches. I'm waiting on foot pegs, drag bars, throttle assembly, clutch and break levers and grips, which should be here this week or early next week. I'll post a bunch of pictures once my GoPro comes in.

Here is a photo update of my bike so far.

I got new shocks from DCC which lowered it the perfect amount.

photo+(3).JPG

I'm waiting on new bars, so I decided to flip my stock ones. I thought some people on here might like this look since it is closer to cafe style. It was a pain getting the throttle to not stick. I learned a lot about cable tension this weekend.

photo+(2).JPG

Just a couple other shots

photo+(1).JPG

photo.JPG

I guess I didn't word the question correctly. I know I need to have some type of crossbar. I was talking about the brace that is under the tubing where the shock mounts. I'm not going to take the frame any shorter than the factory welded crossbar. Thanks for the advice though.

Yea, I didn't take any good shots of it, sorry. Thanks for taking the time to explain that to me, though.

I've always wanted to do one of these as a project, there are soo many of these in Hong Kong and can be so so cheap.
I think you've made a good start, I'd change that tank though.. not a fan of the way the stock tank looks....

Thanks man. I'm not a huge fan of the tank either. I was thinking of getting one of those smaller alien tanks or something. It works for now though. I also want to do something with the paint other than cliche flat black. I've been riding the bike while working on it, so I wanted to have something on there to prevent rusting and that I wouldn't mind if it got messed up.

Swivel, I'd never want to stab someone in the neck for trying to help. I'm sure bradj is a nice guy.... :)

@ Swivel, to each their own ;)
@ Baffle, do you have any baffles in those pipes? Also you going to leave the area under the seat open or do you plan on building some side covers? I hear you with riding the bike while working on it, I just got the backend of my bobber back on and have been riding it every day since, now I just need to find time to make it all pretty and such! I hear you on the flat black... my rear end is flat black too at the moment until I pull my finger out my arse and go buy more paint :p I'm sure if you keep your eyes out you'll find an appropriate tank for your build!

I don't plan on doing any side covers, but I'm keeping my eye out for something cool I can use as a battery box. I may just end up making one. Those pipes don't have any baffles, pretty much just headers. I like 'em loud :)

You could just do the simple battery tray out of two pieces of ally and two long bolts, I'll snag a picture of my one if you want. Its just 2 small ally plates with 2 long M10 bolts that kind of sandwich the battery in place

Back
Top Bottom